Threaded hole in the bottom of my Raptor carb

Hi guys, I bought a new in box stock Raptor carb and I was looking at it today and noticed that it has a threaded hole in the bottom of the carb, which looks to be for if you are running a stock style Briggs air filter to put the bolt through and screw into. The problem is that I will be using a velocity stack adapter to use a K&N style filter. I first thought that I could just screw a short bolt into it from underneath to seal it off, but it will hit the tank. What have some of you guys done to close it up? :shrug:

Your right, mine must not be a Raptor carb, I can't find the box, it was kinda rough when I got it so I might have thrown it out. That's kinda too bad, but oh well. :shrug:

That's a good idea Yoop, I'll see if I have a set screw that size. :thumbsup:

I'll still look for the box and see if I can find the part number.

Clayon,
The Ruppster 86 is 100% correct. :thumbsup:True "Raptor" carbs do not have a choke lever/plate or the mount/casting with threaded hole at the bottom for an air cleaner bolt. Those items take up valuable space which reduces the air flow through the carb. What you have there is a NOS "regular" Briggs 5 HP carb. If the seller represented this carb as a "Raptor" carb you got screwed.:angry: I sure hope it was not an OldMiniBikes member...
Michael

TBK

Get 2 short set screws and put one on top of the other. Cant rattle out then. Almost ate a bolt thru the carb this weekend. Jammed WOT.

buckeye

I put a screw threw the bottom of mine and it is workimg great. No issues at all. Just ground the head flat enough for clearence.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the help guys. :thumbsup:

Clayon,
The Ruppster 86 is 100% correct. :thumbsup:True "Raptor" carbs do not have a choke lever/plate or the mount/casting with threaded hole at the bottom for an air cleaner bolt. Those items take up valuable space which reduces the air flow through the carb. What you have there is a NOS "regular" Briggs 5 HP carb. If the seller represented this carb as a "Raptor" carb you got screwed.:angry: I sure hope it was not an OldMiniBikes member...
Michael
No Michael it wasn't an OldMiniBikes member, it was a guy on bob's 4 cycle forum. I'm disappointed, I paid $65 shipped for it, but it's not like this carb won't work fine, the flathead I'm building is really basic. Billet flywheel, billet con. rod, 94ss cam, stiffer springs, etc. :shrug:

Clayon,
That is a real shame, and "it could not have happened to a nicer guy" as the saying goes. You are a true gentleman and valuable asset on this forum. Your forum "etiquette", demeanor, and courtesy are duly noted (and appreciated) by this OldMiniBikes member. (Others could learn from you!)
Just to be clear and so you know, the true "Raptor" carbs are engineered and built differently (better) than "regular" Briggs 5 Hp for improved/increased air flow. With the performance build you are doing, I believe that you will lose some performance on the top end with this carb, but I do not know by how much.:shrug:
Michael

rmm727

If that was a NOS carb you still did alright, especially with shipping to Canada. Its just a shame you didn't get as great a deal as you thought.

Thanks Michael I appreciate it. :thumbsup: Ya Ryan it is disappointing, but it's not bad, it will still work, the other pulsa-jet I have it a bit rougher so it's not a huge loss, but like Michael said, the Raptor carb would give me better flow and more top end, but I have another 5hp FH I use as a test motor on my bench, and I am running a higher lift cam and stiffer springs in it and it runs fine with a stock pulsa-jet.

Thanks again guys. :thumbsup:

Clayon,
If really and truly the guy represented it as a "Raptor" carb, I would suggest that you at least contact him and let him know that he was not truthful and that you did not appreciate it.
Michael

No there isn't Buck, there are just threads complaining about sellers, but I'm not going to worry about that. I just want to see what he says.

No there isn't Buck, there are just threads complaining about sellers, but I'm not going to worry about that. I just want to see what he says.
If he is a credible seller and a stand-up guy he will at least reply. If not, (suspected), you will never hear from him.
Michael

125ccCrazy

I know how you feel Clayton, I have been had several times with guys on Bob's karting...hate to say it but there are a lot of shaddy characters over there...

Last edited:
The carb is a part #397135. They are usually better than a true raptor carb when blueprinted for racing. Briggs, to save money, did not finish machining holes for the choke and air filter assemblies. They also did not come with any of the choke parts. Racers would remove the choke assembly, fill the holes (usually with silicone) and install an aftermarket filter adapter. I would rather start with a #397135 than a true raptor carb.

All and all it has been a learning experience, you win some you lose some. :shrug: Thanks for the support guys. :thumbsup: I'll let you know if I hear back from him.