thoughts on Tecumseh 5hp engines?

i was looking through craigslist today and all i see is 5hp Tecumseh engines (196-206cc)
(pressure washers, snowblowers, etc)
im thinking of putting one on a old mini bike frame if i can find one (possible budget build?)
im just wondering what, if any experiences have you had with these engines?.
thank you!

LMAO! Did you try and use the search function? There are literally hundreds of vintage builds done with that engine and it's cousins. Many of them have been done, and are documented on this site since you joined.

cfh

I did a write on taking a Tecumseh hs50 from a snow blower and using it on a mini bike. the thread is here:
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/restoring-a-tecumseh-another-way.159401/

Personally i do this all the time. Snowblower motors are great, as they aren't stressed or in a dirty or high temp environment. and generally can be had in the $20 to $100 range. with just a little work, they go great in a mini bike!
cfh
nice post!
ill see if i can find a frame cheap enough.
ive seen broken snowblowers for around 30$ near me, there cheaper in the summer time when no one wants one.

cfh

Yeah now is not really the time to buy snowblowers. Usually they just have carburetor problems because people leave gas in them during the summer and it messes up the carb. I always replace the carb so that’s of no consequence to me

LMAO! Did you try and use the search function? There are literally hundreds of vintage builds done with that engine and it's cousins. Many of them have been done, and are documented on this site since you joined.
yeah BUILDS, not experiences.
im looking to see if these are a good alternative to a predator 212, ( i might just build up a old colt 2 speed mini bike with a stock predator 212, scratch up the decal and paint it matte black, and stretch the frame as well as dump the 2 speed) ;)

cfh

The only bad thing about the snow blower motors is they usually have a steel fly wheel. If you can find one with an aluminum fly it revs a little better for the Minibike application. It’s not a huge deal. But it’s something to think about.

But if you’re using a vintage minibike you can’t beat the look of a flat top tecumseh motor. The predator motors are cool but they just look wrong in a lot of vintage bikes

The only bad thing about the snow blower motors is they usually have a steel fly wheel. If you can find one with an aluminum fly it revs a little better for the Minibike application. It’s not a huge deal. But it’s something to think about.

But if you’re using a vintage minibike you can’t beat the look of a flat top tecumseh motor. The predator motors are cool but they just look wrong in a lot of vintage bikes
yeah, im still looking for a frame.
if i get a vintage frame, ill go with the Tecumseh!
thanks for the info!
wish me luck!