The Official Bonanza Mini Bike Thread . . .

markus

I'm looking for original bonanza parts. I live by and bought Azusa Engineering's 5in hub as a temp fix. the lever and plate are not same. It 90% done and like to find these correct parts. Thanks.
was the B reversed like that on the rising sun decals originally? Did you see the NOS tank mounting/gas cap package on ebay? For like a day or so then got deleted (I think chuck probably sold it off ebay right away) He had it at like a $750 price. I wish Kelch woud have still offered the correct thread pitch for those caps, The ones I modified to at least look close will only work with the Briggs thread pitch filler neck like they were using on some of the repop tanks, not the original necks. At least they worked on the post 1970 Plastic Tec tanks so It was not a total fail My fake version is one the left obviously ;)

was the B reversed like that on the rising sun decals originally? Did you see the NOS tank mounting/gas cap package on ebay? For like a day or so then got deleted (I think chuck probably sold it off ebay right away) He had it at like a $750 price. I wish Kelch woud have still offered the correct thread pitch for those caps, The ones I modified to at least look close will only work with the Briggs thread pitch filler neck like they were using on some of the repop tanks, not the original necks. At least they worked on the post 1970 Plastic Tec tanks so It was not a total fail My fake version is one the left obviously ;)

I followed this build by Dave Miller. The original gas cap came w/bike. $700 for one is irrational. If a rich person bought for that it could help a lot of people more, if they had any character, IMHO.

Attachments

markus

Similar to their Typhoon.
Cool, I was just curious about the Reversed "B" on yours as to if it was something significant. If I was to ever do another Tanked Nanza I would probably use that paint scheme unless It was and original type resto. You dont see the MX tanked bikes with the Rising sun much in literature, when you do, its only the right side :D

Like the never was Cyclone :

July 72 bonanza cyclone161.jpg

and the TC spoked wheel MX: 1972 bonanza tc.jpg

They had it on the literature though....at least on my Bell electronics era catalog:

IMG_2597.JPG

I went the round badge route when I did one of the MX's, I saw it on another bike that really didn't seem to actually make production as far as I know, but they advertised it in a few mags.

One of these odd shaped tanks that's on the Midi-bike (shown below) that I got the idea from did in fact show up a couple of years ago on ebay, It was NOS though and on its own.

bonanzahodaka.jpg

The old Bonanza lives again!
After about a year it is finished! Fully powder coated all stainless hardware.
Here are the engine specs:
Originally started as a brand new Tillotson 212R. Originally a 10hp engine. It has following additions for performance and reliability.
-Complete governor has been removed and sealed.
- Fan shroud and gas tank replaced with chrome shroud and top plate.
- Carburetor upgraded to Genuine Mikuni VM22-133 with Genuine Mikuni fuel pump. It is coupled with a EC Carburetor spacer.
- Rocket Arms replaced with Gage 1.3 Roller rockers and 26 lb Springs with upgraded retainers.
- Side cover replaced with ARC Billet cover with upgraded bushings and vent ports.
- Flywheel replaced with ARC billet flywheel.
- Ignition coil wire replaced with Moroso Blue Max solid core with short boot.
- Valve cover replaced with clear valve cover and connected to aluminum catch can.
- it is filled with Penn Grade 10w-40 (green oil) with autolite AR3910X racing spark plug.
- Exhaust removed and replaced with wrapped header and muffler.
- All replaced hardware is stainless steel cap screws and tubing is Saint-Gobain Tygon hose.
I designed and made the upholstery.

Attachments

Midyrman

Bike is officially done.

Thank you again to Bill Lovitz and Karen Krause for their respective contributions to bring back a rare Hodaka equipped w/tall jack shaft and very cool yellow MX1510. Karen did her thing starting with the original fiberglass seat pan. Bill built the e code engine, sourced the MX exhaust, and graciously coached the restoration from start to finish. I love this bike!

Attachments

Midyrman

Slywilliez was thoughtful enough to allow me to own and resurrect his very rare MX1310 TCS. I’ve learned through the process what a unique bike the TCS is. Spoked 10 inch wheels. Front and rear drum brakes requiring unique fork tubes and rear swing arm. Large chain rear sprocket located on the left side opposite the drum brake. White fiberglass tank with the cool Bonanza decal also found on the Bonanza Typhoon and later-year MX1510 Yellow Hodaka bikes. Powered by a lighted Tec 4HP for front and rear lights, along with a 5/8 belt driven Comet torque converter setup with cover.

Perhaps above all is the GM Rally Green from ‘68-‘69 that tops it all. This color green was found under the Bonanza engine ID plate located on the engine mount plate and confirmed by finding several solid traces of the green in numerous tight crevices of the bike when stripping the purple repaint.

Gotta ways to go but thanks to the guidance of Slywilliez/Bill I am almost there. 28FF4210-CA64-4D41-B4DD-F452CF8B36B0.jpeg 5E2C37FB-86D6-4304-BF45-8D5004B5C46D.jpeg 1F8145F6-F184-4304-96B2-ED6CC70DD4C5.jpeg 10D870BD-D0A6-4D5D-A90B-3E87E9A2792B.jpeg 828E48F6-101A-48A8-82D8-D127217D0F66.jpeg 353EA425-FBD0-41B4-82FB-C4460A19FBD6.jpeg FD91129F-3BEA-4EB2-8E26-6E4060705938.jpeg B256B7BA-1DB2-429A-A817-E495B789118E.jpeg EC4C59BB-2978-453C-AC0B-88A86477F9DA.jpeg F2BC3AC3-5F67-4897-989A-372A22559471.jpeg 5DD27D58-11A3-445C-ACEF-0C639BC5B894.jpeg

Attachments

GustoGuy

The old Bonanza lives again!
After about a year it is finished! Fully powder coated all stainless hardware.
Here are the engine specs:
Originally started as a brand new Tillotson 212R. Originally a 10hp engine. It has following additions for performance and reliability.
-Complete governor has been removed and sealed.
- Fan shroud and gas tank replaced with chrome shroud and top plate.
- Carburetor upgraded to Genuine Mikuni VM22-133 with Genuine Mikuni fuel pump. It is coupled with a EC Carburetor spacer.
- Rocket Arms replaced with Gage 1.3 Roller rockers and 26 lb Springs with upgraded retainers.
- Side cover replaced with ARC Billet cover with upgraded bushings and vent ports.
- Flywheel replaced with ARC billet flywheel.
- Ignition coil wire replaced with Moroso Blue Max solid core with short boot.
- Valve cover replaced with clear valve cover and connected to aluminum catch can.
- it is filled with Penn Grade 10w-40 (green oil) with autolite AR3910X racing spark plug.
- Exhaust removed and replaced with wrapped header and muffler.
- All replaced hardware is stainless steel cap screws and tubing is Saint-Gobain Tygon hose.
I designed and made the upholstery.
Nice bike. How is it to ride that short wheel based Bonanza with Tillotson 212R engine? I have a Rupp Roadster 2 with a built Predator 212cc and while I can ride it just fine last year I let my wife's nephew ride it and despite telling me that he used to ride Yamaha 125cc dirt bike he wheelied it over. Last thing I told him was don't gun it. Evidently he didn't listen.

joshua. c.

Anyone ever pop one of the newer Briggs Lo206 engines on their Bonaza?
I'll tell you how it goes when im done, well its not actualy a lo 206 but it is a freshly rebuilt briggs Animal with some power adding mods. My aim is for the bike to be stupidly overpowerd. (power = fun)

GustoGuy

I'll tell you how it goes when im done, well its not actualy a lo 206 but it is a freshly rebuilt briggs Animal with some power adding mods. My aim is for the bike to be stupidly overpowerd. (power = fun)

"Liked Stupidly overpowered". Don't let any newbies ride or they will eat $hit and die and wreck your ride.