Test lighting coil?

I just picked up a Tecumseh with lighting coil. It been sitting for a while with gas in it, so I'm cleaning the tank and carb. Once I get it going how can I test the light?

If it's wired as Ole shows above, the two side pins should read around 3 volts AC and increase as RPM does to about 10VAC. One lead to the pin, the other to engine ground. (There are two lighting outputs) The center pin is the kill switch when shorted to engine ground.

Or use a small DC bulb and wire it as you would connect the test leads above. A 12 volt bulb will work for the test.

So I could hook it up to a car headlight right? Just run wires from motor to prongs on headlight or do I need to ground one. I'm not that knowledgeable about electronics, so bear with me. Thanks

12 volt head lamp isn't the best way to do this. Requires too much amperage. Flash light bulb would work, or even a cheap bulb from an automotive store. We're talking less than a dollar, and maybe two feet of 18 to 22 ga. wire. Do not use LED bulb, because it wont work.

One wire from electrical contact of the bulb to one of the engine plug wires. (not the center one all alone, because that is the kill wire)
One wire from shiny brass part of the bulb to anywhere on the engine that is bare metal. That's it.

Repeat for the other plug wire. Should get a decent glow with the engine running.

I plan to use led lights, have been using it on all of mine but the two bikes I am building now will both have lighting coils. Plan to take each leg of the lighting coil to a cheap regulator rectifier, filter the DC output with a cap then off to the led lights.

I plan to use led lights, have been using it on all of mine but the two bikes I am building now will both have lighting coils. Plan to take each leg of the lighting coil to a cheap regulator rectifier, filter the DC output with a cap then off to the led lights.
:thumbsup: I read somewhere where someone did that. I like that better than adding a reg and batt, because you save the weight and the space. Hope you post up that mod. You're good at this stuff.

Thanks for all the replies. Actually forgot I had the test light Dave suggested. Tried it with that and got it to light, then wired up an old brake light socket from a wiring harness I had laying around. Worked great. Thanks again.

MB165

the high intensity H4 motorcycle leds from ebay work great, i put one in my rupp with a yamaha 4wheeler headlight lens glued into the bezel. its running off the alt into a reg/rec. did it on last years build off, it wont need a battery with a good sized capacitor. they sure are fun to mess with.

if its unregulated, its a 3amp system 11.5 volts at 3600 rpm.