The FIRST ....and "LAST" Bonanza

my first mini is a bonanza and to have this history is thrilling to me. Thank you to the Farrands, to OldMiniBikes and you Gerry for all the effort put into this.........

When we were kids in the mis 70's Tom and I had many mini bikes go through our hands but the ones I remember best are the Bonanzas.

Reading about the first one just adds to the warm fuzzy "Bonanza" I get!
Its the same feeling I got when I climbed the rope to high in gym class! :)

george3

*****IMPORTANT NOTE*****

Some of you may have noticed an edit in post #2 as it referred to the badging/serial number system employed by the Bonanza factory for their mini bike production. It's a topic that has been discussed in several old threads here on the OldMiniBikes forum with conflicting views and unsubstantiated sources.

I spoke to Mike Farrand at length yesterday regarding this issue.

He bristled at the notion that the Bonanza badges and their stamped serial numbers were just randomly picked from a box and assigned to bikes without rhyme or reason or numerical significance. Any licensed manufacturing plant like Bonanza would be required to keep track of sales, inventory and production records as there were legal ramifications and compliance issues involved . The record keeping was also an integral component to the "Critical Path Inventory" system employed by Bonanza which maximized efficiency by keeping enough parts and raw materials on hand while avoiding excessive amounts of inventory that would eat up the space and capital needed to help the company grow . (See History of Mini Bike Factories_Bonanza http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/g...-suppliers-dealers-post531117.html#post531117 )

According to Mike, at the time these bikes were being produced there was also an organization known as RVAC (Recreational Vehicle Advisory Committee ?) which oversaw the production of off road machines across the country much like the DMV does for motor vehicles.

Mike is adamant that these standards of record keeping were always strictly adhered to while Bonanza was under his watch. He said it was basically somebody's full time job to keep track of the badging.

Mike Farrand retired from Bonanza on June 30th, 1971 shortly after the buy out by Bell Industries. What took place after that I suppose, is anybody's guess.

With the passage of time often comes misaligned facts, speculation, and flat out bad information that gets repeated until it's accepted as truth.

I have assured Mike and Dan Farrand that our intentions here on OldMiniBikes are honorable. It benefits all of us as enthusiasts and collectors to preserve the history and document the facts as accurately as possible.

In any case I find it kind of cool that Mike Farrand is reading the OldMiniBikes forum...even if it's just to stop by once in a while and set the record straight.
:thumbsup:

I have a few "fun facts" I picked up from Mike in our last conversation. These are off the top of my head I hope I remember them correctly so he doesn't have to keep correcting me...

* The first series of 50 bikes were not considered "BC" series. That began later with the BC1200

* At least 1/2 of that first series of 50 bikes were sold as rollers...no engines.

* Between 12-15 of the first 50 bikes were powered by Clinton A400 Panther motors.

* The rest were powered by Power Products engines like the AH58 or the "61"

* His brother Dan built the only bike (#1) powered by an AH82...well.... just because he wanted to.

* The MB series of bikes without the fork plates were intentionally made NOT to look like a Bonanza and were initially intended as offerings by JC Penny and Sears but never were.

* Bonanza at the time was running a lot of promotional ads in Boys Life Magazine, the official publication of the Boy Scouts of America. Bonanza also worked directly with the Boy Scouts helping to promote the mini bike hobby with America's youth . This is where the Bonanza "SCOUT" Models got their name.

* Many of the early bikes were Briggs powered. They were delivered by tractor trailer, each load contained 96 engines to a pallet. The integral carb/fuel tank setup on these engines proved to be troublesome.

* As production numbers dramatically increased, Tecumseh was the only engine supplier who could meet the demand.

* Mike admired the quality of the early Fox mini bikes.

** The original "Bonanza Blue" paint color has nothing to do with Corvette Blue or Chevelle Blue or Marina Blue or any other automobile manufacturer color for that matter. Mike had a graduation ring (Freemason ) which had a "Masonic Blue" setting in it that he thought was unique and he greatly admired it. That is the color which became Bonanza Blue. (That's for you Ed :wink:)

There is a lot more...I need to learn to write things down because I think everything he says would be considered interesting to the OldMiniBikes faithful.

Everything he said is interesting! I purchased an early 1300/1400 not long ago that I will be rebuilding. Forward peg...

Hearing(reading) and seeing the history makes me all the more interested.

Keep it up!

Any chance we could get production numbers? Some idea of if the badge numbers actually are inline with manufacturing years?

And as far as the color, so mote it be.

I have a few "fun facts" I picked up from Mike in our last conversation. These are off the top of my head I hope I remember them correctly so he doesn't have to keep correcting me...

* The first series of 50 bikes were not considered "BC" series. That began later with the BC1200

* At least 1/2 of that first series of 50 bikes were sold as rollers...no engines.

* Between 12-15 of the first 50 bikes were powered by Clinton A400 Panther motors.

* The rest were powered by Power Products engines like the AH58 or the "61"

* His brother Dan built the only bike (#1) powered by an AH82...well.... just because he wanted to.

* The MB series of bikes without the fork plates were intentionally made NOT to look like a Bonanza and were initially intended as offerings by JC Penny and Sears but never were.

* Bonanza at the time was running a lot of promotional ads in Boys Life Magazine, the official publication of the Boy Scouts of America. Bonanza also worked directly with the Boy Scouts helping to promote the mini bike hobby with America's youth . This is where the Bonanza "SCOUT" Models got their name.

* Many of the early bikes were Briggs powered. They were delivered by tractor trailer, each load contained 96 engines to a pallet. The integral carb/fuel tank setup on these engines proved to be troublesome.

* As production numbers dramatically increased, Tecumseh was the only engine supplier who could meet the demand.

* Mike admired the quality of the early Fox mini bikes.

** The original "Bonanza Blue" paint color has nothing to do with Corvette Blue or Chevelle Blue or Marina Blue or any other automobile manufacturer color for that matter. Mike had a graduation ring (Freemason ?) which had a "Masonic Blue" setting in it that he thought was unique and he greatly admired it. That is the color which became Bonanza Blue. (That's for you Ed :wink:)

There is a lot more...I need to learn to write things down because I think everything he says would be considered interesting to the OldMiniBikes faithful.

Thanks Gerry, Now I gotta dig out my Mason's ring and get a color match ! LOL !

that is a great story thank you so much for sharing this piece of bay area history. in the late 70s and early 80s i use to go to kal kart and drool over go karts the used ones they had for sale they let me sit in them and dream thanks for bringing back those memories great job

Thanx for the effort to compose this thread,
but thanx more for being a sensient being who recognized the importance
and fell head-long into the sweetness of sentimentality.
Good for you...but hey, be nice to yourself and take it around the block
daily...what could possibly go wrong ?...:scooter:

WOW , talk about a blast from the past !! In so many ways ;>) My brother and I got our start on mini bikes and go carts :) We had a Taco first and then graduated to one of these ! Many hours blasting around the orchards and fields :):)

Hent

WOW , talk about a blast from the past !! In so many ways ;>) My brother and I got our start on mini bikes and go carts :) We had a Taco first and then graduated to one of these ! Many hours blasting around the orchards and fields :):)
Glad you got logged in Harley Hummer.

I've read a lot of positive feedback about this thread. This is the best history thread on mini bikes!

This is one of the best articles on any mini bike or small motorcycle in the fact that it is so well documented that it could be a museum archive ! My hats off to you AND Mr Dan Farrand ! A true history lesson AND a historic bike as well ! I am sure that a lot of us guys reading this turned various shades of green reading this story !
My brother likes to tell the story of how we were having trouble starting it and our Dad was standing in front of it inside the barn and he told my brother to hold the throttle wide open ............... so of course that is when it finally decided to start !!....... and it pinned him to the wall and proceeded to climb him like like a wild mountain goat !! LOL
Then there was the time Dad was "fixing it" for us and the throttle stuck and he went flying through the yard full speed only to wipe-out into the trash fire pit !! Talk about "Crash and Burn" . Not the best place to land with all the charred stuff and broken glass !
Funny how we remember other people crashing but not so much our selves. But I can guarantee there was plenty of them for both of us !