Tires and tubes

Pull the nuts/bolts and in theory it should come apart. They can be super easy to get apart or F this I'm throwing this thing in the garbage. The second one is why I don't like working on vintage bikes.
Lmao! Funny you said that. I was just watching a vintage mini bike retro on YouTube. When he tried to take the rim apart it literally fell apart.
There's had been sitting outside in the weather though. I'm pretty sure mine may have just been used inside a warehouse. Hopefully.
Thanks for the post.

nightgrider

Your wheels look to be a split wheel type. Remove the 4 bolts and they should come apart. If they don't I've used the pneumatic pressure of inflating the tube to help push the 2 halves of the wheel apart. A standard automotive grease should suffice for packing the bearings/axel.

Last edited:

markus

C indicates carlilse, first digit indicates the month, 5=May, 3rd is the Year, 7= 67,77,87,97 They repeat every 10 years, it is a bit unclear on the last digit, I dont know if that was a plant number or a generation number.

C indicates carlilse, first digit indicates the month, 5=May, 3rd is the Year, 7= 67,77,87,97 They repeat every 10 years, it is a bit unclear on the last digit, I dont know if that was a plant number or a generation number.
Markus,
Once again, thank you. That the 1967 sounds right since the engine code is a 1968.
I think I may have scored an original 3-wheeler here. Paint and all. The only thing that may not be original is the back tire on the box cart side. It is a different brand "General" and size.

Last edited:
Compressed air, they’ll come apart
Works if the tubes hold air...and it can still be a bear separating the rims, pulling the rusted on tire beads off the rusted rims....eeegghhh...been there done that with steel wheels. I've had to use a hack saw to cut the old tire in half, then use cut off wheel to cut the steel bead and then chisel the rusted on tire off the wheel. When you see the cost of a good restored bike after doing this, you realize how cheap they really are!

Works if the tubes hold air...and it can still be a bear separating the rims, pulling the rusted on tire beads off the rusted rims....eeegghhh...been there done that with steel wheels. I've had to use a hack saw to cut the old tire in half, then use cut off wheel to cut the steel bead and then chisel the rusted on tire off the wheel. When you see the cost of a good restored bike after doing this, you realize how cheap they really are!
Hopefully mine don't turn out to be a horror story. Fingers crossed.

Well, the whole idea with blowing air into the tire worked great for awhile. The rims were separating nicely until BOOM!!! it blew the tube apart.
Now how in the heck do I get the inside lip of the rim past the steel lip of the tire?
I worked my way around the whole time with a pry bar but no luck.
I was hoping to salvage the rims and tires since they are original 1967 and just replace the tubes. But .......
Anymore ideas?

Attachments

Are the rim halves separated in the center? Is it that the bead is still stuck.?
Yep, the two rim pieces are separated. The tires aren't stuck to the rims either.
I can't get the outside edge of the rim to clear the steel edge of the tire.
Hope that makes sense.

It's almost like I'm fighting to get an inner lip of a rim past the bead of the tire.
Any examples of what one of these two piece rims looks like without a tire mounted?

Last edited:

Triley41395

Yep, the two rim pieces are separated. The tires aren't stuck to the rims either.
I can't get the outside edge of the rim to clear the steel edge of the tire.
Hope that makes sense.

It's almost like I'm fighting to get an inner lip of a rim past the bead of the tire.
Any examples of what one of these two piece rims looks like without a tire mounted?
It sounds like it's just stuck, there is no inner lip that I know of. I normally can just lay them on the floor and step on them to break the bead.
20220428_190927.jpg

Thank you guys. I'm going to give that a try tomorrow.
Thanks for all the help.
I did drop the engine off today to a local shop to check out.
He said he would keep this mini bike original too. Said he used to work for GE here in NC and they had those same 3-wheelers running around the plant there too.

nightgrider

Thank you guys. I'm going to give that a try tomorrow.
Thanks for all the help.
I did drop the engine off today to a local shop to check out.
He said he would keep this mini bike original too. Said he used to work for GE here in NC and they had those same 3-wheelers running around the plant there too.
Maybe he has some insight on how the throttle/brake was set up.