The mini bike that brought me here....

I don't believe I ever posted pictures of my survivor lil indian model 400. Bought from original owner almost 25 years ago. Brought it home, did a tune up and rode it for a couple years and parked it. Got it out yesterday for the first time in a long time and took some pictures.

All original except grips, throttle cable and (ziptie/electrical tape cable clamps :))! I believe the duct tape on the rear corner of the seat came from the factory ;).

I spoke with Ray Michrina right after I bought it and he seemed to believe it was '67 (thus my screen name) and told me the serial number would be on the motor mount plate....never could find it. I eventually found it on the rear axle mount (#23778). Also the original Carlisle double indian heads are coded 68 and 98. Would that make this a '68?

You can see what's left of the lil indian engine decal and the Michrina decal on the headtube. I'm not sure if it ever had a chainguard......I'm guessing it did.
Tires hold air and it runs and rides just like it should. At this point, I don't plan to restore it....it's a survivor only once.

20230316_130601.jpg
20230316_131250.jpg
20230316_130646.jpg 20230316_131118.jpg 20230316_131339.jpg 20230316_131650.jpg 20230316_131748.jpg 20230316_131849.jpg

Harquebus

I agree, that one is not a candidate for "restoration"; I put that in quotes because people rarely restore as much as repair and/or customize.
Restore means a return to original condition so it's only original once, and yours is closer to original than it will ever be once you attempt a restoration.

Nice bike. I LOVE honest minibikes with normal wear and tear, or 'patina'.

The only ones that really should get a restoration are the ones found stripped, with shrubbery growing through the frame and a nice coat of rust. You know, the basket cases.

Thanks for the comments!
markus, thank you for the offer....those are some awesome grips....a rare find for sure.
Right after I spoke with Ray Michrina years ago, I purchased some parts from him including some decals, and grips....I will have to find that stash and see what grips I got from him. I will let you know if I decide to take you up on the offer.

Harquebus, my sentiments exactly....you can't reproduce patina. Over the years I've collected all of the decals to do an accurate restoration. There's also an exact duplicate of this seat. Everything's available to make it better than new but, I've backed away from that idea and my plan for now is to leave it just like it is other than little things like cables and grips.

20230318_112250.jpg

markus

Thanks for the comments!
markus, thank you for the offer....those are some awesome grips....a rare find for sure.
Right after I spoke with Ray Michrina years ago, I purchased some parts from him including some decals, and grips....I will have to find that stash and see what grips I got from him. I will let you know if I decide to take you up on the offer.

Harquebus, my sentiments exactly....you can't reproduce patina. Over the years I've collected all of the decals to do an accurate restoration. There's also an exact duplicate of this seat. Everything's available to make it better than new but, I've backed away from that idea and my plan for now is to leave it just like it is other than little things like cables and grips.

View attachment 299816
No problem, like I had said in my reply to you in pm’s a couple of weeks ago that I said I would check for more after you wanted the last set that had already sold. Just wanted to give you first choice before I posted them up for sale.

bbiggs54

I don't believe I ever posted pictures of my survivor lil indian model 400. Bought from original owner almost 25 years ago. Brought it home, did a tune up and rode it for a couple years and parked it. Got it out yesterday for the first time in a long time and took some pictures.

All original except grips, throttle cable and (ziptie/electrical tape cable clamps :))! I believe the duct tape on the rear corner of the seat came from the factory ;).

I spoke with Ray Michrina right after I bought it and he seemed to believe it was '67 (thus my screen name) and told me the serial number would be on the motor mount plate....never could find it. I eventually found it on the rear axle mount (#23778). Also the original Carlisle double indian heads are coded 68 and 98. Would that make this a '68?

You can see what's left of the lil indian engine decal and the Michrina decal on the headtube. I'm not sure if it ever had a chainguard......I'm guessing it did.
Tires hold air and it runs and rides just like it should. At this point, I don't plan to restore it....it's a survivor only once.

View attachment 299793
View attachment 299794
View attachment 299795 View attachment 299796 View attachment 299797 View attachment 299798 View attachment 299799 View attachment 299800
Crazy that's a duplicate of my first mini bike. Color motor and all. In fact I'm building one like it now. I've got the motor I would love to know the color of the 2.25 briggs, that's the color of the motor that my Indian had on it and I want to match it. Any one know?

Crazy that's a duplicate of my first mini bike. Color motor and all. In fact I'm building one like it now. I've got the motor I would love to know the color of the 2.25 briggs, that's the color of the motor that my Indian had on it and I want to match it. Any one know?

That's awesome you're getting to recreate your first mini bike. I have no idea what the exact color match would be but, I'm guessing someone on here knows. All the best with your resto.

My understanding is that '67 and earlier Briggs decal was "2-1/4"......'68 and later was "2.25". That's another reason I believe mine is a '68....not '67.

It looks like yours has the larger steering tube as found on 69 and up Century series, also found on some later 68 bikes. Although serial numbers don't mean much, yours is in the 23,000 range whereas my 68 with small steering tube is in the 18,000 range. Also the first two digits of the last group of numbers in the engine code and serial are the year of manufacture. I would also grab those grips from Markus while you can because chances are, whatever you got from Allied isn't correct for your year. Yes, Allied will sell you ANYTHING and tell you it's genuine!. Just for curiosity sake, how many fins are on your brake back plate?. I had a 67 that the backing plate didn't have any fins, my 68 had 3 and most from 69 up had 5 that I've had and seen. Love the bike, keep it as original survivor as you can.

-A2M

Last edited:

bbiggs54

It looks like yours has the larger steering tube as found on 69 and up Century series, also found on some later 68 bikes. Although serial numbers don't mean much, yours is in the 22,000 range whereas my 68 with small steering tube is in the 18,000 range. Also the first two digits of the last group of numbers in the engine code and serial are the year of manufacture. I would also grab those grips from Markus while you can because chances are, whatever you got from Allied isn't correct for your year. Yes, Allied will sell you ANYTHING and tell you it's genuine!. Just for curiosity sake, how many fins are on your brake back plate?. I had a 67 that the backing plate didn't have any fins, my 68 had 3 and most from 69 up had 5 that I've had and seen. Love the bike, keep it as original survivor as you can.

-A2M
I already bought both sets from Mark. :(

It looks like yours has the larger steering tube as found on 69 and up Century series, also found on some later 68 bikes. Although serial numbers don't mean much, yours is in the 23,000 range whereas my 68 with small steering tube is in the 18,000 range. Also the first two digits of the last group of numbers in the engine code and serial are the year of manufacture. I would also grab those grips from Markus while you can because chances are, whatever you got from Allied isn't correct for your year. Yes, Allied will sell you ANYTHING and tell you it's genuine!. Just for curiosity sake, how many fins are on your brake back plate?. I had a 67 that the backing plate didn't have any fins, my 68 had 3 and most from 69 up had 5 that I've had and seen. Love the bike, keep it as original survivor as you can.

-A2M

Thanks for the information and comments! My steer tube is 1-1/8" od so, I assume larger version. Engine is a '68 and the disc caliper backing plate is 3 rib. Tires are dated '68, engine decal started in '68. The serial numbers may be vague but at least they line up here. I'm guessing this is a 1968....I probably need to change my name.....just kidding!

I already bought both sets from Mark. :(
Glad you were able to get them......markus offered them to me thinking I had inquired about them but that wasn't me so, I passed.

I'm thinking about putting a reproduction seat on it to prevent further ware on the original seat.
The tires? I will probably run the originals since I will ride it very seldom......it's not like they are cracking or falling apart.
I assume black cables are correct. I've seen black and white used.

That's beautiful JJ! You did a great job!

Mine probably still has dirt and grease on it from 1968.....I know I've never cleaned it.....just tuned and putted around. I am going to do a full disassembly and clean and lube it without disturbing any of the original finish...no painting! I think it'll turn out ok.....at least look better than it does now.

Harquebus

...you can't reproduce patina. Over the years I've collected all of the decals to do an accurate restoration. There's also an exact duplicate of this seat. Everything's available to make it better than new but, I've backed away from that idea and my plan for now is to leave it just like it is other than little things like cables and grips.
I have almost no qualms against tidying up engines though and stopping active rust. Engines seem to suffer the worst from the elements because I think they were given just the most rudimentary paint jobs, while the frames (from the minibike manufacturer) were given a thick paint job or multiple coats.

My pet peeve is a Briggs blower cover rusting from the inside out. They're only painted on one side.

That's awesome you're getting to recreate your first mini bike. I have no idea what the exact color match would be but, I'm guessing someone on here knows. All the best with your resto.

My understanding is that '67 and earlier Briggs decal was "2-1/4"......'68 and later was "2.25". That's another reason I believe mine is a '68....not '67.
Serial numbers help to tell ..Early and Late can be the later year and earlier year as parts where used up year to year Runs...love Lil Indians....