The madness continues...MTD Trail Flite

jspbtown

It came up near by so I just had to.......

Anything exciting about the history of the model? Its in nice shape. Good tires, seat, rims,. Just needs a good cleaning and some motor work. Of cours enew controls, new chain, new band brake.

Not sure what color yet...I need to use up some paint so its a goldish color, a sky blue, a silver, a purple or a green.....Thinking maybe all silver with the black tires and black seat? Maybe a contrasting color on the chain Just bought1.jpg Just bought4.jpg Just bought3.jpg Just bought2.jpg in guard?

Harquebus

Ya know I was thinking of doing just that. I just don't know about this "patina" thing. It seems popular but is that what people really want?
"It's only original once".
Is this thing all original? If not, it's in an original-as-found condition. I like patina too but I also like preservation. I might go nuts using a rust treatment on the frame's active rust, dab it on where needed, sort of seal it in, but then detail it and wax the paint.

- Add matching grips plus a new vintage throttle assembly in chrome like they all are.
- Use some steel wool on the brake handle to remove the rust but don't try to make it perfect, just presentable.
- Leave the chain guard alone for the most part. Maybe treat the inside so it's not rusting in two directions.
- Clean up those zip ties, ack!

Might be able to clean off the active rust on the chain guard with #0000 steel wool--rub it lightly until the paint comes back.
Then seal it with some kind of clear or even boiled linseed oil. Love that intact label on it.

The museum people preserve all that--the mantra is sort of like "do no harm."
I'd make it look like it was taken care of but got old and weathered anyway.

jspbtown

I am pretty sure its original paint. The sticker on the front fender looks original, there is a sticker near the handlebar mounts that says something like "On rider at a time" (something like that).

I actually have another brake handle that is exactly like that one but new.

So maybe clean the engine up a bit...a new carb maybe....and see if I can get it running? Then try to clean the paint, treat the surface rust (small dine size patch here and there), clean the wheels, make sure the brake is running good, and push it down the road?

Won't have to get much for it because I think I got it for a decent price.

Harquebus

So maybe clean the engine up a bit... ...push it down the road?
Won't have to get much for it because I think I got it for a decent price.
Aw, you're just flipping it? I thought it was a keeper. I'd love to have something like that.

Sure, clean up the engine; clean the dirt caked around the cooling fins, clean everything.
Get it running? Yes, I thought that was what we all did. Isn't that the point?
New carb? I thought they were unobtainium unless it's a NOS one. What about a carb kit (float, needle, gaskets)?

Or do nothing and send it down the road. I dunno (shrugs). Someone else is going to spray bomb the whole thing
in neon green (and put Monster stickers on it) because "it's ugly and rusty". I mean the whole thing, engine, frame, tires :oops::D

*Forgot to add, they'll throw out the motor and put a Predator on it.

desert rat

I would lightly massage the rusty parts (there was a aluminum foil hack on here) and use some auto cleaning wax on the rest. Find and reinstall the proper parts with the oldest good ones. Then I would keep it around. If you are parting with it I'm interested - AS IS.

Last edited:
I will be flipping it. These are just a distraction for me. If you are interested in it I would flip for my cost plus what I usually make on one I rebuild.

So a replacement carb is not one of those chinese EBAY ones? I really have spent ZERO time with this bike. I bought it Friday afternoon and rolled it into my garage. Motor spins.

And yes...I will admit it...the thought of throwing a Predator on it crossed my mind.

But OK....will take the disassemble, clean, and re-assemble and see what it can generate.

I think its a 4 horse?

desert rat

I will be flipping it. These are just a distraction for me. If you are interested in it I would flip for my cost plus what I usually make on one I rebuild.

So a replacement carb is not one of those chinese EBAY ones? I really have spent ZERO time with this bike. I bought it Friday afternoon and rolled it into my garage. Motor spins.

And yes...I will admit it...the thought of throwing a Predator on it crossed my mind.

But OK....will take the disassemble, clean, and re-assemble and see what it can generate.

I think its a 4 horse?
Where are you located?

desert rat

I'm out. I have to find some kind of limit to how far I will drive to get one, I don't do shipping. Three states/ three days has got to be it. Another one gets away.

OK...so I am going the patina look barn find route

Question that might be obvious...it came with a Tecumseh 2.5hp. Get it running or install a 5hp that I have?

Going to try the patina approach. If I get no action on it I will just strip it all down and redo it like I usually do,

Lets see what the "patina" market really is.