The new Baja Comet 90 is a Honda CT70 knock-off

On Canadian Tire, I see a new Baja Comet 90cc which is a Honda CT70 knock-off:
Baja Comet 90cc Mini Bike | Canadian Tire

Price of $1000. Price seems a bit high. The website does not state, but maybe that price is in Canadian dollars. Color is lime.

At least the price is less than the MSRP of the American Lifan knock-off at $1,300.
American Lifan - Chinese Motorcycles | Poised as the leader in the Chinese motorcycle market. We offer quality products with an affordable pricetag.

I do not see the minibike listed on the American Baja Motorsports online.
http://www.bajamotorsportsonline.com/product_category_minibike.php

Maybe it will come to the US soon.

Last edited:

den35

I just bought one.It needed a few things for my preference,but IMO it's worth the price for a brand new bike.I'm happy with it.

And yes.It's a carbon copy of a CT70.Just not street legal in Canada.

den35

I just picked up a 79 CT70 today,and snapped a shot of it and my Comet side by side.Looks to me loike hondas patent ran out and someone in China jumped all over it.You decide.

The red one is the real CT70.The green one is the Baja Comet.

Obviously its a copy of the honda ct70 but 1000 dollars? You could fix one up for a lot less. Also why yis the green one leaning so much?

den35

That's where the kickstand puts it.The stand on the CT is my own handywork.It didn't have one when I got it.

They are a a stripped down version of clone CT70. Does not have any chrome or rear grab bar. My clones are much nicer. Mine also have the center stand and do not lean over as far when on side stand. I go with the 110cc American Lifan. If you shop around you can get new 110cc ones for the same money. I had no trouble with mine and I have had them for 6 years.

I just picked up a 79 CT70 today,and snapped a shot of it and my Comet side by side.Looks to me loike hondas patent ran out and someone in China jumped all over it.You decide.

The red one is the real CT70.The green one is the Baja Comet.
The Comet is nice looking. If the price would come down a bit and be street legal in the US, I night consider getting one. Isn't it funny the way the Chinese are copycats of the Japanese, the same way the Japanese copycat so much in the 1960's and 1970's, while their manufacturing capabilities were developing?

den35

......If the price would come down a bit and be street legal in the US,.....
If I may say so,the clone ct70's I've seen online are selling for $1200+.True the Comet isn't street legal,But the price is $999 CDN.At current rates,I think that's around $750 USD.(I could be wrong on that point)

Sorry if it sounds like I'm promoting the Comet.But in truth it's a good little bike that fits into,what is up here,a rather weak industry.We don't have the selection that the US has without paying high shipping and customs costs.Some styles aren't even legal to ship into Canada.
And I've yet to find a Canadian made mini newer than the early 70's Moto-Skeeter.

But I'm working on that.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Just bought a comet 90cc at local Canadian Tire Store 499$ brand new, works excellent!! Brings back memories of my old '77 ct 70 I used to have. Great bike for the price but seems they are discontinued here in Canada. Has anyone put CT 70 parts on these things?

Some of the body pieces interchange on them.They are different than the old US Trail 70 version we are use to in the states, Honda made a lot of changes to them over the years. 12 volt CDI ignition, different headlights and speedo too. You have to remember those are clones of the Later Honda Trial 70 ( Called Dax 70 in other countries) that were sold everywhere else but the United states up until late 90's before Honda stop making them and the Chinese started them back up. The clone Trail 70 pieces should be a direct fit to the Baja bike.