"THE CHRISTMAS TRIKE" Redux

Hmmm. Is that thread SAE or metric? Maybe you could drill the fork and weld a nutsert in...:shrug:

Or cut the studs off flush, drill and tap the blocks and use a carriage bolt through the fork tube to hold them on ..... Just throwing out some ideas .

Last edited:
I can drill and tap the fork easily but don't want it to come loose. Don't want to drill/tap aluminum when strength may be an issue, especially in single shear.

I will pick up some 3/4" square steel stock tomorrow and rebuild the block. I still haven't picked up the tube for the cables, so all the more reason to do it.

Steve said they welded the block to the forks, so they must have been steel back then. As such, these should be steel.

Last edited:
That's really the only way square against round tubing will look good is to weld it :thumbsup:
So it shall be done. So mote it be.

Full mockup should be done by Saturday, and maybe at least in primer Sunday. Dang it, cancel that. Have to wait for the seats to get back for the final two tab locations...

What a day. Long day at work and then the metal shop was closed, so no 3/4" solid stock for the footpegs, and no tubes for the cables.

Get home to find 6 new 1" axle bearings arrived. I ordered 2 from BMI and 4 from OldMiniBikes. All arrived same day. Took out the BMI bearings and they are standard chinese stuff. Opened the OldMiniBikes package to find Azusa chinese bearings. Since this is an Azusa build, guess which I grabbed to use?

Went out to the garage to start mocking up the rear axle. Lock collar behind the wheel, then one of the flangettes, slide the bearing on, then another flangette. This is where I notice the flangettes look a little small. Sure enough, the flangettes are for 3/4" bearings, not 1" bearings. I received 3 3/4" flangettes and one 1". I didn't have the bearings before to notice the size difference. I don't have any others, and ordering now might get here next weekend....

Not looking good for the deadline...

Hent messaged me that he is sending some flangettes quick, so just a short delay. I can hopefully have everything else ready when they get here. I do have one 1" flangette and can at least get the axle mount tabs redrilled and ready.

Picked up some 3/4" square stock today. At least I can get the footpegs mounted.

The only other thing keeping the frame and forks from paint is two seat tabs....

Your making it sound like I am holding up the progress with the seats:doah:. I received the patterns on Monday afternoon. Searched for the vinyl for half a day on Tuesday. Got home and made the wood bases, T-nuts and foam. Wednesday I sewed "all" day. I finished them on Thursday afternoon, packed them like a baby and shipped the seats first thing Friday morning. :glare: They should arrive on Monday if not on Sunday.

Your making it sound like I am holding up the progress with the seats:doah:. I received the patterns on Monday afternoon. Searched for the vinyl for half a day on Tuesday. Got home and made the wood bases, T-nuts and foam. Wednesday I sewed "all" day. I finished them on Thursday afternoon, packed them like a baby and shipped the seats first thing Friday morning. :glare: They should arrive on Monday if not on Sunday.

Not at all and I am sorry you took it that way. I really appreciate that you took the time to do the seats for this. It is awesome you were able to make them so quickly. Thank You!

It is my fault for the seat tab placement, as I did not allow enough room for the lower to fit under the upper, so I have to move them where Karen put them. Not her fault at all.

Last edited: