Throttle cable install help needed. 5HP leaf blower B&S

Took a Craigslist chance on a buying vintage 1974 leaf blower to power my Fox Trail Bug. The leaf blower had a broken front wheel which kept it unused in the original owner's shed for more than a few decades. It needs a muffler, but runs well. My issue is I have no idea how to incorporate a throttle cable. On the leaf blower, the cable attached to the bottom of the engine under the gas tank, see pic. If anyone has a pic of the correct set up for a minibike that would help. Another side issue is the gas tank is too big to mount it as it hits the rear fender and still needs to go back to line up with frame slots. Are smaller tanks available?
4.png 3.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg

Steve73

buy the throttle kit. You will be good. Buy a small screw and washer to hold the throttle cable in place because the screw is missing.

Good morning folks.

I guess it depends on the application, it was my experience that the barrel nut and washer held the cable in place.

There are no instructions with the kit, but after you play with it you'll figure it out.

This kit allows you to bring the cable right over the top of the head, from the front of the motor, in line with the carburetor.

The little L shaped bracket attaches to the top of the head, and the barrel nut attaches to the L shaped bracket.

Y'all have a good one.

That kit seems like a simple install winner. Eric from OldMiniBikes said it was for ungoverned engines. Forgive me but what does that mean? My 11 year old will be the operator of the bike after his old man tests it and relives his glory days from 1979.

The governor is inside the motor, but it's lever and springs are external, and the springs are attached to the carburetor in some fashion, so as to 'pull' it back once maximum rpm's have been reached. The governor will prevent the motor from over-revving, and exceeding maximum allowable rpm's.

You don't want to remove the governor, unless you have high performance 'billet' (solid machined) flywheel, and push rod...as the cast flywheels, and push rods can explode when held at above maximum rpm's for an extended period of time.

I did not realize that it was for ungoverned motors, and hope I have not let you astray...I have bought several, and used one...but I didn't remove the governor. Now I think I better look at that motor of mine, and make sure the governor is still intact...lol.

I still think that you can hook it up to a governed Briggs ? But Eric is truly an expert, and I value his advice.

For $7 something though, and the only way I saw to get from here to there, I think I'd give it a try. Or maybe get back in touch with Eric, and see if there's another kit for governed engines.

Keep us posted and have fun with it !

Harquebus

I got just the ticket for you and an illustration I nabbed off the web.

What you need is a decent return spring and a bracket that holds it as you see below.
The key item is the clevis that comes with the throttle kit that Colt 1911 showed you. That's the only specialized item you need.
It's attached to the end of the throttle cable with a set screw but it's connected to the governor control lever (that rotates in the semi-circular cutout) with the cotter pin/split pin inserted from behind. The return spring is then hooked around the pin. Remember to disconnect the factory
kill wire--you don't need the engine dying every time you get off the throttle... :D

Of course you will be switching to stranded throttle cable and not the solid wire that's on the leaf blower now.

I think I found this photo off of the old forum. Don't know who to credit for it.

Older Briggs Go Kart Throttle.JPG

Harquebus

I think you can buy those throttle clevises by themselves. I picked up a 3 pack off that popular auction site for very decent money.

The later Briggs engines & Fun Power models have a slightly different governor control that uses a linear slider with a geared mechanism behind it.
I was looking for the spring mount you need (if you didn't want to fabricate it yourself) and luckily found a diagram that lists its part number (Spring Anchor #5926) and other parts, even though they may not apply to your engine. I believe Item 2 is labeled wrong so I added a red arrow pointing to the actual(?) cable retainer:

Briggs Fun Power Throttle A.jpg

I didn't find a retail source for these parts as separate pieces, but they appear to come as a set, # 692316 Briggs and Stratton Throttle Control.
Just an FYI and sharing info on these later engines. . .