The reason you pay so much at the Post Office

Addicted 2 Minis

So, a few days ago I ordered some bolts off eBay, they're a special length, otherwise I would have went to the hardware store. Anyhow, the seller was located in Detroit, MI and I'm about 65 miles north. Granted, it only took 4 days to get them, their journey probably cost more than what was charged to ship them. First they went to Pontiac, MI which is about 45 miles north of Detroit. Then they went back 45 miles south to Allen Park which is within the Detroit area, then all the way back up to me, 65 miles north of Detroit. Anyone else have a crazier tracking record from less than 100 miles from where you live?, post it!.

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 1.14.15 AM.png

I just had a package sit in my local post office for 3 days because it arrived earlier than the deliver date...when I approached my Carrier with my data he laughed and said I’d be amazed at the stories he could tell about packages just sitting waiting....that’s $33 an hour talking there....fucking unions...

The post office has gone down hill since the middle of last year. At least you got tracking. The last few packages I was tracking said "On the way to the next destination". Lol. All priority packages use to be 2 days, 3 days at the most. If you get it in a week you are lucky. Same with a letter. Always was 2 days no matter where it was going.

I'm in the SF Bay Area. It will take longer for a package to arrive in the Central Valley area (1.5-2 hours away) than it would for the same package to make it to the East Coast. Central Valley, 3 days going Priority. East Coast is usually 2 days.

I avoid using the USPS for shipping whenever possible.

Placed an order Dec 1, 2020 shipped Dec 3... I'm still waiting.
Think it got caught in the Bermuda Triangle Never to be seen again...

Had to call, they replaced it, shipped again three days i had it.

desert rat

Hot dam a package sent by the school kids on Friday is already right down the road from me. It's headed to LA. from OHIO. I guess the flow is better going west.

Addicted 2 Minis

I'm in the SF Bay Area. It will take longer for a package to arrive in the Central Valley area (1.5-2 hours away) than it would for the same package to make it to the East Coast. Central Valley, 3 days going Priority. East Coast is usually 2 days.

I avoid using the USPS for shipping whenever possible.
I try to avoid them as well, unfortunately if you use FedEx for a P.O. Box, it has to change hands to the Post Office at some point. FedEx can't deliver to P.O. Box's as I found out. Oh, they'll let you create and pay for the label but as soon as the Post Office gets it, they'll tag it as "No Postage Paid" and it'll sit wherever for weeks as was the case in some wheels I sold last month. When it finally made it back to me, I took it right back down to the Post Office and asked why it was returned to me?, they said "There wasn't any postage paid", I whipped out my receipt and said "Really?, what's this?". They said since the label wasn't created through them, they couldn't confirm payment. I told them that I drove 15 miles out of my way to avoid using the Post Office and the Post Office still screws up my package. They made a new label and sent it out, got there in like 3 days. Almost 3 weeks total to get from Michigan to Nevada when it should have been 5-7 days, unacceptable!.

Fourtogo

USPS UPS FEDEX DHL all are working way over capacity right now and in to the future . Everybody and their brother are sitting at home . Ordering everything under the sun 24/7/365 . Amazon are in the own league by them selfs , you can order something before midnight on Amazon and have it in the afternoon In some cases .

USPS UPS FEDEX DHL all are working way over capacity right now and in to the future . Everybody and their brother are sitting at home . Ordering everything under the sun 24/7/365 . Amazon are in the own league by them selfs , you can order something before midnight on Amazon and have it in the afternoon In some cases .
I bought a ball joint tool on Amazon Friday morning when I got to work. It was delivered less than 12 hours later.

Itype2slo

The post office has gone down hill since the middle of last year. At least you got tracking. The last few packages I was tracking said "On the way to the next destination". Lol. All priority packages use to be 2 days, 3 days at the most. If you get it in a week you are lucky. Same with a letter. Always was 2 days no matter where it was going.
The post office was kneecapped by the last administration for dubious reasons, as a result my mail now comes between 8 & 9 pm.

Fourtogo

The post office was kneecapped by the last administration for dubious reasons, as a result my mail now comes between 8 & 9 pm.[/QUOT
USPS a office that will never operate a level , that they can continue WITH OUT yearly bail outs . Congress is they check writer to keep them afloat . They decide where how much is spent on the USPS . My mail comes the same time everyday , they deliver my mail after my other neighbors get their mail first . They are required too deliver all that trash junk mail , that we throw in the recycle bin . UPS DHL FEDEX don’t have that burden .

toomanytoys

I cringe anytime a package is labeled as coming from usps or FedEx.

Ups guy is here 5pm every day like clock work. Fedex wants a darn signature for everything it seems and they show up randomly from 9am to 9pm.

Usps isn't usually a problem but it takes forever to get your stuff. Always has. The post office is dieing anyway. I'm not even sure why anyone would mail a letter or pay a bill via mail. I havent bought a stamp in 10 years! I pay online or if it's a local service like my garbage pick up I just drop it off at the bill pay since I drive right through there.

I know for a fact that when Amazon gets too busy, they have the post office delivery their packages. (Especially around the holidays). How much do you think they are paying the post office for that service? .50 cents a box?. That's why the post office has to keep raising their rates so the regular people pay for that. Amazon has killed small business.

I know people hate Amazon, and the rich bastard that did own it...but you have to admit he’s a genius....and if I was a billionaire I’d have a cocky ego too...probably worse....BUT, as I my town they preach and preach to buy local...keep small businesses going etc.....you go to buy local and the first thing they say is ill have to order that...be here in about a week....fuck that...Amazon has it to me in two days or less....can’t beat that! Just think if all shipping companies could do that

Whenever I order from McMaster Carr I get it the next day with UPS ground service. I ordered a tool bit Christmas week and it still arrived the next day when Amazon was taking a week to deliver with UPS.

Go figure...

desert rat

McMaster Carr is fast. I always get my stuff the next day. I'm not that far from them but it still has to go through the system.
If they are close order it WILL CALL and you can pick it up at the counter. I have never had to wait for more then them to pull the paper off the printer at will call.

NorCal

Any government run (enter industry name here) is going to be dysfunctional. They are pro's at getting into their own way . . . I remember my first government job. After 3 weeks I was told I wasn't going to do well there. I had a bit of a suprised reaction, afterall I just got there. He went on to explain to I had done more in 3 weeks than the last guy did in 3 years. I was told over and over again to slow down, or else I was going to make enemies, as other managers wouldn't want to keep up with the pace I was setting. They operate at the speed of government, and not at the speed of business. The wheels of "change" move S . . . L . . . O . . .W.

I was not a postal employee. But my buddy was. And when comparing notes, he said the Post Office took dysfunction to Jedi level; and I believe him.

Places like Amazon, UPS, and Fedex have a program with the USPS called "the last mile." Essentually 80% of the trip is provided by the company to major hubs. Once at the nearest hub, they subcontract the last part of the trip to USPS because its cheaper to use them than complete the last leg of the delivery, especially if the USPS is going to be heading there anyway to deliver junk mailers, which is how they make a profit after the advent of email.

With the advent of Amazon, USPS was too slow to change with the times. They tried to reinvent themselves as a "Package Company" but their infustructure was geared more toward standard mail than it was packages. And they never invested in the package model like UPS and FedEx did. So before they knew it, they were too far away from being competitive with the other companies; so the decision was made. "Go wrong-stay wrong." A philosophy they've been following ever since.

Last edited: