The Original Bullitt Mustang

I went to the Moscone Center in San Francisco for the annual Car Show showcasing all the 2019 models. The reason I went was to see the Original Bullitt Car (one of two used in the film) in person. There’s some good articles online on how the Owner aquirred it and how Steve McQueen tried unsuccessfully to buy it. Hope the pics show up. Still getting used to posting. FC404A63-82EC-4E61-8A61-2F7BF00EE3DE.jpeg 8388F65E-2780-490F-A246-4AAA20D9F3FC.jpeg A9FC1FD9-F11C-4ED3-B45D-C1D779901EC3.jpeg

Last edited:
Very cool and thanks for sharing. I was able to see that car at the auto show in Detroit in January. It's a pretty cool sight to see, and I like how it isn't completely restored either. The patina on that car is absolutely perfect.

Interesting that it is only the 21st "National Historic Vehicle"..... That's kind of sad actually with all the history of the automobile in America. I would have thought that there were thousands of NHV eligible vehicles.

Fathom Events showed "Bullitt" on big screens across the country in a short run last October. My wife and I saw it while we were on vaca in NYC.

Yes the Mustang was and still is a cool car but -- Steve McQueen will always be Mr. Cool

I had a short encounter with Steve McQueen at the Saddle Back mini bike track where his two kids were racing. That was in 1973 and I was an Indian dealer and Todd Peterson was my rider. And Shad McQueen was also on the Indian factory team. I was raffling off a new Indian SE74 mini cycle. Steve came down and bought 1 ticket for a buck so I said to him ( I hope it don't break you dude ) he gave ma a sideways glance and walked away. Twenty minuets later Shad & Terry came down and bought $ 20.00 worth of tickets so I know that I got to him. But I have always been a big fan of his work. RIP MR COOL

Yes the Mustang was and still is a cool car but -- Steve McQueen will always be Mr. Cool

I had a short encounter with Steve McQueen at the Saddle Back mini bike track where his two kids were racing. That was in 1973 and I was an Indian dealer and Todd Peterson was my rider. And Shad McQueen was also on the Indian factory team. I was raffling off a new Indian SE74 mini cycle. Steve came down and bought 1 ticket for a buck so I said to him ( I hope it don't break you dude ) he gave ma a sideways glance and walked away. Twenty minuets later Shad & Terry came down and bought $ 20.00 worth of tickets so I know that I got to him. But I have always been a big fan of his work. RIP MR COOL
Great story!