These old trikes are awesome-so what killed these things?

These 70's trikes are really cool-I really like the the low slung stance and style. So why are these Alsports, Trisports, etc no longer around? We still have minibikes and go karts being made and sold. Why don't we see Coleman trikes powered by 6.5 clones and the like? Liability? Did the Honda Big Red trikes poison the well as far as trikes go even though they put the rider higher up and increase the chances of rolls?

wjustice

My guess is severely reasons. First the Japanese influx and manufacturing capability. Quality, the overall engineering was marginal at best. Size and versatility, what replaced them was smaller and could handle a wider variety of terrain. Some may say the dangers of three wheeler but most of that pressure didn't come about till several years after.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2SlickNick

The 80s... that's what killed them. After people started getting injured and deaths occurred.

Even the local motocross tracks and flat tracks will not let your race or a ride three wheels due to insurance reasons.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the 3 wheel atv type cycles caused the issue. Their center of gravity was too high, and they flip easily.

Look at some of the videos of [MENTION=13654]gumpit[/MENTION] , [MENTION=16616]Harleys Papa[/MENTION], and friends sliding their trikes around the corners when they race. Lower center of gravity, and much more stable.

wjustice

Valid reasons all but the alsports and others were gone well before that. Alsport sold to promark and stopped production by 77-79 and closed. The 3wheeler frenzy was getting into full swing about then.

wjustice

I have paperwork somewhere they were never banned there was a cease production agreement and that was it

The government offered huge tax incentives to the manufactures to cease production. They weren't banned.
The big guys all made other vehicles so they could bear the loss. Most of the small companies, three wheelers were all they made, or such a small income source it just wasn't worth it. example MTD went on to do the obvious MOWERS. Hustler, Sperry, Rupp, ETC.
When we raced N.A.T.V.A. we wouldn't let the Honda ATC's race against us cause they would not slide, the would bounce and the riders were getting there legs run over buy us and themselves. As said above due to there high center of gravity,
Again big guys putting out the small guys.

Last edited: