Tecumseh "Kirby" Restoration

Hey all!

After not posting here for quite sometime due to being caught up with other commitments, I decided that it was time to post something.

A few days ago I went and picked up my newest purchase, a Kirby Tecumseh. I know many here won't be familiar with this name, so I thought that I'd share what I know about this rare unit with everyone here on the forum.

Kirby Lauson, or Kirby Tecumseh engines were manufactured in Australia throughout the 1960's and into the early 1970's. All engines manufactured under the Kirby name are internally the same as any regular Tecumseh manufactured in the United States, although some obvious physical changes were made.

The engine I bought is called an HK30, which is the same as an H30 or H35, the K signifying Kirby. If the serial numbers are read the same as any other Tec, this one was built in 1970.

Some differences you may notice between this and a US assembled engine are the the inlet manifold and carb, the I.D tag, air cleaner and fuel tank mounting bracket. On some Kirby's, they even had their own muffler design!

The HK Kirby engines weren't the only Australian developed Tecumseh however, I also own a VK30, which is a Vertical shaft mower engine very similar to the American made LAV30. This one has a really cool wind up starter, and an interesting but really retro fuel tank and chrome bezel. A photo of this engine will be provided at a later date :thumbsup:

This thread will follow the exterior restoration of my Kirby HK30. After only a few days, I have almost completed the restoration.

Cheers! (sorry for the long read)
-Jack

Getting there..:thumbsup:

Painted with VHT black and coated in 2K gloss clear.

capguncowboy

very cool write up!

That tag looks like the Lauson tags here in the US. I was unaware of the Kirby versions. Thanks for the write up.

Great job on the restoration

The fuel tank went back on today! Painted in 2K gloss black last night. The recoil also went back on! The original early lauson starter, which are slimmer than the standard Tecumseh starter was broken, so I took parts from an H25. By using a U.S made flywheel and starter cup, I am able to run the standard Tecumseh starter. It's really starting to come together now, I'm loving the 2K paint :thumbsup:

I will be purchasing a dial indicator soon to ensure my ignition timing is as accurate as possible. I've been meaning to get one for a long time, but I think I'll bite the bullet and purchase one to ensure this engine runs as good as it looks. Wish me luck!

Thanks for the input fellas! I think I'll be ordering a brand new cheapo carb tonight..$20 with free shipping for a brand new carb sounds tempting! The original carb has a pretty rusty fuel bowl, and the original main jet screw that holds the bowl on is lone gone...:shrug:

Then the only thing left to do will be to make an air filter and get my timing correct.

Very interesting to see the other variants of the motor most in the mini bike community are familiar with in the USA, especially those who grew up with these engines in the 1950's thru the 1990's. I know North America got Lauson and Tecumseh, New Zealand and Australia - Kirby, and Italy got Aspera motors, which have a curved intake fins and maybe a few other small identifying characteristics which I am not exactly sure of. Mostly the difference between the motors was branding I believe. Very cool engines and nice to see one being preserved!

Very cool Jackeo. Great job on the restoration. And thank you for taking the time to post the detail. It helps us learn.

Keep up the good work.....:thumbsup:

Jack, this is a very cool engine. Great job of building it and providing details that most of us in the Northern Hemisphere weren't aware of! I'd love to have this engine with the Kirby ID on it, on a vintage bike here. Awesome job.

Jack, this is a very cool engine. Great job of building it and providing details that most of us in the Northern Hemisphere weren't aware of! I'd love to have this engine with the Kirby ID on it, on a vintage bike here. Awesome job.
Thank you very much Dave! It took me quite a while to get the paint nice and smooth and looking good but I got there in the end :thumbsup: Whilst I was originally going to put this on a New Zealand built garden tiller I restored, I decided that it will find a home on my Tru-Test (Lil Indian).

There aren't too many Kirbys left nowadays, I see a few around on auction sites but haven't personally picked up another...yet!

Stay tuned, my carbs haven't arrived yet :shrug:

Does the crank turn the opposite on engines made "dan unda"?:laugh:
She's just the same as your standard American tec :laugh:

Which is a good thing as I didn't initially plan on mounting it the opposite way around on my minibike!

Apologies to all for the lack of updates on this engine. After purchasing a much larger project, this little fella has been neglected for some time but recent motivation has seen it starting and running after much timing frustration.

I'll be sure to get some photos of it in its new home on my Tru-Test! Fingers crossed it makes more power than the Briggs 3HP that it is succeeding.

Thanks all!
-Jack

All set to ride! Really stands out on the orange bike. What does everybody think?

It actually runs really well, I'm learning about how difficult these tecs can be to tune right so that they start and idle cold and maintain the same idle whilst hot. Difficult stuff but I have it pretty much nailed.

I enjoyed this resto, looks much better than it did before I started and hopefully will last many years to come.

Thanks all!
-Jack