tecumseh rebuild and restoration

fistfullabar

1971 maybe 1972 looks stock number on side cover 19-0-89 im still looking tell me what to look for please thanks off a speedway scorpion 4hp maybe??

Last edited:
Someone PLEASE explain the backwards configuration of this engine. Flywheel on left and clutch on right?? NOT on a Speedway-I don't smoke that much.

fistfullabar

Someone PLEASE explain the backwards configuration of this engine. Flywheel on left and clutch on right?? NOT on a Speedway-I don't smoke that much.
dont let your eye fool ya its just my computer reverses the image for some reason p.s. atkrider i have been waiting to here from you also:detective: p.s. pass it already your are smoking to much

Last edited:
Fist, If ya find someone reliable locally, (florida), update and keep me posted. I got one I would like a pro to redo, rather than my run it and blow it up rebuilds! Ha Ha!

fistfullabar

Fist, If ya find someone reliable locally, (florida), update and keep me posted. I got one I would like a pro to redo, rather than my run it and blow it up rebuilds! Ha Ha!
its looking like a lost call on the local front seems to me that all the lawnmower shops around here would rather drink beer then rebuild a engine they tell me it cost "too much" i will keep trying but it looks like i might have to ship my engine to somebody with a real passion instead of someone just trying to pay the bills :doah:

its looking like a lost call on the local front seems to me that all the lawnmower shops around here would rather drink beer then rebuild a engine they tell me it cost "too much" i will keep trying but it looks like i might have to ship my engine to somebody with a real passion instead of someone just trying to pay the bills :doah:
I had the same problem locally. The shops were only interested in OHV engines, and renting power washers and generators. I had an engine in the shop for two months, and all they'd done was to replace the brand new condenser I'd installed.

That's when I decided to buy the proper tools and measuring equipment, and do my own. Not difficult at all, if you're slightly handy in the shop.

Check out Glenn Baine's Duster with the Tecumseh side popper. From what I understand, he does outside work from time to time.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/O...ns-vintage-class-duster-build.html#post626847

Glenn's work:

toomanytoys

It does "cost too much". You can buy a predator for 99 dollars.

Or spend money and time buying parts for an old engine.

I know how they view it. But to us, that old Tecumseh or old briggs is worth more to us than a 99 dollar predator.

My advice, buy the tools, and find a manual. Learn how to do it yourself. Not only does it save you money, you will learn new skills, and have a sense of accomplishment.

fistfullabar

I had the same problem locally. The shops were only interested in OHV engines, and renting power washers and generators. I had an engine in the shop for two months, and all they'd done was to replace the brand new condenser I'd installed.

That's when I decided to buy the proper tools and measuring equipment, and do my own. Not difficult at all, if you're slightly handy in the shop.

Check out Glenn Baine's Duster with the Tecumseh side popper. From what I understand, he does outside work from time to time.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/O...ns-vintage-class-duster-build.html#post626847

Glenn's work:

yo dave love your bikes man what is the big wheeled spoke bike in your avatar glens work is outstanding but i want to see the broncco cafe racer he was doing a while back get done if it aint yet

yo dave love your bikes man what is the big wheeled spoke bike in your avatar glens work is outstanding but i want to see the broncco cafe racer he was doing a while back get done if it aint yet
Thanks! The spoke wheel bike is a Cat "Wildcat." Also sold in Canada under the name "Keystone."

It came with the original H35 Tecumseh. I replaced the carb, replaced with .010 over rings, honed, new points, condenser, and magneto. Repro decals and matte paint. That's why I and others are encouraging you to give it a try- if I can do it, anyone can, though it has been recommended the likes of me take it to a shop. LOL, TRIED THAT. :laugh:

That Cat by the way, is one of the most ill-handling bikes I've ridden. At my size, the bars are in my knees and it just feels all wrong. New clutch should be in today, and I've just completed sealing the plastic tank.

It's also for sale. :laugh:

The problem with small engine places is they are retarded... :laugh:

I can't say THAT exactly, I mean, thats stereotyping.. Not EVERYbody who works at a small engine repair place is stupid.. BUT it does seam to be that they hire ding dongs who really don't know much.. It's just a shop charging 80 bucks per hour, to pay the light bill, pay some dingdong 12 bucks per hour, and pay themselves handsomely.... For sharpening blades, changing spark plugs, chainging oil.. Tune ups...

Then ya get your shit back 478 dollars later and it's still broke... Because dingdongs are retarded.. :laugh:

Ya have the certified guys that have been to school and know what every piston and connecting rod is really called, the scientific name.. But still don't have any sense... Don't even WANNA have to ATTEMPT to get this old dinosaur, which I never see, running and fixed up, when I am plenty busy doing a 1/2 assed job of sharpening blades for 60 bucks per hour all day...

Same with engineers... Educated idiot.. to engineer something, you need brains and sense... BUT engineeer, is someone who thought "that sounds like a cool job" so they go to school to learn how to be smart????? :shrug:

AND again, thats a load of crap.. Hell a good buddy of mine is an engineer, and he is fcking brilliant...

SO, they're out there.. There absolutely is some old guy hanging over a Briggs 18 horse with a flywheel in his hand, who honestly has been there, done it, likes it, and has a brain, who thinks back about bein a kid on a minibike, who could easily do it for you and smile about it...

BUT, then he has some huge buisiness telling him, "HEY we don't piss that stupid shit, get back to sharpening those blades" :glare:

But... yeah, to find someone who knows what they are doing, because they ARE smart, have been doing it forever because they love it, with no over head and schooling costing ya 80 bucks per hour, you're pretty well screwed... People like that work for themselves, because having some over educated spoiled kid DUMFCK telling you to do something wrong, because I'm the boss, doesn't fly...

You're best off going out into the swamp lands where everybody has to make for himself, and ask him to do it for ya.. :laugh:

OR find someone on OldMiniBikes to do it for ya, because thats how alot of THESE people get here.. They are the ones who KNOW and do it because they like it.. :thumbsup:

fistfullabar

words of wisdom from a wise dome and thats why OldMiniBikes will rock ya socks off i think i found some one with the right combo of time talent and tools not that im in a rush but me want it to look factory fresh mon TRK you so right but it is worse in fla a lest there used to be manufacturing and machine shops down here its all piss poor service industry with very little industrial history this tourist trap of a state:doah::doah::2guns::scooter:

Shewwwww those things can be a bitch.. Get some PB blaster blastered in there everywhere deep as ya can and let it sit for a day or 3... Then heat that tube up real quick with a torch.. You'lll probably want some kind of pickle fork idea going on pushing the sheeve off.. Let it set for a while soaking, get your fork wedged in there starting to put preasure then hit it with the heat and tap a little more tension into it as ya go.. It'll probably be a bitch.. :laugh: