Tillotson Carburetor For Stage 1?

Sooner79

I’m ready to go to stage 1 on my Hisun 196 clone and I want to replace the carburetor (Coleman BT200X) since it’s non-adjustable and not jet-change friendly. The Tillotson TF-2A-6UA looks and sounds very appealing https://tillotson.ie/shop/tf-2a-6u/ as experimenting with jet sizes wouldn’t be necessary. Has anyone used this carburetor with success? At $40, it seems like a no-brainer if it works like they say it does, however what I‘ve been able to find so far is that it may be difficult to tune and I prefer not to have something that I’m going to have to be screwing with constantly. I don‘t want a Mikuni. If the Tillotson isn‘t a good choice Is their a particular GX200 carburetor or brand that anyone can recommend? I’ve found new ones from $10 and up on-line. Seems like I remember years ago that a rule of thumb was that if you bought one that‘s made in Japan rather than China, it pretty much guaranteed better quality and reliability. Thanks!

F79903FA-2F27-49CF-ABF1-BA88C39F29CB.png

Sooner79

I have no experience with those carbs, but why don't you want a Mikuni? The 22mm round slides are cheap and perform decently.
For several reasons, I suppose - no experience with them, different intake, filter, cable, etc. I already have all of that stuff including jets for the stock type carburetor. I was kind of bummed when I learned that Coleman was using a new unmodifiable version of it. I guess that may be to pass the CA emissions laws.

Sooner79

Thanks for your reply, SAS. I couldn’t get your link to work but I found that carb on the GPS website and as it comes with a .039 main jet wouldn’t it be too rich for just a stage 1 mod? If I put a .036 in it, would I need to do anything else to it? All the stock clone and adjustable carbs on Amazon I can find are weird name super cheap Chinese Ones that are around $12.99 and most have mediocre reviews. I was hoping for something maybe just a step up in quality.

SAS289

Yeah on second thought maybe that isn't the carb you want. They also have a larger idle jet in there.

If I wanted to buy a carb for any of my clones I would get it from ARC Racing. It's a RuiXing carb. It has a larger main bore to flow more air. You would only have to add the jet of your choice. $16.00 Check it out at their website and read the product description..

For several reasons, I suppose - no experience with them, different intake, filter, cable, etc..
Those are excuses, not reasons.

You need to get outside of your comfort zone with minibikes. Mod the fuck out of them and have fun. It's just a minibike. Stock is boring.

The first time I stripped an engine down to a bare case it was super intimidating. Now it's just something that gets done and is no big deal. Your excuses will keep you from doing stuff like that. It's a toy, we're here to help if you mess it up. Just go for it.

Last edited: