The Easyrider that first started my obsession finally gets some love

Daniel Coop

To think... Less than a year ago last July, I picked up this ARCO Easyrider locally on Craigslist, not knowing shit about it or this amazing hobby we all enjoy. I chose it over a Doodlebug the same guy was selling because I liked it's ratty look and the stretched frame fit my adult size a little better. It had a stock non Hemi Predator in it with a Chinese clutch and the governor disconnected. The throttle was a brake handle and the choke knob was missing. The foot pegs looked homemade and the kickstand and original suspension seat and gas tank were long gone (didn't know at the time)
Now nearly a year later, a few full custom builds, (Including a couple Build-Off bikes) and at least a half dozen riders later, it was time to give the old slut some love...
I started like many do with the basics...made my own exhaust
And shaved down some Harley Davidson Sportster foot pegs to fit the frame...
And swapped out the previous owner's brake handle throttle and questionable linkage...
Rode it like that for a few months, but ended up selling the old non Hemi Predator, to put together a brand new Hemi Predator that I had gotten in another deal. The previous owner of the Hemi had installed a Chi-kini carb and ran into financial trouble and sold it and a ton of other parts, bikes and motors before even trying to start it.
I just had to dig up the missing stock parts and re-assemble along with a new re-jetted Ru-xing carb, intake and the exhaust I had made

Rode it like that for about a month or two and when I could no longer wait for new tires, I decided it was time for a mechanical upgrade/restoration.
Time for tires, tubes, bearings and​ some mild goodies for the Hemi Predator. Installing an original CL1 (high torque), 18lb springs made specifically for the Hemi head and an 8° flywheel advance key from ARC racing along with an upsized pilot jet to match the upsized main jet.
Cam and springs installed. Surprisingly, after removing the c-clips and rockers and installing the springs, I re-assembled as was and had perfect .003 valve lash without any adjustments required.
Using a flywheel knocker, I removed the flywheel and installed the 8° advance key. Now before the fun police respond with "you need a billet rod and flywheel!" The CL1 is all done by 6000RPM, and yes I understand you might be gambling in that range, but according to Dyno Cams, I am just crossing the line for a billet flywheel with the upgraded springs and larger open exhaust I'm also putting on it. It won't be near 6k RPM often, and I know a few guys that spin these above 6k regularly, so although flywheel failure is possible, it's not as​ common as some swear by. Especially under 6k...I will upgrade to a bigger cam when I can afford the extra $200 in billet parts.
with the tin work off, I decided to add some color to the blower housing and valve cover. I also installed the new exhaust and slipped the Mod RLV muffler.
Got it all back together and went to pull it for the first time and on the 2nd pull it tried to fire but had an unusual loud knocking noise. I pulled the pull start back off and pulled out the spark plug and went to turn over the engine by hand. Right around TDC there was a hard spot in the rotation. There was the knock... Damn. I had chosen the CL1 because it was the only cam that didn't have a warning about cam lobe/crankshaft clearance and it's lower RPM range. (using stock parts). With an idea of what was going on I removed the sidecover and could visibly see the exhaust lobe smacking​ the crank at TDC. Damn it... Was nothing left to do but pull the crank.
These are the areas in question that needs clearancing

One side done

Now this crank should be able to clear just about any camshaft

I also rounded out the knick in the exhaust lobe on the CL1 and re-assembled

And installed in the bike along with new(ish) tires, (off my Sensation bobber project) new tubes and bearings
I also installed a new RLV gold chain on the Max Torque clutch

What a difference! This bike pulls hard now and the exhaust note is cracking!

Daniel Coop

So after surprising some friends by smoking them with this old turd one weekend, the next weekend, I brought it back out only to develop a major loss of power, followed by the unmistakable sound of a rod nock. After taking it home and draining the oil, I knew I had problems... Obvious visible metal chunks.
. I opened up the sidecover to find my rod bolts had come loose?!
WTH?! I had torqued them to 125"lbs with my digital torque wrench, but the batteries were going dead, forcing me to turn the wrench back on every minute or two. And to top it off, I didn't double tap the bolts. (Re-torque a 2nd time) Amateur mistake... Live and learn.
Knowing I had smoked the rod bearing, I ordered an ARC billet rod from my dude Dan at Childish Concepts Racing.
This is the .020 longer (than stock) rod. It'll give me a bump in compression and supposedly nearly another HP. It didn't feel right doing a billet rod but not the flywheel, so I ordered an ARC billet flywheel also.
There was just one problem...
Although appearing smooth, the crankshaft bearing journal was now undersized. This crank is now a paperweight. I verified with the plasti-gauge test also, not trusting my cheap Harbor freight digital micrometer. I was getting different readings everywhere I measured the crank journal. Luckily, my friend Dan came to my rescue again, taking apart a brand new Hemi Predator from his stock to sell me the crank for $22. Should be here within a few days. I had an idea...
What about the 5 bolt Grayhound clone that I took out of my Po' White Trash DB? Just needed a head gasket.
After installing a .018 MLS head gasket and torquing the head to 18.5'lbs, all that was left was setting up valve lash at .003 and installing the new big bore SP carburetor, I had already gotten from Dan for it.
And the 3 stage mini bike header from NR.
This motor gives me the opportunity to use the OG Easyrider gas tank I had gotten from Forum member J. Ackerman some time ago.
Just had to move the seat back an inch... Now to figure out what if anything I am going to do about the color on this small block and which exhaust to use on it. Can anyone help me out with some original or re-pop Easyrider gas tank decals and headplate decal?

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

Was just going to sand down and re-paint the valve cover, but the more I sanded, the shinier it got, so I ended up polishing it. Damn near looks chrome.
The unique stamping on the recoil housing led me to get a little creative with the paint work. A little old meets new.

Daniel Coop

So...
After installing my OldMiniBikes clutch brake and ARCO clutch cover over my ARC Mongrel clutch, I went and blew up the damn motor...
I'm sure some of you have seen it in the clone/Predator section of the engine category under "RIP OG 5 bolt Grayhound"
So as to not beat a dead horse, my new and improved billet rod, 275 cam, 4 bolt Grayhound clone (note; the 4 bolt valve cover)
is wearing a lot of the old motors parts, including the carb and flywheel, on to the tin work and is installed and running awesome.
All the motor this old girl could ever think of using, but at least she's now got a functional brake:thumbsup:

Daniel Coop

Thanks for the kind words everyone. This hobby consumes me. I have become a mini-bik-aholic, but at least for now, I hope there's no cure. It's like crack! Just keep needing to hit the pipe more and more. The shit keeps calling me man... Lmao!

She is a beast, but the powerband is smooth and linear making it still a nice bike to tool around my neighborhood. I've dubbed this bike the "Deathtrap" because it's more motor than bike. You run out of bike before motor as this thing is still pulling as it's starting to feel unstable. It's stretched frame and HD foot pegs make tight turns sketchy if not dangerous. Thank God for the OldMiniBikes clutch brake! She'll bite you back hard if you don't treat her well, misjudge or understand her temperamental nature. She's kind of a bitch! But she's mine and I love her. I understand her...lol
Still planning on finding an original suspension seat and shocks before I finally consider her done.

Daniel Coop

I really like what you are doing here.
I just picked up a Easy Rider and just may borrow this as inspiration.
Thanks Buckeye! It's just my ol' beater, but one of my personal favorites. I saw your Easyrider you came up on. Looks straight and mostly all there... Nice score.

Daniel Coop

Man, that's pretty wild! Is the parachute actually necessary? I have found on my couple of stretched bikes that they don't tend to want to wheelie like the short frame bikes... With that even longer stretch, are you still on the wheelie bar off the line? If so, you've got to share with me a little about that engine and drive system!

Daniel Coop

[video=youtube_share;Ac9mCN5WQl8]https://youtu.be/Ac9mCN5WQl8[/video]
Here's a little video of me wearing out a couple of my buddies racing on this old beater. Me vs my buddy Jose with his Motovox MBX11 and the Mod 2 Hemi I put together for him vs Mike and his GX390 big block mini chopper.

[video=youtube_share;Ac9mCN5WQl8]https://youtu.be/Ac9mCN5WQl8[/video]
Here's a little video of me wearing out a couple of my buddies racing on this old beater. Me vs my buddy Jose with his Motovox MBX11 and the Mod 2 Hemi I put together for him vs Mike and his GX390 big block mini chopper.
Cool..you finally got a vid up..:smile: next time chill the fisheye lens..:laugh: