Terra Trail Topper Swing Arm Bushing

Kartman01

As part of the teardown of my Terra Trailtopper, I discovered there are two steel/rubber bushings inside of the trailing arm pivot with a 10MM rod holding the trailing arm to the bike.

The bushings (there are two) are comprised of a 10MM ID steel sleeve and a 20MM OD rubber bushing.

Has anyone seen a setup like this? Did other bikes like Rupp ever utilize anything like this?

I have had no luck finding anything on the internet for replacement pieces. If anyone can point me in a direction, that would be great. Otherwise, I will fabricate replacements.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

As part of the teardown of my Terra Trailtopper, I discovered there are two steel/rubber bushings inside of the trailing arm pivot with a 10MM rod holding the trailing arm to the bike.

The bushings (there are two) are comprised of a 10MM ID steel sleeve and a 20MM OD rubber bushing.

Has anyone seen a setup like this? Did other bikes like Rupp ever utilize anything like this?

I have had no luck finding anything on the internet for replacement pieces. If anyone can point me in a direction, that would be great. Otherwise, I will fabricate replacements.

Thanks for any help!
No luck at Mc Master Carr? My next stop would be at my old school auto parts store. Folks there have knowledge in auto, truck and farm. Seems that a body mount or stabilizer strut would use a dampening bushing like that. I would think that Rupp would source a part readily available. Mansfield Ohio, right? Industrial and farm community.
If not, off to the lathe.
Good project, nice bike.

No luck at Mc Master Carr? My next stop would be at my old school auto parts store. Folks there have knowledge in auto, truck and farm. Seems that a body mount or stabilizer strut would use a dampening bushing like that. I would think that Rupp would source a part readily available. Mansfield Ohio, right? Industrial and farm community.
If not, off to the lathe.
Good project, nice bike.
My bad, Terra bike in question.

Kartman01

Thanks, I will try McMaster… that is a great idea. Regarding Auto Parts stores, I get what you are saying, but all the old school counter guys are long gone.

Thanks for the kind words on the Terra. I had the same model growing up and am thrilled to have found one in decent condition. Attached are a few ‘before’ photos and where I am currently regarding ‘after’.

Thanks again for your help!

Attachments

mustangfrank

Thanks, I will try McMaster… that is a great idea. Regarding Auto Parts stores, I get what you are saying, but all the old school counter guys are long gone.

Thanks for the kind words on the Terra. I had the same model growing up and am thrilled to have found one in decent condition. Attached are a few ‘before’ photos and where I am currently regarding ‘after’.

Love that blue color, moving along quickly, looks good!

Over-thought bushing design, not sure how the benefits outweigh the downside of having rubber isolation in a swingarm pivot. I'd ditch it and find a single or double steel sleeve to replace it. McMaster as mentioned would be my first stop.

Last edited:

I have an old school parts store and skilled folks. If you wanna post the dimensions in metric and American decimal as accurate as possible, I could stop by with a drawing. Maybe three view images as well.
All I got