The Official MTD MIni Bike Thread

Yes you read it right. A thread dedicated to those lovable bikes from the Modern Tool and Die company. Often maligned and misunderstood….a frame that only a mother could love ! Their homeliness topped only by their ability to throw the unsuspecting rider through those (almost) chrome Woolly Mammoth style handlebars or off the back of that "Hook and Ladder" frame.

I once asked "Who says MTD's are ugly ?"....and someone replied "Anyone with the gift of sight". It's like when they were building the proto-type and pulling the metal out of the rack the boss stood there chomping on a cigar with a crazed look in his eyes yelling "more metal...more metal !!"

But you know you secretly want one! I have owned several myself . They are actually a well built machine as you would expect from a Tool and Die shop…and some nice customs have been showing up lately. Let's put 'em all in one place, it's time they had their day in the sun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this was another one of those “I guess it was meant to be” purchases that seem to find me. This Western/Columbia/MTD/ or whatever the hell they're called got listed on Ebay couple weeks ago on a Friday night…Buy-it-now $200 or make an offer……it was a few hours away in PA. The pics were kinda fuzzy…but after consulting with a few of my “go-to” guys :shifty: here on the OldMiniBikes I decided it might be worth a shot..
.....as TRK put it “hell the mini-bike hs40 with the crooked intake is worth that much!!!! :drool: ”

I didn’t really need another bike, but just for the heck of it I sent an offer of $150 bucks and went to bed…figured the guy would just ignore me. When I checked my mail the next morning the guy wrote back….said he’d take the $150…:eek:hmy: that he was a musician and was playing a gig in NJ tomorrow and would deliver it for $175 cash.:facepalm:
Hell my pig Suburban would burn $60 in gas going to get it ….. how could I say no ??? Sure enough I met him up by the turnpike...in pulls a box van filled with guitars, drums, keyboards, amplifiers...and a mini-bike :scooter:
Well here’s the bike:

All I did was give it a bath and change the grips. This friggin thing is beautiful. Looks like somebody pulled this bike down to nothing and did a ground up nut and bolt resto on it…and I don’t mean an "Earl Schieb" job with overspray everywhere, the deep metallic maroon/ purple was laid on by a pro. The pictures don’t even do it justice. Looks like Imron or something…it laughs at oil and gasoline….I spilled gas all over it and it just makes it shine more. All the chrome, hardware, etc is clean and shiny and was all properly installed after it was painted and re-assembled. Fenders are perfect (or maybe replaced ??) Beautiful brand new seat stitched on the original board. Carlisle double Indian Heads to boot :drool: :drool: Oh yeah, there's even one of those old chrome Taylor Spark Arrestors inside that chrome shield....:drool:
If I didn't know better I'd call it a survivor but it can't be........

I had my kid pull the carb down and do a complete rebuild on it….fired up on the 2nd pull and runs like a champ. Even the cool old gas gage gadget in the tank works perfect. The only down side is the oem TAV is gone…somebody put a Max-Torque clutch in with 40 series roller chain hooked to the jackshaft….. but this thing still flies.
Even though it’s a 6” wheel bike it feels and rides like a bigger bike. I think that big back tire helps…. I hate to say but this bike is really starting to grow on me..... it’s the best riding, most reliable bike I have right now. I had it out for 4 hours today and had a blast on it.. One of those bikes where you can just casually reach down and give the motor an easy half pull and it starts and idles..takes off and GOES!! ...Handles good, stops good....I think I'm in love with an "Ugly Betty": :facepalm:

So far it’s the best $150 I ever spent on a mini-bike......

Finally finished this build. It was tough, one thing after another but it's finally done.

I know people are going to shun me for what was done to this frame but unfortunately there was no other way. Too many parts were missing and someone already took an angle grinder to the original jackshaft and engine plates.

The engine mount was removed, repositioned and rewelded to allow clearance for the chain on the left side (Originally being on the right side)

The wheel was realigned and a larger sprocket was drilled and added to enable the bike to move with that small 2HP Briggs.

The original fork set was a wreck so I bought a set off a member here. The original fork set has been repaired, just needs paint.

I was given an old mini bike frame over the summer and really didn't have a clue as to what kind it was. After some searching, thanks to this forum, I found out it was a 1972 Columbia MTD 523-2 model.

It had everything except the torque converter so I am making due without out, or I'm going to try to at least. I can't seem to find one to buy.

I started restoring it a couple of months ago and it's been a process, sanding all the rust off, stripping it, etc, but it is coming together slowly but surely.

I should be getting all the rest of the parts in next week, but here is how the restoration has progressed so far.

Stripping the frame down

And the process of building it back up begins. The first part I ordered was some new bearings and bolt for the fork

I then got a pair of new shocks

I primed everything today to get ready for the final stage of completion.

Like I said, the rest of the parts should be in this week. It's been a fun little project so far though.