Torque Converter Cover Fabrication

Hello, I have a MTD mini bike and need a custom torque converter cover. It has a 7” rear Fairbanks Morse rear pulley and a Comet drive pulls. Can anyone suggest a fabricator? Steel that I would have chromed. Thanks. Drew Pallett

mustangfrank

Hello, I have a MTD mini bike and need a custom torque converter cover. It has a 7” rear Fairbanks Morse rear pulley and a Comet drive pulls. Can anyone suggest a fabricator? Steel that I would have chromed. Thanks. Drew Pallett
Guessing you're going to have to find one in Canadia at least until August when/if they open the border fully? Do you have the original cover to base the new one from or even modify?

Post some pics.

mustangfrank

No problem shipping to Canada if the fabricator has enough photos and measurements to fabricate.
Your MTD looks pretty clean!

Short answer is I don't know any fabricators that would make it remotely unless they had precise drawings, hopefully one of the Canadian members can recommend someone.

Are you locked in to making a custom cover? I just picked up another factory cover (originally chrome too), it looks like it would still fit with a custom engine bracket especially if you can move the engine back in the adjustment slots (it looks maxed out forward). They are out there, didn't take me too long to find it as part of an incomplete MTD/parts lot. Factory design has the indent on the bottom to allow some room on the foot peg which is necessary as it is a rather large clutch cover compared to others.

20210717_184032.jpg 20210717_184049.jpg 20210717_184212.jpg

Last edited:
I have a cover just like yours, but it is a bit too tight, both lengthwise and around the rear pulley (rubs). I could cut part of it away, but that would wreck a vintage cover.

Drew

mustangfrank

I have a cover just like yours, but it is a bit too tight, both lengthwise and around the rear pulley (rubs). I could cut part of it away, but that would wreck a vintage cover.

Drew
Gotcha, that's why I asked a few posts back, makes it a lot easier for a fabricator to visualize if they have something to base it off of. Again, your engine looks like it is using up all the slot adjustment forward, the belt looks tight even. Also noticed your rear clutch cover bracket looks like it is sitting taller than the later cover (mine) but I'm relying on your pictures to judge. The earlier covers are shallower and are even smaller in overall size.

I agree totally about not cutting up a nice original cover, good luck in your search.

The 7” driven is what is killing you.
Del Ray made a custom cover for his 7” driven, but that was a comet driven if I remember right and it had a plastic cover.
I was able to use a plastic comet cover (6” driven) on my MTD, but I used the aluminum comet mounting plate, and had to modify (cut/grind) the plate to make it work.

mustangfrank

The 7” driven is what is killing you.
Del Ray made a custom cover for his 7” driven, but that was a comet driven if I remember right and it had a plastic cover.
I was able to use a plastic comet cover (6” driven) on my MTD, but I used the aluminum comet mounting plate, and had to modify (cut/grind) the plate to make it work.
Is it actually 7"? He stated that but in the picture it looks like the tape measure is going down past the frame.

mustangfrank

I was just going by what he posted.
I was more or less just conversing with you, we seem more interested in the issue than the OP. :D

If it was my project I'd just dump the FM driven put a 6" Comet on, use the original cover and buy a few cases of beer with the $$$ savings. I was just curious if the original cover and FM clutch on the bike were original to his MTD and was assembled together at one point or if this a bunch of parts.