theredlineboss' - Super Bronc - (Vintage Open)

My entry for this year is a Heald Super Bronc...VT-..something. It's a bit beat up and the forks and front wheel are from something else, but this makes it a good candidate for the Vintage Open class. The stuffed toy represents what I hope will be a budget-minded build this time!

-Rob

Thanks everyone- this should be a fun build. Started off with the basic mock up; due to the frame's shape, I had to remove the air cleaner, muffler, and fuel tank from the 301 for it to slide in:

The jackshaft assembly on this is from a VT5, which is apparently a much smaller bike. As such, the jackshaft is either going to have to be widened or a new one made. I'd rather not cut up the part, so my idea is to use the part as a pattern and make a new one. We'll see.

-Rob

Getting ready to order a driver/driven setup for the Bronc - would anyone have a recommendation for what series TAV I should go for? This is a 8hp engine on a heavy bike, so I'm inclined to think I should go with the 40 series.

Also will need to get the seat figured out- someone has a pattern on eBay, so I'm going to see if a family friend would be able to sew up the vinyl.

-Rob

Been working on this on and off the last few weeks. Acquired the parts I need to make a jackshaft and have been making good progress there. I was going to use a stock setup, but found that the predator engine takes up a lot of space in that part of the bike, necessitating a custom solution.

Now, this bike is a bit more hacked than I initially thought- for example, it appears the fork is made from ATC shocks with minibike crowns booger-welded directly to them. I may have to find a different fork, but we will see.

-Rob

Now, this bike is a bit more hacked than I initially thought- for example, it appears the fork is made from ATC shocks with minibike crowns booger-welded directly to them. I may have to find a different fork, but we will see.

-Rob
Yes this was the first thing I noticed when I looked at your first picture. The wheel appears to be a Honda or Yamaha. The Honda wheel would be an ATC200X by the looks of it.

I think I remember reading that you can still buy the forks from Ron Kimball at Power Tec. It may have been an old post as I have read tons of post about these bikes since I got hurt and have been confined to the recliner.... I have not spoken to him yet but it is something I need to do. All you can do is ask....

Power Tec Replacement Parts | Kimball Hauler | Heald Hauler | Chi Products | Haulmaster Hauler | Pug | Super Bronc | Trail Bronc | Heald Hauler Parts | Super Bronc Parts | Super Tryke Parts | Haulmaster Hauler Parts

Doug

Last edited:
Yeah, I had figured that the fork wasn't original, but had hoped it was constructed well. No such luck, lol. I'm going to see if I can come up with something that involves reusing the crowns, but there's a good chance I'll need to pick up a replacement.

-Rob

The backbone of his frame is a straight slant down and back, whereas a VT8 or 10 is flat for a bit from the front, then takes off down to the rear.

Rob, I mave have a fork setup that will work for you if you are interested, I believe it is from a VT 3 or 5? They are definitely Heald and have had new uppers welded on but a decent job done. The uppers were from another heald bike. I'll try to find a pic today of them...

Thanks man - it looks like it *may* be a bit narrow for the tire size I'm targeting. Sending a PM to check on the measurements.

-Rob
[MENTION=407]jeep4me[/MENTION] Has the correct Heald fenders for these forks that Studeman has for sale. Wide rear and narrow front. I see that you don't need a rear but either way you end up with 1 wide and 1 narrow fender to go either way you want to build it... Big tire or little tire....

Just an FYI. Other members with way more knowledgeable than me will have to chime in but I don't think that the frame you have was even available with the big front tire. And it may not even fit if you try to use it. Research it before you try it and have to abandon the big tire....

Doug

Last edited: