Thunderbird Mini Flat Track

My entry for the 2019 mini bike build off is this Bird Manufacturing Thunderbird that is going to be receiving a makeover Flat Track style!
I was given this project by my father Jim Kemp, and many of you may recognize that name, because he is also entered into this build off. So we are going to have a little friendly father-son competition. I live in Ohio while he lives in NY so you guys don't have to worry about any collusion. So far I have a built clone engine for it that im going to be using, a Rupp tank and a custom made american flag seat. The over all theme is going to be red, white and blue. I hope everyone like the finished product when its done. Im hoping to get a lot done this weekend to make up for my late start, so stay tuned.
20190126_173631.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice , at least the bike is going to get done now , it has been sitting in my shop for 2 years and I haven't had time to get to it , Cant wait until its done so it can come back to New York for me to ride :) :)

Nice , at least the bike is going to get done now , it has been sitting in my shop for 2 years and I haven't had time to get to it , Cant wait until its done so it can come back to New York for me to ride :):)
I don't know about that one... I think this one is gonna have to stay with me in ohio. atleast until i get my PW back.

got a lot done today. got the bike assembled so i could start mocking stuff up and doing some fab work. got my chain guard built, didnt like it, cut it up and rebuilt it. going to grind the welds down, smooth it all out and polish it. also got the exhaust header finished up. I just need to get some more pieces to finish up the exhaust, and then I can start it up. 20190126_205719_resized.jpg 20190126_184136_resized.jpg 20190126_192505_resized.jpg 20190126_205725_resized.jpg 20190116_212441.jpg 20190116_212448.jpg 20190116_212541.jpg
I also got the throttle cable freed up and working right and test fit my new grips 20190126_210226.jpg

got a lot done today. got the bike assembled so i could start mocking stuff up and doing some fab work. got my chain guard built, didnt like it, cut it up and rebuilt it. going to grind the welds down, smooth it all out and polish it. also got the exhaust header finished up. I just need to get some more pieces to finish up the exhaust, and then I can start it up. View attachment 239206 View attachment 239204 View attachment 239205 View attachment 239207 View attachment 239208 View attachment 239209 View attachment 239210
I also got the throttle cable freed up and working right and test fit my new grips View attachment 239211
Nice work, fine welding. Looking forward to the exhaust work.

Nice build! Just to let you know, that's not a Thunderbird, it's a Spoker. Gold wheels and chrome handle bars give it away.
The TBird had painted handle bars, and either silver or matching frame color wheels.

Just a couple of side notes, those skinny tires and scrub brake are not that great if you need to stop in a hurry. #2 You'll need a smaller sprocket if running a Predator. You won't be able to keep the front wheel down if you don't.

Nice build! Just to let you know, that's not a Thunderbird, it's a Spoker. Gold wheels and chrome handle bars give it away.
The TBird had painted handle bars, and either silver or matching frame color wheels.

Just a couple of side notes, those skinny tires and scrub brake are not that great if you need to stop in a hurry. #2 You'll need a smaller sprocket if running a Predator. You won't be able to keep the front wheel down if you don't.
That is a Thunderbird , those aren't the stock bars on it , the wheels are chrome that is rusting away