"THE CHRISTMAS TRIKE" Redux

That's what it is all about!!! I can only hope Don still lurks here. He has so much talent to share. Way to go everyone!

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

We had a garage sale here in Astoria, Oregon yesterday and although the little Christmas Trike was sitting in the back yard garage. I didn't have my camera with me but there were some really cute boys and girls and I wanted to take some pictures with them on the Trike. I have a great nephew who might be a future rider for the Trike his name is Jackson Durham and the family live in Madison, Georgia. Still time to check this out as Jackson is still a baby. The age of any rider is important as safety is a big part of the picture. As far as the workmanship the work of getting the vintage parts and the time and money spent was enormous and involved a lot of great members like our KKK and others who helped along the way. When the project was given over to Don that was a great well thought out move. Don told me how working from a limited bunch of pictures to determine if the drawings I supplied were correct. As these pictures were taken to show the Trike with a happy rider aboard. As for Don's workmanship it is so clear to see he has very high standards and dedication to make a true copy of the machine. In person Don is a very warm and respectful man and I can say a top notch builder. I hope to see him come back to the OldMiniBikes and once again enjoys the friendship he so rightly deserves.

Steve

I just finished reading all 17 pages and all I can say is WOW!!!! What a great story, and what an incredible job on that trike! Brought back memories of when my dad can home with that first 5hp tri sport. You guys are AWESOME!

This little gem is in need of protection so I am going to build a shipping container that will secure the tike for future shipping and any transporting. Going to make it out of 3/8 inch plywood and 2X2 frame work. knowing me it will need to be painted too. It is small enough that it will be able to ship Greyhound. To say it's better than to original is an understatement it's like a Leonardo Da Vinci sculpture so vivid and it's in my back shop.

Steve

Well the little Christmas Trike is safe and secure in the garage. I an going to build a crate to ship it in to Muncie Indiana where my nephew now lives. The first rider will be Jackson Durham he just turned 2 in December. This weekend Jackson had a trip to the Hospital for a broken Femur and is now in a cast. He was playing with his sister Clare. He went to Indianapolis Children's Hospital. He will get the best of care when he gets home. And there is hope on the horizon my oldest granddaughter Julia just got married and her brother Jason just got engaged.

Christmas Trike

One thing about the original building of these trikes almost all the parts were just off the shelf parts from our stores stock the custom parts we had to cut down the rear axle make the base for the seats for the upholstery man to do his work. And we used the basic things like the front end of a mini bike was cut down a bit. And the frame design was worked out as we went. Danny and I both had day time jobs I worked at a high rise office building in Century City and Danny worked as a maintenance Engineer @ Di Carlo Bakery so time was tight with just a couple of days left before Christmas.
The paint was picked out for each trike one was the Green and the other was to be Red. Well painting is an thing that requires a good amount of experience and when the red trike was painted it ended up with a big sag in the top of the seat support and Danny tried to fix it and it just got worse so it was decided that the Green Trike was going to be given to my nephew Billy and I was to give my son Steven a Indian MM-5 mini cycle.
The Christmas went just fine but he project has a mystery about it where did the frame and custom seat go for that Red trike ? And where did the green trike end up I think my Brother took it and the little Indian up to see his Biker friends and they just never returned.

Last edited: