Tires balloon while going past 60?

I74

The a021 sunf? I have a set on my mm212 pro in 20x7x8. That bike will hit 46 and feels perfectly stable at that speed. Those tires are fantastic although they feel really squirrely off road.
Yea,, it's an AO21. ;)
Definitely look ''real good'' for the street,, but can't see them feasible at all off road.
Gonna wear out the current ''F'' rated tire on back of my GX - 200 first, before I mount the AO21.
That sucker being 6 ply,, ought to last for ''many'' moons.
Really like the tread design on it too.
Reminds me of a high speed European racing F1 rain tread.

Attachments

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Yea,, it's an AO21. ;)
Definitely look ''real good'' for the street,, but can't see them feasible at all off road.
Gonna wear out the current ''F'' rated tire on back of my GX - 200 first, before I mount the AO21.
They work off road as long as it's dry.

I'm trying to be realistic here, and not come across as a jerk...but it's difficult enough to find streets where the local police are cool enough to let you ride safely...you know helmets, and below speed limits.

But trying to haul ass on public streets well over any posted speed limits just gives mini bikes and their riders a bad image.

I am presuming the op is riding on the streets, because with tires like on that bike, they are for sure not going to pass any sort of safety and technical check at a legitimate drag strip.

:)

toomanytoys

This member must be from the Facebook group Mini bike Nation. All they talk about is doing 60, 70 and 80 miles per hour on mini bikes. I think half of them are blowing smoke. Lol. I do 50 mph on my motorcycle and it feels like a 100 mph.
I feel the opposite on a motorcycle. I find myself riding down the interstate at 85 feeling like I'm barely moving. Maybe different bikes feel different.

I've never ridden a cruiser style. I have a versys 300x and a kawaski z900. The z900 always feels slow at the speed limit.

copyman

This member must be from the Facebook group Mini bike Nation. All they talk about is doing 60, 70 and 80 miles per hour on mini bikes. I think half of them are blowing smoke. Lol. I do 50 mph on my motorcycle and it feels like a 100 mph.
I agree no sane person is going that fast on a "Mini Bike". Why would you want to unless a death wish. Might as well add NO2 tank and that nitrous might get you up to 80-100 mph. Ha-ha

If Michelin made tires for mini bikes I still wouldn't go over 40 MPH! My Hilltopper has been up to 35 mph and it feels dangerous fast to me. Going even 35 mph I know if something breaks and you take a spill you are getting seriously hurt. Maybe when I was younger and did stupid things wouldn't think twice. Let's not forget 40 mph on a mini bike is like going 75 on a full size motorcycle or car.

Take care and at least wear a helmet going crazy fast!

I74

I agree no sane person is going that fast on a "Mini Bike". Why would you want to unless a death wish. Might as well add NO2 tank and that nitrous might get you up to 80-100 mph. Ha-ha

If Michelin made tires for mini bikes I still wouldn't go over 40 MPH! My Hilltopper has been up to 35 mph and it feels dangerous fast to me. Going even 35 mph I know if something breaks and you take a spill you are getting seriously hurt. Maybe when I was younger and did stupid things wouldn't think twice. Let's not forget 40 mph on a mini bike is like going 75 on a full size motorcycle or car.

Take care and at least wear a helmet going crazy fast!
I would try it,, if it was a special purpose built ''stretched '' drag bike,, but that's it.

Safe feeling all around ''smooth'' upper cruising speeds on my GX-200,, is about 28 - 30 mph.
That's also on smooth roads, with decent street tires,, & front end lower leg/fork brace.

Last edited:
Yea,, it's an AO21. ;)
Might check those out

I'm trying to be realistic here, and not come across as a jerk...but it's difficult enough to find streets where the local police are cool enough to let you ride safely...you know helmets, and below speed limits.

But trying to haul ass on public streets well over any posted speed limits just gives mini bikes and their riders a bad image.

I am presuming the op is riding on the streets, because with tires like on that bike, they are for sure not going to pass any sort of safety and technical check at a legitimate drag strip.

:)
I understand cops here aren’t bad as long as you respect them and know your place when I’m contact with one you’d be good. The cops in my neighborhood are amazing I know at least 10 that change shifts and sometimes pass by. They are really cool as long as I’m not doing wheelies on main roads or going over the speed limit on main roads their fine with it. There’s this bus lane right next to my house and I asked a cop once for permission and he said yeah feel free as long as I don’t cause trouble. Great guy one of my favorites and that’s where I do my speed runs plus I’m known for being one of the better people in my neighborhood I wave at everyone have friendly small talk everyone doesn’t seem to mind me, I’m usually riding with a cool helmet or a funny costume to get laughs and giggles here and there and everyone loves it! Sooner or later I’ll get a dirtbike but moneys tight right now. But I can assure you I’m bringing more positivity to the minibike community than negative.

You could just change to a 8"rim trailer tire they are rated for highway speeds. Then you can go 65 or 75 and know the tires are OK!
Yes but those tires don’t have the gearing that works for me if I were to do that it’d be harder wheeling and my gear ratio would be wack probably a 3:1 ratio! Big wheels don’t have big sprockets

My CT200U is running a somewhat similar setup to what OP has (they have a bigger cam and carb). IF they truly have the mods they say they do I don't doubt their 60mph claim. I've been a legit 60mph on my stage 2+ CT200U with a torque converter and a 53t rear sprocket (same sprocket size as OP) with a slightly taller tire. I'm running the 15" tire from GPS on a 6" wheel on my bike. My bike is totally stable at those speeds and it doesn't feel sketchy at all. It's spinning right at 7,000 rpm and I'm getting a bit of belt slip. I'm also hitting 60mph in under 600' with mine and it's a handful to get it launched.

I'm going to call BS on his claim of being able to do 75+mph though. If he really changes the gearing it could be possible. He's limited without buying an expensive clutch.

Attachments

Latent

My CT200U is running a somewhat similar setup to what OP has (they have a bigger cam and carb). IF they truly have the mods they say they do I don't doubt their 60mph claim. I've been a legit 60mph on my stage 2+ CT200U with a torque converter and a 53t rear sprocket (same sprocket size as OP) with a slightly taller tire. I'm running the 15" tire from GPS on a 6" wheel on my bike. My bike is totally stable at those speeds and it doesn't feel sketchy at all. It's spinning right at 7,000 rpm and I'm getting a bit of belt slip. I'm also hitting 60mph in under 600' with mine and it's a handful to get it launched.

I'm going to call BS on his claim of being able to do 75+mph though. If he really changes the gearing it could be possible. He's limited without buying an expensive clutch.
What size is your tav 2 sprocket, and what size is that driven 6" ? What spring color, and what slot is the spring in ? Nice bike

Also to OP - make sure you check the speed rating on your tires. I'm running tires with J rating which is up to 62 mph. They are from SUNF 15"

Latent

6" driven with a 12t front sprocket. It's got the red spring in the stock location. I haven't bothered messing around with that yet.
I'm using the juggernaut with a 7" driven 12t front sprocket 15" tires with 59 in the rear. What do you think I should do for more speed? I got stock spring (gray) in 3rd hole (stock location for a 7" driven)

Not sure if its the 7" driven or if its the gear ratio of 5.9

Last edited:
I watched one of those videos where the guy did like 83, I was thinking yeah right but he had the GPS going the whole time. It was a MM-80 with those 10” AZUSA steel wheels and scooter tires. I don’t remember what sprockets he was running but it had a torque converter on it, he kept shredding belts. Some people really push their luck, I’m happy with my 30 Mph., of course 30 on a 4” tire bike feels like 60.

I74

Some info on the MM-80 /105/E-1000 frames.
I think that they are pretty much the strongest ''smaller'' Mini frames ever made.
That's why I did my 4 builds with those frames.
The only down fall on those,, is that the rear axel alignment can be off a bit ,, & you have to shim the ''left'' rear axel bore a bit on the front side of it- ''kicking that side axel back'',, to keep the left side of the rear tire from wearing.
Plus you have the torque pull from the chain on that side generally, trying to pull that side forward.
Any bike will generally wear the left of the rear tire first though,, because you usually turn more left anyways, plus the crown of the road ,, because of riding on the right side, ''if riding on the street here in the USA''. :)
It is hit & miss on those frames ,, on rear axel alignment.
2 out of the 4 frames,, I didn't have to shim.

I

Last edited: