Time to play the game. What did I buy.

capguncowboy

I had a 78 model HS40 with points. I think they continued using points in some of their applications for a few years after that started using solid state

The side cover is the same that came on a coil motor h35 i also have, but the flywheel is wider to accept the deep cover and magnets for points if i swap the flywheel to an older points flywheel i suspect i can use the older round top cover with the ridge line in it.

capguncowboy

The side cover is the same that came on a coil motor h35 i also have, but the flywheel is wider to accept the deep cover and magnets for points if i swap the flywheel to an older points flywheel i suspect i can use the older round top cover with the ridge line in it.
I don't know the technical information on timing, or if it'll even work on that engine. My 78 model didn't have the mounts for the solid state coil, just the points style mount behind the flywheel.

what i ment is the cover on the engine has the same shape as a coil motor but its got points. and a flywheel that is wider than the older style flywheel with points.

capguncowboy

I don't think the older style flywheel will work with that engine. I'm pretty sure the taper on the crank is wrong, but it doesn't hurt to check it

i guess i could steal the crank out of an extra h35 side popper i have with points and matching matching flywheel to convert it over. or if the hole is smaller in the flywheel than this crank put it in the lathe and mill it out and cut in a new keyway. but thats going to far......... or is it.

markus

i guess i could steal the crank out of an extra h35 side popper i have with points and matching matching flywheel to convert it over. or if the hole is smaller in the flywheel than this crank put it in the lathe and mill it out and cut in a new keyway. but thats going to far......... or is it.
you would need to swap the cranks out in order to use the older flywheel and shrouds on that engine, it has the larger taper. Its still a small journal block though so the early small frame H parts should all cross. You will need to use the shroud backing plate from the early engine as well to make the conversion.