The journey begins

From the looks of it clean up and ride...other than outside rust it looks brand new on inside...going to replace all gaskets points condenser rebuild carb....going to try to reuse everything I can to keep as original as I can...evaporust has become an essential...making all the old bolts look new again....paint not chrome on most things....

Well going to call it finished....just need to find the sweet spot in the carb....still not right....but at least it somewhat runs...LMAO!!

There ya go. Looks like a big ol mini bike to me!
Lol...thanks again for all the valuable knowledge you have bestowed upon me during this journey....I’m sure were not done!! LMAO!!!

I’m going to try something fancy with this sacrificial hm80....found a .010 over piston and rings....going to see what happens....

delray

I might be little lost on the super bronc bikes? that bike is a 1040 model correct? then it should have a 10hp motor on it? either way I have never seen a 1040 with a factory 8hp motor on a bike before and you can clearly see it is a factory 8hp with the factory 8hp decal on the recoil.
might be a rare one to find....?
I seen some different setups before. for example I purchase a vt-8 from the original owner and it had a lighted coil and electric start only/battery. no headlight or rear tail light installed and the rear fender gives that away with no holes ever drilled for the tail light bracket.

skipp,nice to see you being that bike back to life again...:thumbsup:

It is a vt840....it is lighted and I have head light and tail light...wanted to get running before I started worrying about if the wiring on lights was good or where to start chasing...so now with it running I’ll hook up lights....but to be honest kind of like the look without....thanks!

I might be little lost on the super bronc bikes? that bike is a 1040 model correct? then it should have a 10hp motor on it? either way I have never seen a 1040 with a factory 8hp motor on a bike before and you can clearly see it is a factory 8hp with the factory 8hp decal on the recoil.
might be a rare one to find....?
I seen some different setups before. for example I purchase a vt-8 from the original owner and it had a lighted coil and electric start only/battery. no headlight or rear tail light installed and the rear fender gives that away with no holes ever drilled for the tail light bracket.

skipp,nice to see you being that bike back to life again...:thumbsup:

delray

ok skipp, just that I see the torque converter cover has the 1040 on it. still interesting that's the way the bike came with a 1040 decal ,but its a vt840 model....:rolleyes:

According to mr chatten (and I hope he chimes in if I’m off base) all the 40 series came 1040 then heald supplied the 840 owners with a “840” sticker to place over the 1040 one on the cover....the previous owner of this machine opted to place his 840 sticker on the front rack??? Curious I know but can you do?!?....hoping to resolve the 1040 sticker issue soon....

delray

According to mr chatten (and I hope he chimes in if I’m off base) all the 40 series came 1040 then heald supplied the 840 owners with a “840” sticker to place over the 1040 one on the cover....the previous owner of this machine opted to place his 840 sticker on the front rack??? Curious I know but can you do?!?....hoping to resolve the 1040 sticker issue soon....
ok that would make sense in round about way why your bike came that way. personally think the 1040 bike was a much better bike with the 7 inch rear driven. super bronc bike's didn't need the 6inch or worse the 10 percent over drive either. 7inch to me gave it a much better lowend performance for that bike and it needed it too. bike was not made to go super fast. it's a trail bike and having a 7inch to me is a big plus....:thumbsup:

delray

Actually mine has the 7 inch driven....have the original heald belt too....
your correct...….:thumbsup: that's what I like about the newer models like yours (when they where black) they all had 7inch drivens on them. when ron took over they went back to the 6inch setup. i'm sure it was cheaper for him to build them that way....:shrug:

and they went with this big disc brake. not big fan on that for couple reason. trail riding you could easily hit something hard and damage the disc and the brake they use didn't wont very good. I believe ron and his son scott found something to help the brake problem.

Skipp. I have tried to post a picture of the VT840 decal that goes over top of the VT1040 to make the bike a 840. No luck to get picture up. They did make a VT840. I have only seen 4 of them