The Alpha minibike... a little piece of minibike history

Bikerscum

I bought this a while back out of curiosity, & to preserve it I guess. Now I'm neck deep in minibike sh*t & have to clear some space in the garage for a Harley project. Alpha minibike, number 1 of 1. The lady selling it said it was built by her brother back in the 70's. He was a machinist & had a business. He just passed away & she was cleaning out his shop, the mini was in there. It has a 6 horse Tec, and a unique drive system with a torque converter & jackshaft. It has a Mikuni carb with custom manifold, and high mounted aircleaner. It starts fine & pulls like a mule. The front suspension works really well. There are Timken tapered roller bearings everywhere, and a box of extras is included. Everything works as it should.

A buddy of mine lives in the area of the Alpha factory & did some checking with friends, neighbors, etc. He came up with this...

"Alpha Machine Shop was located at 2510 Blanding near Everett street. It was a shop run by a guy named Paul Nickerson (could be Knickerson.) Quite a few of us machinists from the Naval Air Rework Facility used to moonlight (work) there. It was a general machine shop, as well as a repair station for Briggs & Stratton motors. Paul was always looking for different ways to make money. This bike was probably one of them. There might even be a Briggs & Stratton motor on the bike in the photo. I worked there in the 70's. Paul, changed the name to Alpha Group. Then around 1978 or so he moved to San Leandro to a bigger facility. As with most startup companies he tried to grow too fast, and as I understood it he lost the place. Last that I heard, he was working at some machine shop in Hayward. I doubt that you will be able to find him as he was really a recluse and may not even be with us anymore. I remember one of those bikes lying around the shop on Blanding."

I can't imagine shipping this thing due to the weight, but hey... anything's possible on your dime. I can deliver/meet you within say 2 hours of the SF Bay area if payed up front. I've put quite a bit of time & some $$ into getting it back on the road, all I'm looking for is what I have in it... $350. If I can't get that I'll part it out, but it would be a shame to see that happen. It needs a new home. Paypal gift or +3%.

Video.... (I've cleaned the carb since then, idles nice & smooth now)

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v309/Bikerscum/20141214_140643_zpse8e7m4ng.mp4

Attachments

Last edited: