The FIRST ....and "LAST" Bonanza

markus

cool stuff there!!!!! I was waiting to see the "last" bike and how it pertained to Bell/Bonanza fun products and how involved they (Farrands) were with them. I remember having a go Kart mag from I want to say 1963 introducing the mini bikes to the Bonanza lineup and wish I would have kept or made scans of the info that was in there before I had sold it :doah:

Bee looking forward to reading about the other bike :thumbsup:

Gerry, this is amazing! I am sure this bike meant a great deal to the Farrands. It's more than a mini bike. I imagine it was a symbol of a very significant part of their life story. I am not surprised that they chose you to be the new owner of it. I know you will care for the bike and also for the history it represents. It's in great hands. :thumbsup:

This is one of the great accomplishments of these internet-connected times. Thanks to OldMiniBikes, there exists this amazing place where those that own historical machines can locate and connect with those willing to properly preserve it.

Gerry, again your efforts are just amazing. To the Farrands, thank you for sharing the real and authentic details with us all.

This is one of the great accomplishments of these internet-connected times. Thanks to OldMiniBikes, there exists this amazing place where those that own historical machines can locate and connect with those willing to properly preserve it.

Gerry, again your efforts are just amazing. To the Farrands, thank you for sharing the real and authentic details with us all.
:thumbsup:

........ To the Farrands, thank you for sharing the real and authentic details with us all.
I totally agree. I'm an old school guy who is not always eager to embrace new technology, but.....

Without the internet, there is no OldMiniBikes.
Without OldMiniBikes I'm probably not friends with Drew because I because I don't even know Drew.
Without the OldMiniBikes, Dan Farrand doesn't e-mail Drew to talk about the bikes.
Without the OldMiniBikes, Drew doesn't call me to pass along the information because he knows I like to write threads about mini bike history.
I never get to befriend the Farrands and so I'm never presented with the opportunity to acquire the bikes.
In short, without the internet and the OldMiniBikes, the chances of a guy (me) living in Central NJ and finding these bikes are less than zero.

Awesome. My buddy has an early expose fork spring model too.
In doing my research I did find a couple old threads here on OldMiniBikes which showed early Bonanzas with the external front spring and the odd rear axle adjusters...but not the raised motor plate or seat wedge. I think there is even an old magazine article that shows a Westbend 820 powered Bonanza with the external fork springs. These were probably the second design right after the first 50.
The steel seat wedge was originally designed to keep the rider leaned in a forward position. The next, and more simple design, had the wedge built into the seat itself.
Next the application of 4 stroke engines and the addition of rear suspension would have called for a level motor plate and a more versatile jack shaft design.

June 1963:

Doodlebug Dave's early Bonanza

External front springs, standard seat mounts, flat motor plate and upper jackshaft tabs. I would guess this was the very next design after the first 50. I also see fender mounts on his but they could have been added later.

Badge is also interesting...has the same "Lightning Bolt" design as the kart badge but it looks like they removed the lettering around the perimeter.

Another thing I find interesting....the early external spring forks have a pair of bolts in the upper part of the tube..like the later internal spring forks but positioned lower:

Is there also an internal set of springs or does it just act as a stop or limiter for some kind of internal guide tube. I'm curious, but not curious enough to pull it apart and look !

george3

Another thing I find interesting....the early external spring forks have a pair of bolts in the upper part of the tube..like the later internal spring forks but positioned lower:

Is there also an internal set of springs or does it just act as a stop or limiter for some kind of internal guide tube. I'm curious, but not curious enough to pull it apart and look !
Fork lower release bolt. Similar to the early Bug mini bike.

Last edited:
The one!

Well there goes the one I stamped in with a screw driver. Great story. Just keeping the seat plate information to yourself would have given you the upper hand over anyone looking to score a true early Bonanza.

Call me crazy. Ride, break and repair. That's how I would role. Just like the day it was put together and given it's only one purpose in life. It sucked being a prototype I'm sure BITD.

Of course you can ride it a little gentler now that everyone is a little older. I'm going to say this is the best story/score in OldMiniBikes history. No questions asked!

MAN, that was a fantastic story. Thank you for taking the time to recall and write ALL of that. I haven't picked up a bonanza since i started in on the Moto Skeeter, but this just sparked the need for the hunt.

*****IMPORTANT NOTE*****

Some of you may have noticed an edit in post #2 as it referred to the badging/serial number system employed by the Bonanza factory for their mini bike production. It's a topic that has been discussed in several old threads here on the OldMiniBikes forum with conflicting views and unsubstantiated sources.

I spoke to Mike Farrand at length yesterday regarding this issue.

He bristled at the notion that the Bonanza badges and their stamped serial numbers were just randomly picked from a box and assigned to bikes without rhyme or reason or numerical significance. Any licensed manufacturing plant like Bonanza would be required to keep track of sales, inventory and production records as there were legal ramifications and compliance issues involved . The record keeping was also an integral component to the "Critical Path Inventory" system employed by Bonanza which maximized efficiency by keeping enough parts and raw materials on hand while avoiding excessive amounts of inventory that would eat up the space and capital needed to help the company grow . (See History of Mini Bike Factories_Bonanza http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/g...-suppliers-dealers-post531117.html#post531117 )

According to Mike, at the time these bikes were being produced there was also an organization known as RVAC (Recreational Vehicle Advisory Committee ?) which oversaw the production of off road machines across the country much like the DMV does for motor vehicles.

Mike is adamant that these standards of record keeping were always strictly adhered to while Bonanza was under his watch. He said it was basically somebody's full time job to keep track of the badging.

Mike Farrand retired from Bonanza on June 30th, 1971 shortly after the buy out by Bell Industries. What took place after that I suppose, is anybody's guess.

With the passage of time often comes misaligned facts, speculation, and flat out bad information that gets repeated until it's accepted as truth.

I have assured Mike and Dan Farrand that our intentions here on OldMiniBikes are honorable. It benefits all of us as enthusiasts and collectors to preserve the history and document the facts as accurately as possible.

In any case I find it kind of cool that Mike Farrand is reading the OldMiniBikes forum...even if it's just to stop by once in a while and set the record straight.