tecumseh rebuild and restoration

fistfullabar

I would like to get my speedway engine rebuilt and restored to new condition.Anyone i should contact that would be willing to do it or point me in the right direction? Willing to pay whatever is reasonable. Im hoping one of the mini bike master rebuilder on here will let me pay um to do it right. I would like to keep it as stock as possible but would be willing to spend more to make safe and sound. Im thinking of seeing if i can send it to one of the pro go kart builders if they are willing to work on a 40 year old tecumseh engine but who do you guys recommend? Thanks guys hope to hear some feed back soon!!!!!

jrzmac

you're in Florida right? so I would imagine there has to be a lawnmower repair place somewhere nearby.... check the yellow pages! if you can get it off the bike, they will work on it. they wont touch it if it's on a minibike so don't even mention what you need it for! they might not do it.

fistfullabar

thanks already tried that around here their advice was to buy a predator a harbor freight want to use a pro not these people around here whatever they call themsevles:doah:

fistfullabar, my personal opinion on it is to rebuild it yourself. Parts are cheap, and doing it is just fun (and free, compared to paying someone to do it)

These are NOT complicated engines, they're very easy to redo. Just make sure you torque everything back down, and take your time.

fistfullabar

fistfullabar, my personal opinion on it is to rebuild it yourself. Parts are cheap, and doing it is just fun (and free, compared to paying someone to do it)

These are NOT complicated engines, they're very easy to redo. Just make sure you torque everything back down, and take your time.
i agree i have the time just not the talent ,tools or technical know-how i will however get 100% behind the body work and paint i just want this engine to be special :laugh:

Im a small engine mechanic and have about 10 years exp
I would rebuild it for you if you will order the parts... rod piston rings
Valves valve springs gaskets etc and ship it
To me ? But I agree with boomstick in about an hour you could
Have it done and ready to put on the bike if theres nothing major
Wrong with it

i agree i have the time just not the talent ,tools or technical know-how i will however get 100% behind the body work and paint i just want this engine to be special :laugh:

Trust me friend, there is absolutely no talent needed. Unless something is really, really wrong with the engine, or it has a ton of hours on it, you could probably get away with just installing a new set of rings & doing a quickie valve job (just lapping the seats). Shouldn't take you more than half an hour. Just inspect for unusual galling, scores, pock-marks, cracks, etc.

No, really. Get out your screwdriver, socket set & an adjustable wrench. That's pretty much it. :wink:

It may not even need it.. Just because you've never seen the motor run, doesn't mean there isn't PLENTY of life left in it.. Just needs cleaned up tuned up and shot with paint?? :shrug:

Tecumseh parts are not very cheap anymore.. an HS may not be bad.. But if yoy were talking about putting 20 over piston into an H70 just to say it's in there, you might end up with a 150 dollar adventure into just a new piton and rings and stuff... If you can find them..

fistfullabar

AAAAHHHHH The Restore Kid thanks for chiming in i was hoping i could get some feedback you always killing it with your engines i love what you do p.s. thanks guys for the ideas like i said i want this engine to be special so keep the ideas coming and this engine has really good compression and would run if i just gave it gas and fresh oil engine seems hardly used let alone abused just dirty and the black block paint is flaking off from oxidizing

Trust me friend, there is absolutely no talent needed. Unless something is really, really wrong with the engine, or it has a ton of hours on it, you could probably get away with just installing a new set of rings & doing a quickie valve job (just lapping the seats). Shouldn't take you more than half an hour. Just inspect for unusual galling, scores, pock-marks, cracks, etc.

No, really. Get out your screwdriver, socket set & an adjustable wrench. That's pretty much it. :wink:
You ARE kidding, correct?:no:
Michael

You ARE kidding, correct?:no:
Michael

Nope. It's stupidly simple. It's a single cylinder, valve in block, naturally aspirated 4-stroke with no particular bones about it. Any more simple, and you're talking a two stroke.

We're dealing with engines that are at best sloppy compared to an automotive engine. Mark everything you take apart, mark where it went, what angle it was in at, sketch a diagram on a napkin with a sharpie if you have to.

On a side note, you've never run it??? Chances are, if it has good compression & spark, it'll run A-OK provided the carb isn't gunky. Even then, it'll still pop. Carb cleaning really isn't that hard. None of this is rocket surgery.

Try to get it to run first. If it runs GREAT, don't touch anything internally. Build a header & pipe as you see fit from there for your exhaust needs.

If your cell phone takes good pictures, use it for every single step. You can always go back and see how things should be. Also pay attention to anything that can go together more than one way. Example: the piston and con rod in relation to the block.

Your cell camera is your best friend.

Doc

Nope. It's stupidly simple. It's a single cylinder, valve in block, naturally aspirated 4-stroke with no particular bones about it. Any more simple, and you're talking a two stroke.

We're dealing with engines that are at best sloppy compared to an automotive engine. Mark everything you take apart, mark where it went, what angle it was in at, sketch a diagram on a napkin with a sharpie if you have to.

On a side note, you've never run it??? Chances are, if it has good compression & spark, it'll run A-OK provided the carb isn't gunky. Even then, it'll still pop. Carb cleaning really isn't that hard. None of this is rocket surgery.

Try to get it to run first. If it runs GREAT, don't touch anything internally. Build a header & pipe as you see fit from there for your exhaust needs.
I suggest that you go back and read the OP's second post:
"I agree I have the time, just not the talent, tools, or technical know-how..."
For YOU to state "There is absolutely no talent needed" you are incorrect and grossly over-simplifying what MIGHT be required to get the engine running properly, Hey, I'm all for encouraging a guy (or gal) to work on their engine themselves, but come on, get real...

I suggest that you go back and read the OP's second post:
"I agree I have the time, just not the talent, tools, or technical know-how..."
For YOU to state "There is absolutely no talent needed" you are incorrect and grossly over-simplifying what MIGHT be required to get the engine running properly, Hey, I'm all for encouraging a guy (or gal) to work on their engine themselves, but come on, get real...

The guy already says it has a good deal of compression, and if it has spark, it'll pop as long as the plug is gapped right. This involves looking up the actual data, and using a set of feeler gauges & 30 seconds of his time. If you really think this takes a level of talent, you need a reality check.

These are stupidly simple little engines, and I'm trying to save the guy a little bit of dough that he could put towards his bike.

fistfullabar, shoot a little starting fluid into the carb & yank the cord. If it pops, you're 99% there. Then, it's just a matter of fuel delivery.

fistfullabar

um make model hp thats what im looking for im sure it will fire up this is gonna be part of a resto so i want to be as nice as possible but i want new gaskets and i gotta rebuild the carb

Just looking at what ya got, being in FLA it's whole life, that thing has GOT to run.. That same pipe here in michigan with just rain and snow outside, no thick slat in the air, would have that muffler about rusted off by now..

If it was ever drivin off the paved driveway the front of the engine would be sprayed with salt and sand from the front wheel.. :shrug: Sure looks INCREDIBLY clean to me, for a 45 year old backyard little kids dirtbike engine.. :mellow: