Tecumseh white engine paint...

CJ59

I've been reading posts about the correct white shade for the Tecumseh engine circa 1970 or so. After seeing that Duplicolor Dover white is a good choice, my question is, Does it hold up to the heat of running? Do most people that use it not plan on running the engine much? How does it hold up for those who have used it and use their mini's?:scooter:

capguncowboy

With the exception of the immediate area surrounding the exhaust port, nothing on your engine should get hot enough to ruin standard Duplicolor paint. On the engines I've done, they've only discolored a little and didn't get hot enough to cook the paint off, but I was only running the bike for 15-20 minutes at a time.

Spray paint won't hold up to spilled gasoline though. If it's had a long time to cure, it's more resistant than fresh paint, but it'll still not as resistant as two component paint sprayed from a gun.

And yes, Dover White is the closest match I've seen to date. I thought about taking a sample of it into a paint shop and having them mix up some in two component, but haven't had time to do much with my bikes recently.

CJ59

With the exception of the immediate area surrounding the exhaust port, nothing on your engine should get hot enough to ruin standard Duplicolor paint. On the engines I've done, they've only discolored a little and didn't get hot enough to cook the paint off, but I was only running the bike for 15-20 minutes at a time.

Spray paint won't hold up to spilled gasoline though. If it's had a long time to cure, it's more resistant than fresh paint, but it'll still not as resistant as two component paint sprayed from a gun.

And yes, Dover White is the closest match I've seen to date. I thought about taking a sample of it into a paint shop and having them mix up some in two component, but haven't had time to do much with my bikes recently.
Thanks, I might use a high heat primer as a a base coat.

I used the summit single stage white ureathane and it is a little whiter than the tec white but gas does not bother it. You have to mix it with hardener and use a spray gun.

Last edited:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Very Slick engine OLE4 :001_tongue: Like others have said, Artic White.

I often use Fridge paint with that extra hard shell , like bath tubs have ( the word escapes me at the moment ). :doah:

Just my opinion, the current Dupli-Color BGM0138, Dover/Arctic White, is not a close match for 70s small-frame Tecs. Too much yellow pigment.

I agree. The last white tec I did had a fair amount of original paint and the closest paint I found was duplicolor BTY1578. It's a Toyota color in the perfect match can.

Dupli Color - Dover Artic White. That's the color that is closest IMHO. It holds up pretty well, unless you have a bad head gasket and oil gets on the shroud when then engine is hot and is left on for too long. Then the engine oil will 'burn' onto the shroud. BUT, if you have a nicely rebuilt engine that doesn't leak, then Dover Artic White with Clear Coat looks great, IMHO...

TX-3 Dad (5).JPG 12-22-14 Iphone Pics 215.JPG

I thought this was all hashed out years ago, using a single stage paint, Arctic White from the GM Corvette line? I wonder, I wa-wa-wa-wonder, if the Duplicolor mix is a slightly different hue than the GM paint code results in a one or two stage paint.

And where is Rick Chatten on this?

I recall from some Briggs copper color conversations, (say THAT fast three times) there was some assumption that age of the "sample" motor had something to do with it- that back in 1970, that Copper, or White from the factory would have looked different than it does coming out of a NOS Ebay Crate for $600.

Regardless, Current offering from Dupli-Color (BGM0138) is laying-down too yellow. This is compared to original 1970 finish. If anything, I would expect 46 yr. old paint to "yellow" over time/use.

capguncowboy

Regardless, Current offering from Dupli-Color (BGM0138) is laying-down too yellow. This is compared to original 1970 finish. If anything, I would expect 46 yr. old paint to "yellow" over time/use.
I originally an antique white from Duplicolor and thought it was far too yellow. The Dover white from Duplicolor looked too bright, but once it was clearcoated, it was exactly the same color as a survivor engine I have. If it is off, it's only by a slight shade

At that point in the restoration, I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I really don't think anyone is going to compare your engine to a paint chip and criticize the shade

I didn't mention that I'm only doing a tank. The tank, up against the OE finish looks ridiculous in Dover/Arctic. I'm not saying the paint is unacceptable for a complete restoration, I'm saying the can I received is too yellow IMO.

I try to be as accurate as I possibly can be with my restorations, and for my money, the Dover Arctic White by Dupli-Color is the closest match I've seen to the late 1960's and early 1970's Aspera/Tecumseh Engines that I restore. I even spent a lot of money getting "Honda Passport White" made up in cans...and it's not as close as the Dover Arctic White IMHO. The only other option is have someone 'try to' color match it using the original engine, but even that is a crap shoot. I'm more shocked that no one has a Tecumseh connection that could tell them the exact color code and paint they used...they built like a billion of those engines, lol! Thus far I'm pleased with the Dover Arctic White. There is a slight 'hint' of cream in it...but that is pretty close to the old Aspera's...

IPHONE PICS ALL 7-24-14 283.JPG iphone pics (91).JPG TX-3 Dad 1 (1).JPG