Thinking about Independance Day

I brought some of our minis and pedals to our small town car show last Saturday. One person to stop by my collection is a neighbor and friend who is a Vietnam Vet. He lost his left arm and leg over there in an APC bomb hit. His story is sometimes hard to listen to, but also heartwarming. When he came back from the war he wanted to not be a burden to the gov. and worked in Minneapolis at 3M until his war wounds progressed and he had to stop. He became a public speaker and has traveled the country to tell his story. He is the last one to say he is a hero, but will always say in his speech that the true heros are the ones who never came back. He speaks to all ages and loves to talk to the kids. I have listened to him several times and know that the room becomes so quiet you can hear a pin drop. He with the help of a woman wrote his life story after the accident and it is called "Left for Dead". Now for the fun stuff, he had a Fox Campus when he was a kid and used it to deliver papers in our small town of 800. Every time he and I start to talk about those old days, he brings up how much he paid for it. Here is how it goes....."yup, paid $169 bucks for mine"........knowing full well what I had to pay:cursing: If you look at the pic attached, you will see him laughing just as he got done telling me one more time how much he paid. When I sit and think about it, the price he paid for the bike seems cheap, but the price he paid for serving our country, is priceless. Thank a vet when you talk to him or her.