Tom thumb trike mock up

I have decided to shoe horn the West Bend 820 into the Tom Thumb frame. I cleaned all the frame and mocked up the rear axle, wheels, slicks spocket and engine. I have to move the carb off the top of the engine and use a bottom stuffer for the carb. I found an NOS GEM unit in Calif and it is on its way. I also ordered a 1/4 inch side motor plate mount and this will be fabricated with a 1/4 inch frame engine plate with adjustment holes in it.By moving the carb off the top, the engine will be more centered in the fame and I can also move it back some to try to get the chain as short as possible. I will run a mechanical disc brake on the left side and route the cable along the frame.I had to stay with the 250/280 front tire as I had no space to run a larger tire in between the forks but with the rear axle mounted as pictured it won't be too far out of level--just a small rake but it sure does illustrate the BIG/LITTLE theory.Got held up picking up parts in Buffalo because of the storm but will get them this week and start welding up the hangers and engine plate. Going to stay with the 8HP that this engine is--could go higher by removing 1 head gasket but afraid the pull cord would do damage to my arm. Measure 40 times and re-check 80 times but having fun--stay tuned--cheers Bill.

I forgot to mention that the rear brackets are staying on as I will build a set of wheelie bars for the bike--I think it's going to need them.

Hi Bill that looks cool. I think you started a new thread instead of adding this to your build thread. Maybe one of these guys on here knows how to move it over for you. This is a one of a kind build. :thumbsup:

Just a short update. Still waiting for the balance of my parts so I started on engine. Found an NOS bottom mount carb stuffer plate and a new top block off plate from the 820 Guru in Calif. Went through the engine and re-assembled it with new Tillotson carb and linkage.Also got the 1/4 inch side motor mount plate. Started to finish grind the frame welds to smooth them out.Got a line on vintage Margay wheels with 410/5 slicks. May switch from my 4 inch wheel so I can swing a larger spocket. With the carb off the top of the motor I can move it back to shorten up chain length--thanks to Jimmy with his Tom Thumb Taco who told me that with the huge torque on this motor it will toss chains real easily. Gear ratio will be critical as I want to ride this rocket and will be installing wheelie bars. Next up is to weld it together--later Bill.

Thanks guys for the comments. I am looking for a clutch to use. I called Max Torque and they have one for the WB820 but it is pricey. I would like to see if I could find a used one as my costs on this beast are starting to add up. If anyone knows where I could find one I would appreciate it.They are a specific clutch as the crank is stepped--thanks for the help.

Tom thumb trike

Update--have assembled all the parts(I hope). Got the new engine plate installed and the engine positioned in the frame. There's lots of room in here! Off to the welding shop next week so I will finally have a roller. Using the disc brake unit off a pocket bike(didn't mean to swear) but have to make up an axle adapter to hold the disc.Am changing the rear tires to 5"x 6" wide-Bridgestones.Will post pics when welded up and rolling.:smile: