The Best Guitarist You've (probably) Never Heard Of!

I74

If we could include the ''Best'' - probably never heard of - ''Bass'' guitar player,, I elect - ''Gary Thain'' of Uriah Heep.
He was the bassist during Uriah Heep's - ''hey day'', in the early to mid 70's.
I don't have posts for vids, but his live stuff in the early to mid 70's, pretty much carried the band.
He was Frick'n epic, & pretty much could play multiple Bass parts on a live song, & not dubbed !!

My avatar pic, is of him.

He died in 1976, about the same time as Tommy Bolin.. RIP Gary & Tommy.
Not enough room for everyone …………………….

Am a Bass player myself , & have been playing instruments for around 50 years.

Have a listen.

Ian

I74

Was wrong about the dates..
Gary died Dec. 8 1975, & Tommy died Dec. 5th 1976.

Imagine those two playing together !!

Can't help myself, she's a violinist but I'm posting this video anyway. Lili Haydn playing the lead guitar part of Eddie Hazel's Maggot Brain, one of the all-time great instrumentals, IMO, on violin. I almost didn't listen to this, expecting to hate it; I had seen it as a recommended video multiple times before I gave in and checked it out.

Wah-wah pedal activated at 1:08... violin... wah-wah... o_O Check it out, it's fantastic!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lili_Haydn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggot_Brain_(song)

fistfullabar

I have to agree that you guys have some awesome taste in music .I was a card carrying union sax player when I was in grade 8 at school ,I played in a big band at the time and whenever acts would come through town needing a player ,I would get the call and often tagged along for a few more dates .Because of this ,I played with dozens of acts ,some great ,some were just arseholes ,but it was a ton of fun for me .I have played with Bruce Cockburn ,Burton Cummings ,Randy Bachman ,Shania Twain (she lived here played several times with her ) ,Bobby Vinton ,The Stampeders ,Corey Hart ,and many many more ,but I really liked playing with Colin James the best because he was about my age at the time ( kids) and I stuck with him for 10 shows one summer .Anyways ,in the late 80’s ,I was in Montreal to see Colin who was playing with Stevie Ray Vaughn at the time .I met up with them and we jammed for several hours together .That guy can play ,yet he was very soft spoken .
I was offered two full ride scholarships for music ,including Berkeley in the states ,but my dad said I couldn’t go because music wasn’t a real job ( funny because I made $1500.00 for a 4 hour show very often in the early 80’s) so I did other things with my life and played only a handful of shows in the last 30 years .I have been missing playing and started practising again this winter ,hoping it will lead me on a few new adventures .
What is a "real" job?

bruces

I was a mechanic ,heavy equipment ,diesel ,aircraft ,automotive ,heavy truck ,I had three shops ,an airplane I worked out of ,and worked a lot in the Arctic for mining and construction companies .I hurt my back ,and a year later sold out . Lots of work nobody else wanted or could do in the middle of nowhere .

Yngwie Malmsteen is one of the best I've ever seen perform. Saw him at River Parks in Tulsa with Leta Ford they both rocked but Malmsteen is an extraordinary guitarist.

Yngwie Malmsteen is one of the best I've ever seen perform. Saw him at River Parks in Tulsa with Leta Ford they both rocked but Malmsteen is an extraordinary guitarist.
He's considered as being one of the greats but just doesn't do anything for me, same goes for Steve Vai and the late Stevie Ray Vaughan. :eek:

I74

Craig Erickson,, is an unbelievable local R&B /classic rock, funk,, jazz,,, & fusion guitarist, that resides here in Cedar Rapids Ia., & is also a friend of mine.
I can best describe his style as,, part Stevie ray, a bit Jeff Beck,, & also,, throw in some Robin Trower.
He did a CD with Glen Hughes from ''Deep Purple'' back in the early 90's, & also did some shows with Glen.
Craig has a bunch of You tube vids, when he toured Europe from time to time, & has played with a lot of different people.
Check him out !;)

He's considered as being one of the greats but just doesn't do anything for me, same goes for Steve Vai and the late Stevie Ray Vaughan. :eek:
I understand, I just appreciated his blinding speed and the ease with which he played like it was second nature. Had he been in a band that went somewhere he would have done much better, as a stand alone artist he was severely limited maybe even stifled. He has tendonitis or something and doesn't play now I heard.

I understand, I just appreciated his blinding speed and the ease with which he played like it was second nature. Had he been in a band that went somewhere he would have done much better, as a stand alone artist he was severely limited maybe even stifled. He has tendonitis or something and doesn't play now I heard.
He has a new album, Blue Lightning, being released in a few days.

https://www.yngwiemalmsteen.com/

Last edited: