Tecumseh Powersport 6hp

Ok so i recently picked up this motor from a buddy of mine that came off of a yerf dog. Its a tecumseh powersport 6hp OHV engine. I think is engine is pretty cool. I watched a video of someone talking about in the mid 90s briggs stopped selling there motors to the go-kart industries due to lawsuits over injuries. And if i remeber correctly, tecumseh stepped up and started to supply the motors to the companies until the go kart industry crashed in the late 90s to early 2000s. I think because of that its got a nostalgic vibe to it. Anyway the carburetor was filled with corrosion and the air cleaner is gone from it. It still has good compression and will start with a shot of gas in the sparkplug hole or with a shot of ether. Do they still make these carburetors? Are these reliable engines? How to the respond to intake and exhaust mods? Can you still get parts for them? Does anyone have specs on torque output? Is this motor worth holding on too and cleaning up and runnin it. She dont smoke or anything at least the short time i had it running.

Thanks

Attachments

mustangfrank

Ok so i recently picked up this motor from a buddy of mine that came off of a yerf dog. Its a tecumseh powersport 6hp OHV engine. I think is engine is pretty cool. I watched a video of someone talking about in the mid 90s briggs stopped selling there motors to the go-kart industries due to lawsuits over injuries. And if i remeber correctly, tecumseh stepped up and started to supply the motors to the companies until the go kart industry crashed in the late 90s to early 2000s. I think because of that its got a nostalgic vibe to it. Anyway the carburetor was filled with corrosion and the air cleaner is gone from it. It still has good compression and will start with a shot of gas in the sparkplug hole or with a shot of ether. Do they still make these carburetors? Are these reliable engines? How to the respond to intake and exhaust mods? Can you still get parts for them? Does anyone have specs on torque output? Is this motor worth holding on too and cleaning up and runnin it. She dont smoke or anything at least the short time i had it running.

Thanks
The dates are off by a couple decades but they got the gist, the B&S moratorium was closer to the late 60s/1970, nice of them to give all that business to Tecumseh.
If you like it, run it, plenty of parts available for the OHVs and many are common to HS flatheads. There's a couple members on here that have tweaked OHV Tecumsehs, they can chime in on that.

delray

here is a older build with a ohh tecumseh. back before small block clone engines had big stroker cranks and big bore parts and it was fun racing against these guys and beating them with a tecumseh on a 125ft clay drag surface....:scooter: