The FIRST ....and "LAST" Bonanza

Awsome story!!................I love detailed history, thank you for putting it down and sharing it with us, how Kool to be in posession of the first production Bonanza!.......You are the worthey caretaker of yet another piece of Minibike history.................:thumbsup:................Tom.

Wow Gerry....congratulations !

Thank you for the story, and for caring, and for taking care of things like you do.

Bonanza 1 is now in the best hands for it's preservation, and sharing of it's history. :smile:

Last edited:

Hounddog

What a great story, thanks for sharing that! And now we are all thinking we have seen one of these 50 bikes before and passed on it because it did not look right.....LOL. What a great bike to add to your early collection for sure, and thanks for all those pictures so we can all enjoy it with you! :thumbsup: HD

capguncowboy

This thread needs to be made into a sticky and posted in the photo collections section. That's phenomenal. I'm really amazed they've stayed this in tact over the years.

Incredible story Gerry that is an amazing piece of history you have in your possession. The bike is beautiful I hope you really realize what you have as it pertains to minibikes , but mostly to bonanza collectors ,fans , and supporters all around world. It couldn't be in greater Hands , take care of that piece of history. As for me I ride every one of my bikes That I own maybe some not as much as others because of how rare they are but I ride them all. So I'm with you when you said you should let Evil Ed start it up and ride but I also think you should videotape the whole process for historical reasons also.

Thanks to all for the positive comments. It took me a damn year to finally put the thread together. I have a lot of respect for the Farrands and wanted to make sure I did the best job I could presenting the story behind the bikes. There is still so much cool info to be told but the thread was already getting really wordy so I will save more for another day. There is also a "bookend" bike to this one. Not technically the last Bonanza that rolled off the assembly line, but the last bike designed by Mike Farrand before he left the company. (Bonanza had been bought out by then by Bell Industries). It is a one of a kind prototype 10" spoke wheel trail bike that was designed to compete with the Japanese imports that were dominating the market in the mid to late 70's. I will be doing further research and highlighting that bikes history in the near future.

It's a strange feeling owning a bike like this. Once the excitement wears off you start looking at it and saying what am I going to do with it. It just doesn't seem right to keep it stashed away under a blanket somewhere where nobody can see it. Maybe someday there will be a legitimate Mini Bike Museum somewhere, like part of a motorcycle museum where it can be placed on loan and put on display. It seems a shame to keep bikes like these hidden away where no one can enjoy them or made aware of their history . Maybe Hent will build it..and they will come. In the meantime we have the OldMiniBikes Virtual Museum to enjoy.

Speaking of Hent I want to thank him for putting me in contact with the Farrands and encouraging me to try and acquire the bikes . It was a "right place at the right time deal"...a once in a lifetime opportunity and a serious leap of faith that paid off. Not sure if I'm worthy...there are plenty of Bonanza collectors on here that are more knowledgeable than I am. What I can promise is that while they are under our care we will do our very best to keep them preserved exactly as is. Some bikes should never be restored.

Hope to see you at Windber.

Incredible story Gerry that is an amazing piece of history you have in your possession. The bike is beautiful I hope you really realize what you have as it pertains to minibikes , but mostly to bonanza collectors ,fans , and supporters all around world. It couldn't be in greater Hands , take care of that piece of history. As for me I ride every one of my bikes That I own maybe some not as much as others because of how rare they are but I ride them all. So I'm with you when you said you should let Evil Ed start it up and ride but I also think you should videotape the whole process for historical reasons also.
I would love to get my hands all over that bike ! :laugh::thumbsup: That's Bonanza history right there.