Three things I learned the hard way.

• Don’t get close to a snow blower auger that's turning.
  • Don’t close a garage door by pulling down with your fingers between door segments.
  • Don’t check the tension of a chain with your fingers while it’s moving toward the sprocket.
I'm guilty of the second one..
I now have a roll up door lol..

Addicted 2 Minis

Lets just say I can still play chopsticks on the piano.
One thing I learned the hard way was to make sure your grips are secure to your handlebars prior to doing wheelies. I was riding my dirt bike once and decided to ride a wheelie over the whoopty doo's and when I pulled up, the left grip slipped off the handlebars. Causing all the force to be on the right side. When I came down the forks were all the way to the left, not only did the left side end up in my gut, I went over the front of the bike too. Definitely not something anyone really thinks will happen to them, until it does!.

f4radar

One thing I learned the hard way was to make sure your grips are secure to your handlebars prior to doing wheelies. I was riding my dirt bike once and decided to ride a wheelie over the whoopty doo's and when I pulled up, the left grip slipped off the handlebars. Causing all the force to be on the right side. When I came down the forks were all the way to the left, not only did the left side end up in my gut, I went over the front of the bike too. Definitely not something anyone really thinks will happen to them, until it does!.
I feel your pain. I used a bolt about three inches to long to secure the handle bars on my first minibike. My leg found that bolt as I was flying over the bars after hitting a pot hole in the field. Try keeping a 4 inch wound a secret from your mom for a month when you're 13.

I74

• Don’t get close to a snow blower auger that's turning.
  • Don’t close a garage door by pulling down with your fingers between door segments.
  • Don’t check the tension of a chain with your fingers while it’s moving toward the sprocket.
The 3rd one kind of happened to me on my Rupp, back in the early/mid 70's.
Think I was adjusting my back brake,, & the dumb @$$ neighbor kid pulled the recoil while I had my fingers there,, & ended up getting 7 stitches on the inside bases of my 4th & 5th left fingers, from them getting pinned between the chain & sprocket.
That bike had a ''grafted'' 3 speed tranny with a clutch,, & I must of had it in gear....
Still can see one of the scars.

Think the Rupp was from the early 60's.
Might of been an old Continental or something like it.
It had exposed springs on the front, & the rear shocks were not exposed springs.
Of course,, the back sprocket & rear brake was on the left side.
The engine ''I put in'', was a Briggs,, & remember taking out the governor.
The trans. set up ,, I have no idea what it was, & haven't seen anything like it since.
I do remember though,, that it had like a diaphragm clutch, & was frigg'n awesome,, & it flew !

I

Last edited:

I74

My fingers are cold and numb, just got back from a mini-ride in the rain.
Seems the left mouse button is hard to find when you can't feel it.
Sounds like you might possibly have some nerve damage in that hand,, & or Arthritis & maybe a circulation problem.

Welcome to my world.
Might as well throw age in there as well. :rolleyes:

Playing Bass guitar really helps me with my hands & fingers,, plus an 81mg baby aspirin before I play.
If I didn't play at least a couple of hrs. a week,, I would have at least 3 fingers that will potentially lock up,, ''especially when cold''.
Think the majority of it is from pulling on wrenches most my life,, plus throw in some bike wrecks, frost bite,, & a few other things ….

Sounds like you might possibly have some nerve damage in that hand,, & or Arthritis & maybe a circulation problem.

Welcome to my world.
Might as well throw age in there as well. :rolleyes:

Playing Bass guitar really helps me with my hands & fingers,, plus an 81mg baby aspirin before I play.
If I didn't play at least a couple of hrs. a week,, I would have at least 3 fingers that will potentially lock up,, ''especially when cold''.
Think the majority of it is from pulling on wrenches most my life,, plus throw in some bike wrecks, frost bite,, & a few other things ….
I think in my case it's vasoconstrictiveness from my ADD medicatio....HEY, A squirrel!!!!

Oh yeah, and I am 52!
I gotta get back to my guitar, haven't played it in a while, just not feelin' it....

On 1 of my garbage picked mini bikes, a wards with a 2 hp tecumseh...anyway I stole the clutch off our snow blower and it had no set screws. The clutch was narrower than the shaft so the spacer I used was a washer.....but it had like a 3 inch od. Well while doing doughnut s in the football field in front of a bunch of girls....the washer became a saw. I sliced the top of my left ankle to the bone.

When my mom showed at the hospital she said...there must be a rock star here...there are a bunch of slutty girls in the lobby....then they filled my room...never forget it!

On 1 of my garbage picked mini bikes, a wards with a 2 hp tecumseh...anyway I stole the clutch off our snow blower and it had no set screws. The clutch was narrower than the shaft so the spacer I used was a washer.....but it had like a 3 inch od. Well while doing doughnut s in the football field in front of a bunch of girls....the washer became a saw. I sliced the top of my left ankle to the bone.

When my mom showed at the hospital she said...there must be a rock star here...there are a bunch of slutty girls in the lobby....then they filled my room...never forget it!
Best unfortunate but fortunate man moment, you aren't always rewarded for your pain and suffering...to impress the girls.

Never trust the fasteners holding your front fender on. Check them often. Eating asphalt is no fun, especially if it could have been avoided by perusing common sense maintenance.

While I have gained common sense, (sometimes forcibly) over the years, I still refuse to run a front fender....PROTIP! If you don't run a front fender, run with a full face helmet...you should anyways, but, thats a different story:)