Throttle damper?

Does anyone today make a throttle damper that would keep a Honda GX200 or HF 212 engine running at a constant speed?
Decades ago I remember seeing such a device and as you increase the engine RPM this device would not allow the engine to surge faster keeping the butterfly valve at the setting you are using. I do not remember if it was a captured soft spring or was even a small pneumatic cylinder that did this but it was pretty neat and worked very well.
It was used in rough terrain to prevent the bouncing and shocks of a moving vehicle to cause the engine from increasing speed.

Does anyone today make a throttle damper that would keep a Honda GX200 or HF 212 engine running at a constant speed?
Decades ago I remember seeing such a device and as you increase the engine RPM this device would not allow the engine to surge faster keeping the butterfly valve at the setting you are using. I do not remember if it was a captured soft spring or was even a small pneumatic cylinder that did this but it was pretty neat and worked very well.
It was used in rough terrain to prevent the bouncing and shocks of a moving vehicle to cause the engine from increasing speed.
Rob, you may be thinking of the pneumatic governing system that was used on Briggs 5HP 130202 engines for use on air compressors. Not only did that application limit RPM via governor, it also allowed the engine to accelerate when air pressure dropped in the tank. It was adjustable. The same system is still in use by the way, as I traded a guy an OHV Honda GS for a vice and looked up the pneumatic control for him for use in a pressure washer. It looked the same as the Pneumatic one.

If your governor spring is not strong enough to prevent surging, get rid of it all together and go with a stronger butterfly return spring, either external as a rebound spring, or run a compression spring over the throttle cable with forced tension at idle. Personally, I think anyone mature enough to ride a machine like this, has enough maturity to keep from over-reving the engine, and so don't use governors as a practice. I also don't let my grandkids ride those bikes, but have some other bikes around that are more kid-proof.

Thank you for the replies. The engine I'm using was "built" and does not have the governor anymore. It has the billet flywheel and a RPM throttle stop plate installed. I'm not sure it could be returned to original without disassembling the engine. All the governor mounting points have been tapped out and plugged.
Yes it was the Briggs engine now that you mention it.

does anyone here have a photo of the governor installed on the engine? I may have all the parts and be able to put a back-up engine with a running governor into the bike.