Tecumseh Throttle/Big Block Repro Q&A !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread has morphed into Joe51 gathering data and interest about reproducing the correct H Series 'big block' linkage and brackets Please read through and then post any questions or interest.

I have been working on my Wards bike, I built a HS50 for it and came up with this throttle set up. There is no governor so I needed to come up with something. I've used this set up before but this is the cleanest I've done so I thought I would share it.

Here is a bracket I made. It is threaded to accept a pipe reducer like you would see on a kart. The bell crank I salvaged from a old minibike back plate that was junk, and the rods I make from stainless bike spokes. The torsion spring is the Tec #32923. I had to rebend the hook to the opposite side to hook over the edge of the shroud.

I mocked it up and found the spot for the stud.

And here it is installed. Very simple. And best yet it is all junk I had laying around!

Last edited:
Nice job!!! Clean and simple. I was thinking on making a set up like that for a H60. Less moving parts is always better. Keep up the good work Randy. Nice engine also.

Looks good, but don't make too many. Some poor kid will have a wobbly wheel on his bike.:oops:
Hi Texas Jim. I thought you where hibernating? Are you going to make it up this way?

Nice job!!! Clean and simple. I was thinking on making a set up like that for a H60. Less moving parts is always better. Keep up the good work Randy. Nice engine also.
Thanks, I thought it looked good. And it's functional. The engine should run well. I built two of them. They are twins, even the numbers. They where those orange snow blower engines. They are stock, but fresh and I cut both the heads on them, moved the timing to .38 in the hole using Brandt's method. And drilled/tapped the cranks for a bolt. I was going to put the other one on a kart. But now I'm going to put a Mc on it. So I guess I have a spare.

Hi Texas Jim. I thought you where hibernating? Are you going to make it up this way?

Not hibernating, just slowed way down. Spring is here now, I hope. I'm on the move again now. I'll be up in June. I want to go check out Windber. I'm keeping an eye out for some new junk up there to bring back.

Let me know if you need anything picked up. I have some junk for you, I've been saving it. I'll have the minimate done. I should have had it done by now but I keep getting side tracked. A.D.D I guess?

delray

looks good randy:thumbsup: now if you could just grind little down on the snowblower intake and then hit it with a sand blast material(cast look) and make it look like a stock minibike intake:smile: summer application engines for 4 and 5 hp's are getting harder to find:doah:

Hello, Got a motor coming with the original minibike throttle set up coming. The lever is just like the one in your pics. Just wondering if anyone is interested in having some reproduced. Seeings how they are hard to find etc.
Happy Holidays to all!
Regards,
Joe

I know on my H50 the stock linkage was real loose. So I decided to use RC linkage from the hobby store. Same set-up as stock just everything is tighter. I also used red thread lock for extra protection.

Any throttle linkage for the older Tecs ( 60s - 70s ) would be GREAT Joe. Let me know if you're going to make something. The HS linkage I got from you that you made is perfect. Randy, nice hook up !

Hello,
Thank You on the feedback Sir.
I have had several requests for the H series versions.
Been serfing alot regarding what is still available via OEM sources on the components. Looks like thus far the main large top bracket is the key.
I would like to get some feedback from the forum group as to what the interest is in the top bracket specifically. And if they see what I do regarding availability of the other parts for this set up type. We can go from there.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Joe 51

Joe ,if you need some of the linkage to copy I could send you some of the pieces needed,if you want or decide to go ahead and do this project. I can send you the whole cover with all the linkage on it,if you want. Thanks Rick:thumbsup:

Hi Rick,
Nice to hear from you and nice meeting you at Windber.
Fortunately I have original Tec. parts to go by. Some NOS and others that are used originals. Thanks for the offer for sure.:thumbsup:
Also have original shrouds for mounting purposes.
Love this stuff!
Best Regards,
Joe