Tid bit of info

I’m sure most of you know this….maybe some don’t so I thought I’d share….finally getting around to re doing the Gilson survivor I have…love riding it so not a show bike restore, any way trying to keep this one under $1000….point of the ramble is wheels….trying g to keep and reuse rusty crappy wheels….answer…aluminum foil… C86BF9E3-DBC4-4F2D-B5BB-8F23992D7BE2.jpg
After…. AE75326E-4269-4429-85F9-A93D8F6B76D4.jpg
Again not quality but very shinny and usable! Strip of foil, I’ve used water, prefer metal polish…20 minutes a wheel…any way good luck…

desert rat

Coke a cola is the only soft drink that has to be transported under a hazmat placard in its raw form. 1/2 a can will render a car battery completely useless, we tried it for giggles one time. but on a good use , if you are out and about and your battery post are dirty and giving you problems find a can of real coke pore it on the post ( don't get it in side). I'm going to have to try that hack on my road bike spokes they are black not chrome anymore and that looks very good.

It scratches aluminum somewhat as you can see on the hub, but so far no scratches on any chrome….. I have used both you others methods mentioned to great success….. this is just easy busy work…..and I have tried it in hidden areas on new chrome…..

Here’s a fun fact-
Spinach contains high levels of oxalic acid. It also contains high levels of iron, but the amount of oxalic acid in spinach makes it more difficult for the human body to absorb all of that iron.
Which kinda makes sense that it would “attack” the iron in rust.

I74

A 1980 QT50 ''Yamahopper'' that I pretty much just restored.

Chrome on it was pretty jacked up, & I used ''ultra fine'' scotch brite first,, with a mix of WD-40 & Marvel oil.
I layed on the WD & marvel mix,, & let it soak in for awhile,, & then ''very'' lightly going over the surfaces with the scotch brite, trying not to scratch it,, then going over again with the mix & an old micro fiber towel.
For the final,, I then go over it all with Mothers Carnauba ''cleaner wax'' & another micro fiber towel.

100_6647.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

I74

Thanks for the likes on the QT50, Guys. :)

Am in the process of spiffing up my GX for a Memorial - early eve. cruise,, ''If it doesn't rain'' ….

Anyways,,
I noticed that the header & RLV stinger on it was starting to get some surface rust traces here & there.
It's really frigg'n damp around here this time of year, even with parking the bikes & Kart on cardboard,, & covering them up with old bath towels ect.

In reading about Aluminum foil on this thread,, I thought I would give it a try on those parts,, with using a small bit of Mothers mag wheel polish, & using the foil to lightly rub it in.
It worked pretty gosh darn slick,, & then I used an old white soft cotton rag to wipe it off & polish them up. ;)

I