"The rebel'' cumminsbayou's open class doodle bug

ok so i guess i can try this.i got the doodle bug from someone that rents our house for free a while ago. it was missing parts and stuff but i rigged it all together with a 212cc predator. but didn't use a motor plate so it broke chains. put the 3hp on it a mount or 2 ago and doesn't have the power im looking for. it does great if you wan to put around the niebore hood on but if your looking to go a littel off road or go 30-40 mph you need more power. Im building this on a tight buget but ill make it work out right. So far i know it needs a new motor i can get a 2 stroke briggs or jacobson for it or a pedator 79cc, back tire , front brake, hydrolic rear brake, suspion of some sort, seat, snorkel for motor, rear fender which i have, rebel flag on it, lights, and it needs to get up to 40 im planing to have all this stuff on it by the end of the build off

Spooker

Nice little project. I used the 79cc on my Azusa...not alot of H.P. but a great little motor for the $. Lookin' forward to seeing you build her up!...Spooker

puttin' those big wheels on 'er?
no way i just put them there for the picture i have to order the stuff and since im building it from where it is now its and not taken apart i didn't have any thing to put in it like the motor or any thing the other stuff will like the springs and stuff

i painted the front dirt bike tire last night looks a little better. i saw some people had carrel tires on them that had some good threads on them for mud/off road i also saw some one else had some big aggs on one may go for that. i also saw what im gonna do on the rear suspicion on it. im gonna steal the idea from the member who made "The Six Million Dollar Doodle'' using a bike shock. Im thinking speed isn't gonna be important on this and im gonna put a jack shaft on it. tell me what tires i should use for mud/dirt/sand/ riding

any body know how a small 2 stroke motor 3.5hp(may be a bit lower from being so old) will do off road with a jack shaft
It's a great little engine.. Turf thrower.. :mellow:... Assload of compression, 3.5 horse two stroke.. They are good engines.. use regular crank bearings and stuff.. not like the cheap chinsy new stuff like Tec and Briggs and china builds..

They are actually quite a lot like the Clinton Panther 500 two strokes that many bikes used.. Very similar in size, weight, power, and design..

No two cycle has much for low end torque, they make their power at higher rpms.. pretty much the faster it goes the more power it makes, until ya start out running your spark plug..

So if you are going off road, you probably don't need a lot of top end speed, but power is always gonna be an issue.. SO I'd gear it down.. Having a jackshaft is great for that..

If i were you, I WOULD buy a 5/8 bore clutch (Maxtorque from OldMiniBikes) then put the clutch on the jackshaft driving the wheel, and probably like a 10 to %20 gear reduction from the motor to the jackshaft..

It will stall the clutches engage speed, so the motor will be making more power when you hook up, PLUS give you a low gear ratio for over all pulling power in the machine..

It will gear down your top speed, but the higher rpms of the 2 stroke, will make up for it when it's wound for sound, and tearing up ground... :scooter:

how high you thing the thing can rev before i get to high like you said and out run the spark plug? i was think about using a jack shaft clutch what sprockets do you think i need on my motor and other jack shaft sprocket? or you think it would be better to run 2 clutches one on the motor one on the jack shaft

also shouldn't the 2 stroke be way less heavier then my 3hp briggs on it now. im really loving the fact im getting a 2 stroke for it. im known for loving 2 strokes and when i don't have somthing that is one a littel part in me dies i think:laugh:

You can't overwind the spark really.. :laugh: it's everything else that holds ya back.. Ohhhh I don't know.. 5,000 6,000 range maybe.. I'd say 5,250 :laugh:

I dunno.. You'll want a good sized sprocket on the wheel, then like a 12 tooth on the motor, and 16 on the jackshaft, or something like that.. Or if ya have the money, It's easiest to buy three, say like a 13, 15, and 20, then you can swap em around and have different ratios to experiment with.. If you leave yourself enough room, and use a spring loaded tensioner, you can have TWO sprockets on the jackshaft, run the 18 for big hills.. Stop, loosen and slide the sprockets over, tighten em down, and run the 16 down the road.. :shrug:

I'd say buy a 13 for the motor, and 18 for the jackshaft.. Or bigger even maybe.. like 18 on the motor and 24 on the jackshaft.. It will allow you more chain and teeth making contact with the sprockets, and save your chains life some... A spring loaded tensioner wheel works great for short small sprocket chains like that..

well im gonna have to do some math i think for this one but i know the clutch is 12 tooth,the rear wheel is 60 tooth and the tires are like 13in but may possibly buy some 15s so if i say it is 15in rear wheel how what do i need im not looking for speed just torque now. i was wanting speed because the one motor couldn't go off road so i was limited by just driving on the road but since it was so slow i was wanting speed this sounds really confusing i bet