Torque Converter Driver slipping - cause?

I finally figured out why the motor is revving so high so quick. I can hold my feet down on the ground while I hit the throttle and see the driver (clutch) spinning while the bike stays stationary. I see that he belt is angled on both sides.
Do i have a worn out clutch, or is the belt the wrong type?

any clue on what the right belt size is? where to purchase one? are they proprietary to the set up on my MTD Columbia, or are there universal belts i can use?:shrug:

Ahhhh this explains a lot....slick setup for some thing cobbled together but as I'm sure you've figured out there's nothing variable speed about it, it's just pulleys attached to a standard centrifical clutch.

What yo need to do is find the right driver, make sure your driven is working as it should then buy the correct belt....you should be flying sown the road in no time:scooter:

yeah, and the other things I've discovered whilst dismounting the engine last night were equally discomforting. Seems the Briggs 5HP the previous owner had mounted on was just mounted through 4 drilled holes through the mounting plate. Not slotted at all. And one of the holes was just about to go through the bottom tubing on the right side of the bike. I don't know how they even got the bolts torqued down from the bottom. they were ALL THE WAY flush up against the tubing. I had to clamp on with a vice grip and use a wrench to unscrew from the top of the engine mounting plate. idiots. Needless to say, it'd be nice to find an original HS40 to go on the bike. Here are more pics of the clutch and driven.

george3

when you put the driven back together did you clock the outer have of the pully to the first bumper? you have to turn the outer half of the pully counter clockwise just past the bumper, then put it together try that first. it has to have spring tention.

Last edited:
i never pulled the driven "apart". It's sitting on the bike as you see it in the pictures. The driver was the problem, it's a stinkin clutch pulley. I just ordered a 20 series Comet driver and driven this morning. Problem solved. Just have to order the belt after I measure cl to cl on the two cranks.
BIG THANKS to useng1.:thumbsup::thumbsup: