The Lost has been Found

I74

LOL, I figured you had to of known, being on a bike site and all.....that little lever - damn you have good eyes - that little lever is the magneto advance/retard.
I knew it had to have something to do with the starting.
Gott'a set that sucker retarded,, like on an ''old'' Harley ect.. ;)

I knew it had to have something to do with the starting.
Gott'a set that sucker retarded,, like on an ''old'' Harley ect.. ;)
Exactly, retard and decop to start, then advance to wind -er up, then pull it back a little when cruising. The old riders were Engineers.
Thanks for your interest.

I74

They sure were.

Bet the comp on that beauty is to the moon.

Those old performance bikes were designed to run on Ethyl or Av. gas ect.

Built a pretty much basket 67 Triumph TT-120 flat track bike for a Guy out in Cali years ago.

The comp. on that thing was over 13 -1,, & it could be pretty much stood strait up in 4th gear !

Last edited:
They sure were.

Bet the comp on that beauty is to the moon.

Those old performance bikes were designed to run on Ethyl or Av. gas ect.

Built a pretty much basket 67 Triumph TT-120 flat track bike for a Guy out in Cali years ago.

The comp. on that thing was over 13 -1,, & it could be pretty much stood strait up in 4th gear !

That sounds awesome, buddy of mine had a Sporty that he'd pull up alongside on the highway at 60, drop down a gear, twist the grip and ride the rear as long as he wished.......crazy b@st@rd, lol.
I used to build boats, inboard, outboard, glass, aluminum, mostly ski boats and drag boats though. Built a 16' Kona with a Merc 6 / needledrive for a buddy. Once done I took it out for a shakedown. That thing would tailwalk like nobody's business. Straight up on the stern. I warned him to go slow until he was comfortable with it......had to fish him out about an hour later. Towed the boat back to the marina, flipped it, dried it out and told him again.....

I74

That sounds awesome, buddy of mine had a Sporty that he'd pull up alongside on the highway at 60, drop down a gear, twist the grip and ride the rear as long as he wished.......crazy b@st@rd, lol.
I used to build boats, inboard, outboard, glass, aluminum, mostly ski boats and drag boats though. Built a 16' Kona with a Merc 6 / needledrive for a buddy. Once done I took it out for a shakedown. That thing would tailwalk like nobody's business. Straight up on the stern. I warned him to go slow until he was comfortable with it......had to fish him out about an hour later. Towed the boat back to the marina, flipped it, dried it out and told him again.....
Love Merc. stuff,, No. 6 drive is the $hit.

Tried my hand for a stint as a tech. in a Merc/Glastron dealership, back in the mid 90's.

Got a 1965 Kiekhaefer/Merc 65 out board running for a Guy this summer, & also a 78' Merc. 850, for him.

Rebuilt the mag. & carbs on the 65, & made new wiring ect. ect.

The 850, did carbs,, module,, wiring,,, & stator work,,ect. ect.

Those both sound wick'd on the cups now !! :p

I74

Added,,

If you go to page 2 in the ''off topic'' section,, I have a really cool thread about ''Unlimited Hydro's'' ect. :cool:

I

Love Merc. stuff,, No. 6 drive is the $hit.

Tried my hand for a stint as a tech. in a Merc/Glastron dealership, back in the mid 90's.

Got a 1965 Kiekhaefer/Merc 65 out board running for a Guy this summer, & also a 78' Merc. 850, for him.

Rebuilt the mag. & carbs on the 65, & made new wiring ect. ect.

The 850, did carbs,, module,, wiring,,, & stator work,,ect. ect.

Those both sound wick'd on the cups now !! :p
Amazing how much people who've never before met can have in common eh? I'll check out your thread.

Okay, so I still haven't got the pics yet - but I did luck-out elsewhere. First, I bought an old 1960's Kart from a fellow in Niagara Falls. It looks half homebuilt but that's okay. I bought it because it had 2 - 4" manco wheels on the front and 2-5" wheels on the rear. I wanted the 4" ones for the minibike. When we bend up a couple more frames I'll use the 5" on one and a couple 8" on another.....but 1 thing at a time.
Also, I located and contacted a fellow I sold my Dad's old Dart kart to about 35 years ago. He said when he finds the name of the guy he sold it to - in a town 20 minutes from me - he'll pass it along. It could have changed hands any number of times since but I have a good start on finding it.

So the kart saga continues. ( still no time to work on the mini bike, later in the winter) I spoke with the 2nd guy who had it after me. He doesn't have it any longer, he sold it to another fellow a further 20 minutes from my place who used to race stack cars ( I remember watching him race in the 60's and 70's) so now I'm heading to visit him in the near future.......there's still hope.

Here ya go Mustangfrank. This is the condition as I bought it back. Wrong engine, wrong seat, wrong wheels and tires, no clutch/chain guard, missing fenders and the forks are somewhat mangled. ......but I'll get it done. Bought an older home-made gokart just for the wheels ( I'll re-up the gokart for my Grandchildren too). I'll post up some pics of the wheels later.....just didn't want Mustangfrank to think I was bluffing, lol.

Attachments