The Official MTD MIni Bike Thread

This is the one I have.

Is this the one you are looking for? I may have another- it was a little taller but still did fit the tank.
Just have to find it I have no idea where it is

joshua. c.

hears my mtd project, the engine is original and turns but need some parts everything moves freely and functional despite being a bit rusty. and I've already cleaned the clutches.. who woold have thought a reasonably priced shroud woold be so hard to find. mtd before shroud side.JPG mtd before clutch side.JPG

I'm planning on picking up a Trail Flite 600 series (the folding handlebars - have been welded in place) this weekend. My first foray into pull-start mini bikes. I have a Honda ST90 I'm restoring, but that's a different, street legal, shifting animal.

It has some other sort of engine on it, no kickstand and does not have the original gas tank. Anything I should be looking out for? Seems to have a lever-throttle on it, and no rear brake cable setup. So I'll grab a twist throttle and will need a brake cable for the rear.

I'm thinking of grinding off the handlebars, bolting handlebar clamps to the top tree and getting some 700-series style handlebars. Any suggestions on current aftermarket handlebars that are a decent match to the originals?

I'm planning on picking up a Trail Flite 600 series (the folding handlebars - have been welded in place) this weekend. My first foray into pull-start mini bikes. I have a Honda ST90 I'm restoring, but that's a different, street legal, shifting animal.

It has some other sort of engine on it, no kickstand and does not have the original gas tank. Anything I should be looking out for? Seems to have a lever-throttle on it, and no rear brake cable setup. So I'll grab a twist throttle and will need a brake cable for the rear.

I'm thinking of grinding off the handlebars, bolting handlebar clamps to the top tree and getting some 700-series style handlebars. Any suggestions on current aftermarket handlebars that are a decent match to the originals?
do you have any pics?
Couldn’t you just grind off the welds and use the handlebars you already have?

The model I'm getting is like the first photo - it has handlebars that could originally be rotated and secured with knobs on the sides of the triple tree.

The 700 series model, like the 2nd photo, uses more traditional clamps and bars. I prefer the look etc. of the traditional bars, and am looking for handlebars with a cross bar like in the photo, and was wondering if anyone had used aftermarket 'BMX' style bars on their bikes.

mtd653_1.jpg mtd1974trailflite1.jpg

BTW I’m in the market for an original style gas tank and seat as well, and if there are any parts diagrams / manuals out there those would be useful also.

cfh

just from riding these two bikes, the top picture (non-adjustable bars) just does not handle as well as the motocross style bars in the lower picture. I don't want to say it handles 'weird', but it kind of does. the Motocross style bars in the lower picture can be forward/back adjusted, and it just makes for a better handling bike. and the bend is just better. The top picture you can't adjust the bars in any way... they are fixed. (those two pictures are from my mtd web site by the way - the top bike is mine, the bottom bike is a friend's.)

just from riding these two bikes, the top picture (non-adjustable bars) just does not handle as well as the motocross style bars in the lower picture. I don't want to say it handles 'weird', but it kind of does. the Motocross style bars in the lower picture can be forward/back adjusted, and it just makes for a better handling bike. and the bend is just better. The top picture you can't adjust the bars in any way... they are fixed. (those two pictures are from my mtd web site by the way - the top bike is mine, the bottom bike is a friend's.)
Right - that’s why I plan to convert mine to the motocross style. Just need some risers and bars (and a grinder and drill).

Are your bars original? I’d like to find some bars that are a close match.

I sold $450 worth of parts off this old girl and still have the roller, the V-Plex drive clutches brought crazy $ the rest did well too. The black one I got for $75 sold most of the parts and will soon sell the tank and jackshaft mounts as well as the wheels and brake setup. I will then take it to a local minibike frame builder and have kart rails welded in place of the plate and jackshaft mount, it will get a racing kart jackshaft too and will run a NOS chrome Azusa tank and 6" Manco wheels with a nice NOS Taiwanese brake and sprocket setup. I'll run a very angry 196cc kart spec clone that will whip your ass if you don't start it on the compression stroke. It will be my forever rider since it's front and rear suspended. IMG_4878.JPG IMG_4651.JPG

PatrickCraik

Not really surprised about the high prices,ugly as they are,they have a following. I almost cannibalized and sold off my Rambler but rediscovered how cool it is,in an odd way. I need to post some new pics. I found another F/M driver,although I'm not sure it will work. The fixed sheave is worn. I modified the rear wheel to accept a 54T sprocket. Found a decent HS50 to replace the worn H35. Had a friend recover the trashed seat. Just about ready to reassemble. Happy I hung onto it