Torque Converter Driver Upgrade

Good morning all. I wanted to see what you guys are running for a torque converter driver. I have a GTC TC2 torque converter 30 Series and with the recent upgrades to my Predator 212, it seems as the torque converter is hindering it from the top end it wants to produce. Once I get it going it's maxing out around 4600 RPMs. The engine wants to produce more but the converter just lags. Is there a different driver clutch I can put on this that will run at a higher RPM. The only feed back I received previously was for the Juggernaut but they are out of stock and I'm sure the wait list is long. Any recommendations?

Have you tried heavier springs in the clutch to raise the engagement rpm?
I haven't. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference to the high end, but then again I really didn't look into it much other than watching a youtube video on it. I should look into it a little more. Thank you!!!

joshua. c.

lighter weight aluminum pucks set up with the correct springs should help. I have a set but haven't tried them yet. I like around the 3100 rpm range for engagement. I have tried a higher engagement but my engine just revved higher without any gain in speed. a spacer designed to stop the clutch from reaching overdrive may also help (would have to be home made) and don't forget the yellow spring for the driven clutch set to the tightest setting to slow down the clutch's up shift.
there is a thread hear somewhere where the overdrive spacer is discussed. its a thin ring that goes over the drivers bushing and stops the clutch sheave from fully moving

SAS289

Good morning all. I wanted to see what you guys are running for a torque converter driver. I have a GTC TC2 torque converter 30 Series and with the recent upgrades to my Predator 212, it seems as the torque converter is hindering it from the top end it wants to produce. Once I get it going it's maxing out around 4600 RPMs. The engine wants to produce more but the converter just lags. Is there a different driver clutch I can put on this that will run at a higher RPM. The only feed back I received previously was for the Juggernaut but they are out of stock and I'm sure the wait list is long. Any recommendations?
The converter isn't lagging you are just running out of engine with the given load and gearing at top speed.

lighter weight aluminum pucks set up with the correct springs should help. I have a set but haven't tried them yet. I like around the 3100 rpm range for engagement. I have tried a higher engagement but my engine just revved higher without any gain in speed. a spacer designed to stop the clutch from reaching overdrive may also help (would have to be home made) and don't forget the yellow spring for the driven clutch set to the tightest setting to slow down the clutch's up shift.
there is a thread hear somewhere where the overdrive spacer is discussed. its a thin ring that goes over the drivers bushing and stops the clutch sheave from fully moving
The converter isn't lagging you are just running out of engine with the given load and gearing at top speed.
I have the stock sprocket on the wheel and a 10t on the converter. My driven is a green spring and its 4 years old, probably due for a change anyway. I'll pick up the yellow spring (thank you!). Do you think I should run the yellow spring tight or leave it in the middle notch? I run the green spring tight. I just put a cam in there with longer duration but factory height, I was expecting to get a little more than 600 rpm increase out of it. The way it feels when you drive it though is like the engine is going but you can feel it wants to go faster, but something is holding it back. I'm going to see what the Juggernaut does and I'll throw the yellow spring on the driven, see what happens.

SAS289

IMO if you got a 600 RPM increase at top speed with the same drive train you started with you did pretty good.

If you look at my question in your predator thread I asked why the 26ib springs? The reason I asked that was because I didn't think you would ever see the RPM that those springs support.

I'm near the end of a Coleman build. My plan is a better and slightly more powerful engine than stock. I went with a CL1 original cam to keep it mild. I laughed to myself when I read the max RPM spec because I know the engine will never see 5200 plus RPM on the trail or road even with the non stock gearing I will be using with a China TAV2. The stock springs (they are new) will work with this cam. There's no need for heavier springs. If I wanted 7000 RPM's I wouldn't have gotten the TAV2 for it. A clutch, the stock jackshaft and the 10/1 gearing are more suited for that.

But yeah your next step should be the juggernaut and yellow driven spring.

Last edited:
IMO if you got a 600 RPM increase at top speed with the same drive train you started with you did pretty good.

If you look at my question in your predator thread I asked why the 26ib springs? The reason I asked that was because I didn't think you would ever see the RPM that those springs support.

I'm near the end of a Coleman build. My plan is a better and slightly more powerful engine than stock. I went with a CL1 original cam to keep it mild. I laughed to myself when I read the max RPM spec because I know the engine will never see 5200 plus RPM on the trail or road even with the non stock gearing I will be using with a China TAV2. The stock springs (they are new) will work with this cam. There's no need for heavier springs. If I wanted 7000 RPM's I wouldn't have gotten the TAV2 for it. A clutch, the stock jackshaft and the 10/1 gearing are more suited for that.

But yeah your next step should be the juggernaut and yellow driven spring.
Yea, the cam that I picked up requires 26 lbs springs. I felt like that may have been a little much but, that's what it called for. I'm hoping that the Juggernaut remedies everything. I just put the order in for the yellow spring and some insert buttons, I have a chip taken off one of them. Do you think I should change the wheel sprocket out for a little more high end. I don't know much of anything about gearing yet, I haven't had to look into it prior but I think it would be a good time to start.

SAS289

You should probably get the juggernaut and spring as the next step. The problem with a gearing change is what happens at the low end. Next thing you know the bike will want to wheelie too much requiring even more careful throttle control from a start and in low speed trail riding conditions. I'm a little concerned about this with my build but can easily go back toward the stock gearing if needed. With the extra sprockets (60 and 9 tooth) I have 4 gearing options at only a cost of around $45. No huge loss if I use only one of the 2. I suspect the 60 tooth will be there to stay.

From everything I have ever read and heard about mini bikes and go karts I have come to the conclusion that people focus too much on engine power when they should be just as interested in how to gear for their objective. Just my opinion.

You should probably get the juggernaut and spring as the next step. The problem with a gearing change is what happens at the low end. Next thing you know the bike will want to wheelie too much requiring even more careful throttle control from a start and in low speed trail riding conditions. I'm a little concerned about this with my build but can easily go back toward the stock gearing if needed. With the extra sprockets (60 and 9 tooth) I have 4 gearing options at only a cost of around $45. No huge loss if I use only one of the 2. I suspect the 60 tooth will be there to stay.

From everything I have ever read and heard about mini bikes and go karts I have come to the conclusion that people focus too much on engine power when they should be just as interested in how to gear for their objective. Just my opinion.
Yea, that bike wants to lift when I open it, A LOT of torque on it, and since the cam upgrade it's even more squirrelly! I was hoping to maybe gear that down a little and get some of that power to the high end. I'm going to do some reading about the hearing so I at least have an idea what I'm talking about. Again, I appreciate you and all your help!