The Old Man's El Tigre - Vintage Class

And yes..... I did, in fact, spell my own "name" wrong on my sign. :facepalm:

Plans are to smooth out and clear over the chrome patina on the frame, straighten out and use a spare set of Roper forks unless we can find the correct ones for the El Tigre, NOS 3.5 hp Tec engine, and we're going to try our hand at a homemade seat. This will be a "traditionally styled" build. Nothing too fancy, just want to put together a cool old mini bike. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Here is the bike as found on CL about a month ago.

Did some research and made a few posts and found out what we had and what was missing. Since the forks were incorrect, my first instinct was to cut it up. :hack: Just cause that's how my mind works...

Then a week or two later, the old man noticed upon closer inspection that all of the scratches in the paint were really shiny! So we got a can of paint stripper and started going to town.

I've loved the clear over patina treatment since the first time I saw it on a hot rod. So as soon as I saw how decent the chrome under all that crappy blue paint was, I knew exactly what I wanted to try to do.

Not exactly sure what we're going to do for wheels and tires yet..... I've got my eye on the Astro wheels in the warehouse, I think they'd look sweet on here.

Last edited:
oh man that paint stripper is wicked stuff but it works great!!!!

You got the worse part done now...this is gonna be a cool build in hot Florida :thumbsup:

cool.....Sebac shocks......

if you're gonna pull them apart to restore them there's a thread on here somehwere....ya need a good strap wrench to get them apart without hurting the lower tubes......

Last edited:
That Tecumseh is what makes the build IMHO! :thumbsup: I'm still not 100% sure I have the old man convinced to use it. He really seems to like it having never had any gas or oil in it and just sitting on the shelf...... But he's got two of them, :eek: so I figure the other can sit on the shelf.

Not much of an update, I barely got any time in the garage over the weekend due to a bunch of other commitments. Certainly nothing worth taking any pictures of.

I did strip the paint off of the two spare sets of roper forks we have and was not nearly as lucky with the condition of the chrome underneath the paint on those as I was on the frame. Hopefully have a line on some El Tigre forks from another member on here.... fingers crossed that works out.

Also ordered a super cool little accessory for the 3.5 Tec last week.... Should be here this week and I'll post up pics when it arrives.

Lookie Lookie what the mailman brought today.... If only I knew somewhere to get a really slick KKustom adapter to put this little guy on the tec....... :shifty: