The Lost has been Found

Hi folks, I'm new here today. Just thought this might interest you
When I was 9 my folks bought me a Ruttman mini bike. All chrome, I kept it gleaming. I put a ton of miles on it through our farm and neighboring farms meeting up with my pals similarly equipped. Some years later I wanted to buy a 1964 Honda 90 - C200, ( still have it) so with Dad's consent I sold the mini bike.

A month ago I was cruising Marketplace and searched " mini bikes ". As I scrolled through my eyes caught something and I went back, clicked on an image - and there was my old mini bike. How could I tell?, well like any of us who has an intimate relationship with something motorized - I knew every inch of the bike. Not that difficult being so small and all but 2 details in particular made me know.

One I could tell from the pics. My little sister was riding it one time and ran headlong into a low block wall, throwing her over the bars and the wall - and bending the forks back just so.
The second detail I couldn't check until I saw it in person.

I contacted the seller in Whitby( Ontario Canada), exchanged some info and told him I'd buy it. As it happened he and his family were going north the same time I was at my son's place east of Bracebridge( Ontario Canada). The seller offered to take it North with him and we'd meet up, being closer to each other that if we were both home and I readily accepted.

My son and I drove to his cottage, I looked on the underside of the bike for the second detail - a nick in the frame tube from hitting something hard - and there it was!
How cool is that, finding the same mini bike 53 years later? It needs some loving but once finished my Grandkids will love it.

Now I'm on the hunt for my Dad's McCullough go-kart circa 1960. I think that's going to be a little tougher.

Thanks for allowing me to join and post. Once I'm into the restoration I'll post some pics- meanwhile I'll add a pic of some of my other projects which include the Honda mentioned above.

Randy

Attachments

I74

Welcome to OldMiniBikes !
That's great finding your old Mini !
It was definitely in the stars with how it went ! :)

Wish I could find my early 60's Rupp like that.

Really dig the Matchless. :cool:
Bet it's worth some pretty good coin,, & looks pretty rare.

I

mustangfrank

Aw c'mon, I'm not letting you off that easy..."it didn't happen if you don't have pictures"!

I won't go as far as the old "this thread is useless without pictures".

:)

J/K...Cool story! Shoot us a couple pictures as found, PLEASE! I dig old, all chrome bikes.

Okay guys, first- thanks for the warm welcome, second -gimme a coupe days. My old-azz phone won't talk to my computer. I gotta borrow my wife's phone to take the pics. The guy who I got it from had tried to do some work........ it has the wrong tires/wheels, the wrong seat, the wrong motor, the wrong brake......but I can fix all that. I'll shoot some pics of it first chance I get.....meanwhile here's a few of some of my other ladies-in-waiting....I don't currently have any of the Honda Trail 70.

Attachments

Welcome to OldMiniBikes !
That's great finding your old Mini !
It was definitely in the stars with how it went ! :)

Wish I could find my early 60's Rupp like that.

Really dig the Matchless. :cool:
Bet it's worth some pretty good coin,, & looks pretty rare.

I
The Matchless is a '49. Originally had a 350 it currently has a '51 500 in the cradle. I have all the original 350 motor/trans etc should I want to put it back to original. About 50 years ago my best pal at the time and I were buzzing along on our mini's ( he had a Lil Indian and out-ran me every time) when we stopped at one of his neighbors who was into flat tracking. The guy had a barn full of AJS / Matchless, James and other bikes. He was selling this particular bike. My pal took it down the road and I fell for the tapered blue flame coming off the pipe. I said " if you don't buy it I will" He purchased it so I told him " if you ever decide to sell it, you better call me first". He rode it a number of years then called me one night " Randy, I want to buy a small sail boat, I'm bringing you the AJ" . I bought it and over subsequent years we traded it back and forth a few times - for a dollar - until the day it stayed with me. It has a sentimental value that far outweighs it's dollar value. Thanks.

I74

The Matchless is a '49. Originally had a 350 it currently has a '51 500 in the cradle. I have all the original 350 motor/trans etc should I want to put it back to original. About 50 years ago my best pal at the time and I were buzzing along on our mini's ( he had a Lil Indian and out-ran me every time) when we stopped at one of his neighbors who was into flat tracking. The guy had a barn full of AJS / Matchless, James and other bikes. He was selling this particular bike. My pal took it down the road and I fell for the tapered blue flame coming off the pipe. I said " if you don't buy it I will" He purchased it so I told him " if you ever decide to sell it, you better call me first". He rode it a number of years then called me one night " Randy, I want to buy a small sail boat, I'm bringing you the AJ" . I bought it and over subsequent years we traded it back and forth a few times - for a dollar - until the day it stayed with me. It has a sentimental value that far outweighs it's dollar value. Thanks.
''Super cool '',, & I bet that 500 thumper sounds great !! :cool:

Last edited: