Tecumseh Powersport 6.0HP Engine Restoration

Today i decided to bust out my ole tecumseh junk engine and giver her a clean up. Then i decided to restore it. It came off a yerf dog go kart that my buddy bought. It sat for years on end so the carburetor is filled with corrosion and grime. My buddy immediately pulled this motor and bought himself a tillitson 212e hemi electric start engine. So i brought the motor home and it sat for a few months in my garage, waiting to be shown some love

Today i brought it out, and started to dissamble the engine an remove the recoil, gas tank, carburetor and the muffler guard/cage. The block is heavily corroded as well. Im going to eventually powerwash the engine and use a wire brush and some sort of cleaner to help remove the corrosion.

I think this a neat piece of karting history. From when tecumseh stepped up to the plate and supplied engines to the karting manufacturers when Briggs and Stratton stopped supplying them. So to me, it has a bit of nostalgia. Back when go-karts were real go karts and not buggy "go karts" that we have today.

I have a couple questions about this engine
1. How much torque does it make?
2. How many cc is it?
3. Bore and stroke?
4. Whats out there aftermarket wise?
5. Are these reliable engines?

If anyones interested, please take a look at my YouTube channel where i have the teardown of this engine. Im no master at video productions or engine building but i do know some good stuff id like to share with every one.

Heres the link to my channel and the video of the tecumseh engine teardown part 1

Attachments

joshua. c.

I like these engines I have one on my trike that has been running strong with no smoke for over 10 years now. as far as aftermarket there's a billet rod for it but no billet flywheel and you can take a metal cam from a tecumseh hs50 ( hs40 5 0r 5 hp tecumseh flathead.) and send it in to isky racing or dyno cams for a more aggressive re grind. and you'll need stronger springs to go with that. talk to the shop you send it to about which ones you'll need. and this engine really likes a header and a bigger carb and a timing advance (30 degrees btdc.) a tecumseh 10 hp fully adjustable carb bolts right up to this engine and even hooks up to the stock throttle linkage. it just needs a quick tune and instant power boost. as far as reliability clean all the rust off the coil and magnet and spray paint them. also run stabile in your fuel and add a fuel cut off valve and a fuel filter and shut the fuel off and run the carb dry after every run. if you do this it greatly improves reliability. even with these tricks you will still have to clean the carb once in a while, possibly once a season. the cc is listed on the sticker near the model number. there are two sizes the larger being 199cc and the smaller being around 172cc.

as far as power it can make great power when modded correctly. but the parts are hard to find and most engine builders will tell you the head it has doesn't flow all that well. even so I race with mine and with a few more mods hope to start winning. I've been out modded by the competition up until now but I'm going to fix that.