Tecumseh Power Sport Idling problems

This is an approx. 2 year old Tec 0HH60 6 HP engine that came on a used mini bike I purchased. It has the carburetor with the infamous "primer bulb":eek:ut:, however that is not the problem at this time (yet?). The engine has good power, and runs very smooth other than at low idle. I believe that it still has the governor connected, however not sure.:shrug: I have no idea of any servicing (especially carburetor) history on the engine.
I cannot get the engine to idle down properly to where I think the rpm should be. If I set it where I think it should be, it idles rough and eventually stalls out. I have to keep the throttle "juiced" a bit to keep it going. Same thing happens when first starting it or after running it hard and letting off on the throttle, it will eventually slow down and stall if I do not keep the throttle up a bit.
I can get it to idle smoother and not stall by adjusting the idle screw up a bit, however with the increased rpm the clutch just begins to engage slightly and the bike will start to "creep" with no one on it. I do not see any other carb adjustment screws on this engine (they may indeed be there, however I do not see them). Would greatly appreciate any guidance form the many experienced minds on this forum!

oldfatguy

I had the same problem with mine, cleaning the idle port in the main jet helped. it is a real small hole in the side of the brass jet about halfway up . There are two holes in the side of the jet , the larger one near the bottom and the idle feed passage in the middle. you might need a magnifying glass to see it, just poke it out with a piece of wire.
Also make sure that there is no dirt in the tank, it helps to drain a tank full of gas out through the carb once you remove the main jet from the bottom

Thank you "oldfatguy" for the information and education!:smile: Do you by chance have a photo or graphic of the carb showing the location of this idle port/main jet? While I consider myself reasonably competent on most mini-bike repairs and parts replacements, I will readily and candidly admit that I am "carburetor-challenged", having never performed any repairs on them (I have never even removed one from an engine) at all. Knowing this, is this procedure best performed by a professional? If I take it to a small (lawn mower?) engine repair shop, what do I ask them to do? Do I simply explain the symptoms and let THEM diagnose it? Would it be standard procedure fro them to clean the carb and jets during a "general" servicing? (I know, lots of questions!)
Thank you again!:thumbsup:

oldfatguy

it's very simple to do, the jet is in the bolt that holds on the fuel bowl on the bottom of the carb. just unscrew it and let the gas drain into something, all you need to do is clean out the two small holes in the side of that brass bowl nut,a piece of copper wire works good for this. then spray the inside with carb cleaner. I put a brand new carb on mine but still started having problems because there was dirt in the tank .Another thing you can try after you clean that main jet is to put you thumb over the open end of the carb while it's running, just rev it and choke it holding it wide open this will suck the dirt out of the passages inside the carb. Also there is a screw in the side of the carb that you can take out and clean the same way, it may have a plastic cover over it that you will need to pry off.http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/tecumseh_series_11.asp
this should help

Last edited:
that is great advice ofg i had to do the same thing when i had one of those tech ohv 6hp's i eventualy changer out for a brigg's intek carb worked great i was getting 40mph with this carb and a hogged out muffler lol 12-72 gearing

Thanks Oldfatguy for the link to the great tutorial!:drinkup:
Using that as a guide it looks like even this old "carb-challenged" minibiker may have a good shot at completing this myself.:1orglaugh:
I noticed that there are gaskets sealing the rim of the bowl to the carb and the screw to the bowl- is it customary to replace these every time the bowl is removed? That is to say, do they get compressed down and are a one-time use only?:confused:
Kindest r:wink:egards

oldfatguy

no,you can reuse them as long they are not torn or damaged. it's aways a good idea to have extra parts like that, I even save the old gaskets just so that I have an emergency replacement

When I remove the screw and drop the bowl, doesn't fuel continue to drain out from the gas tank?:confused: Don't I need to drain the tank or disconnect the fuel line to the carb before I attempt this procedure?:confused:
Thank you.

it never hurts to clean those carbs just make sure you put it back together exactly the same or else it will leak the olny thing i recently did was bore out the main plastic jet a little because of high flow air filter and exaust.I just clamp my line closed from the tank when working on mine and always use a fuel filter my engine also runs just like that but olny after i took off the govener befor that it idled super low and clean.havent messed with throttle set up enough to figer out how to fix yet sorry.

ogsigh,
What do you use to clamp of the fuel hose? Where do you purchase the fuel filter and where do you install it? (Sounds like a great idea)
Thank you

even the smallest particles clog my jet(the one that goes through the bolt)so i go to autozone and get a plastic filter for about 3.00. I like clear plastic filters but theres are almost clear just so i can see if the fuel is going through i also pull the fuel line out install new and rap it around the shaft side of the block. i tie it to a bolt that i put in a hole on the intake manifold so it doesnt hang. i buy a few feet of extra fuel line just incase not auto zones it sucks. my line sits at top of the crank case you just cut the line inhalf above the shaft and connect the filter to both ends then the filter will keep the line off the engine and gas will flow fine i started doing this to all my dirt bikes and minis because i live in mojave desert and always have crap in my tanks. hope im not confusing and sorry about writing i h8t to type:thumbsup:

sorry i forgot i clamp it with any thing that will keep it closed, wont hurt it, and stay there c clamp any locking pliers. you can also put a pice of fabric inbetween the clamp/pliers and hose so it doesnt hurt it(rip or tear):hammer:

ogsigh,
Thank you for the information- it was sincerely appreciated.:smile:
:eek:fftopic:We have been wanting to ride our minis out there in Mojave- where do you ride?:confused:

i mob my minis on the street:scooter:but the hole mojave is a desert and every thing is always changing willow springs race track is by rosamond plus lots of dirt bike trails i live in lancaster lots of desert but in la county where its illegal to ride now:cursing:

Ok people i have figured it out i have a 5 ho tecumseh power sport motor that wouldnt idle i cleaned every jet and replaced every seal there is in the carb and still wouldnt idle i was ready to junk the motor but i checked the valve clearance i was determind to defet this problem so i took the head off and cleaned the piston and reseated the valves and put back together with a new gasket fired it up and still same prob so i adj the vavles again an it hit me the valve spring wasnt holding so i took them off and streched them for more tension and put everything back together and fired it up the motor now has more compression and now idles smooth and runs like a dream i looked everywhere for this and all i found was people having the same problem so i hope this helps and saves u some time :scooter:

The problem is the fuel mixture.. They are so lean they won't run.. If you loosen the idle jet up so it's loose and falling out, you can use the very first 1/2 of a turn in the threads, as adjustment in the fuel mixture.. Being loose, the idle jet leaks inside the passage of the carb, and increases the amount of fuel..

YOU HAVE TO booger up the threads, or adjust the screw, then lock it down with some silicone over the top, to keep the jet from moving after you've loosened it..

Not a factory fix, but works awesome for free, and is about ALL you can do, other than change the carb out with an older one..

oldfatguy

I did that and uses some plumbers white teflon tape on the threads it worked great because I could never get my 6hp to idle even with a brand new carb.