Tillotson 212 22mm carb bolts loosened while riding, now wont start

vegetable

I was riding my mini when i suddenly lost power and when i pulled into my garage i saw my carb manifold bolts on the head were loose. took engine off cause I needed to do an oil change anyway, when i finished reassembly of the carb bolts (tightened down), replaced the gasket on the surface where the manifold meets the head, and now it still wont start

it seems like its starving for fuel but I opened my carburetor up and it is completely clean, no blockages and the float height is to spec. what could be the issue here because at the moment i am at a loss on why it will not start without starting fluid and even then won't stay running

vegetable

What carb and manifold? Does it use a choke or enrichner? Can you post a picture of your setup? Sure sounds like a air leak.
i am using the gps 22mm aftermarket carburetor and their manifold, at the present time no pics on my phone but i have a video of starting it with brake cleaner and opening the throttle

vid wouldnt upload so i uploaded to an external site
https://streamable.com/ulyusu
right now i took it off, checked everything (all of the jets and such were clear) sprayed down with carb cleaner and mounting on the bike tmrw

Since you mentioned pulling the engine to do an oil change, you might like this setup.

Parts 1,2 (x2), and 3 from the link below. They're stock on the Coleman CT200U and make oil changes easy since the oil drains out past the engine plate. I've got this set up on a couple of my bikes.

https://www.colemanpowersportsusa.com/parts/minibikeparts/CT200U/crankcase-assy

I attached a pic from it on one of my bikes. Worth every penny and no more mess. It's not shown on the parts breakdown, but the extension piece threads in where the stock drain plug goes.

Edit: Decided to buy a couple more of those set ups for other bikes I have. Not really worth it now. Coleman wants $25 shipping on $25 of parts. It's less than a pound of stuff and they're way over charging. I refuse to support gouging on shipping like that.

Attachments

Last edited:
Since you mentioned pulling the engine to do an oil change, you might like this setup.

Parts 1,2 (x2), and 3 from the link below. They're stock on the Coleman CT200U and make oil changes easy since the oil drains out past the engine plate. I've got this set up on a couple of my bikes.

https://www.colemanpowersportsusa.com/parts/minibikeparts/CT200U/crankcase-assy

I attached a pic from it on one of my bikes. Worth every penny and no more mess. It's not shown on the parts breakdown, but the extension piece threads in where the stock drain plug goes.

Edit: Decided to buy a couple more of those set ups for other bikes I have. Not really worth it now. Coleman wants $25 shipping on $25 of parts. It's less than a pound of stuff and they're way over charging. I refuse to support gouging on shipping like that.

$14.95 parts...$31.75 shipping to 69145 (commercial address) NOT gonna happen :mad:

Did you physically eye ball and run a wire down your pilot (low speed or idle) jet? Not a burst of air, or a shot of carb cleaner, but an actual wire correctly sized. Sounds exactly like a clogged pilot jet in a Mikuni or clone.

so did you change the slide height by any chance? The enrichner should enable a cold engine to start. The only reason it would not start is if you raised the slide which would reduce starting vacuum and prevent enrichner from operating, or you have a air leak big enough to prevent the engine from pulling fuel from the enrichner.

vegetable

Did you physically eye ball and run a wire down your pilot (low speed or idle) jet? Not a burst of air, or a shot of carb cleaner, but an actual wire correctly sized. Sounds exactly like a clogged pilot jet in a Mikuni or clone.
i did pull the jet out and is there supposed to be a hole through the middle? bc i am pretty sure that was completely blocked when i last checked. I can pull carb and and try running a wire through it and see if that helps

vegetable

so did you change the slide height by any chance? The enrichner should enable a cold engine to start. The only reason it would not start is if you raised the slide which would reduce starting vacuum and prevent enrichner from operating, or you have a air leak big enough to prevent the engine from pulling fuel from the enrichner.
i have it set to where i last had it for idle

So is that a yes? You can set it to a initial setting by closing the slide till it bottoms and then adjust it with the slide height screw to just barely open it about .060. At that point the engine should run with the enrichner enabled unless you have an air leak. You also mentioned you could not see thru the hole in the pilot jet, that is a big issue and it won't idle off the enrichner with that plugged.

vegetable

So is that a yes? You can set it to a initial setting by closing the slide till it bottoms and then adjust it with the slide height screw to just barely open it about .060. At that point the engine should run with the enrichner enabled unless you have an air leak. You also mentioned you could not see thru the hole in the pilot jet, that is a big issue and it won't idle off the enrichner with that plugged.
ok ill pull the jet and poke it with a wire and see if that helps

You also mentioned you could not see thru the hole in the pilot jet, that is a big issue and it won't idle off the enrichner with that plugged.
Had this occur recently on a Hodaka. Started up first kick on enrichner, and died instantly when taken off. Looked at the jet, it looked fine. Looked again, and it was half way plugged. What is that measured in, microns? Really wasn't that visible and air and carb cleaner didn't dislodge it. Had to poke it out. Amazing how much trouble a spec of dirt that can make it's way past the fuel filter can cause. Yes, new fuel filter, and bike had been running regularly. And I don't know how dirt is able to reproduce in the bottoms of float bowls either, but it does. :)

vegetable

ok i poked out the pilot and still nothing, when i looked through it before i did it dodnt seem clogged, nothing was clogged